Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• second attempt.

I'm not sure what happened then. I got up to have a pee and on my return the screen was blank. Let's hope I don't need a ****. Someone might steal the ipad.

I'm looking for someone else to talk to. My wife has just retired. She expects me to talk to her now she's home. I can't think of anything to say. She says she values my opinion on domestic matters. I really haven't had an opinion since we were married - unless it is hers.

Lets get to photography. I always have an opinion on that.

Like most people of my age (the dark side of 70) photography has been an integral part of my life. Not in a life changing way; more in an effective manner, making subtle differences and influencing how I might see things differently.

I remember the first photo I took. It was of my pet rabbit. It must have been a special occasion. We ate the rabbit for dinner that evening.From that point on I recall the camera never being far from reach, happily recording the practicalities of life in the dingo family. Pictures of the family outings to the beach, celebration, a new member of the family, a new rabbit just before dinner. I never named the rabbits although my mother did as I recall. Such names as Baked, Stewed and Escaped come to mind.

By the time I reached late teens I owned a camera of my own. At uni I took a little more interest in the process and art involved. I met my first wife in the dark room at uni. She seemed so appealing under the glow of a dim red light. Her appeal continued into day light as did my career as a science and photography teacher (and father). Don't laugh. It wasn't funny at the time.

Teaching provided me with an income while I followed my other non-paying pursuits. There was no ambition to become a professional photograph. Why would I want to ruin a perfectly good hobby for the sake of the vague notion that I might be famous. Instead, I could do as I please, yet still enjoy Marilyn lying face up on a soft sheet and pretend it was me she was asking to have sex with instead of that dickhead Douglas Kirkman.( the idiot turned her down).What do they say? the one you turn down is one you never get back.

My interest were restricted (by my then wife) to ordinary things. I might have her to thank for my overwhelming passion for the ordinary. I have little else to thank her for. She burnt all my negs from 1967 to 1996. Ouch!

At some point I was told I am what is called a Street Photographer. I don't know what that is but it sounds about right. I do spend a lot of time in the street with a camera. You can be the judge of that.
    I also have a great interest in the history and development of photography and its place in our sociaety and our psychology. I'll try not to bore you with that too much but I might ask a lot of questions. Don't be offended. Just imagine I'm a grumpy old retired school teacher with time o my hands - which is exactly what I am

I had better post this before it disappears or I need to go to the loo again. It happens at my age: things disappearing and going to the loo.

I'll have a go at posting some pictures soon. I might even ask some questions.

And if I disappear its because my current wife#2 has placed an order in or I'm attending my own funeral. I'm not a well man. Probably just Man Flu but you know how it is for us blokes.

cheers
    dingo

Welcome dingo and thanks for the entertaining read ...... I'm sure you will fit in just fine with this crowd.
    Barb
    "If you change the way you look at things ........ the things you look at change"

Comment

Welcome to our happy family of Photographers Dingo. All types here and I think, going on your introduction - which is very witty I must say, that we now have another "type". We'll all be looking forward to your posts and if you need a hand on how to post your images, there's a guide on the top menu named "UPLOADING IMAGES TO YOUR POSTS". Again, welcome and have fun.
      I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
      "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

One old bugger to another "Welcome"

Comment

Welcome aboard Dingo. I think you will like it here.
          Cheers, Brad.

Comment

Dingo, it's so good to have you with us. I assure you, you fit in just fine. Quite a few of the regulars here have Seniors Cards, me included. We do have a few youngsters that call in occasionally, and we try not to discriminate against them and make them feel welcome. However, their hip, young people's talk can be, like, hard to understand at times.

And your background is very similar to mine. Me, a retired teacher (music, photography, computing stuff) . Photography from an early age. In fact, I recently found what I think is my very first photo, taken at the age of about 7 or 8 with my father's camera. Might scan it and post up. Could be an amusing thread for others to contribute to.

And yea, domestic matters and opinions. My opinions are always valued, provided I don't say anything stupid. You know what I mean.

Some people have been finding a few glitches with the site. Not sure what the cause is. I think it's mainly the more senior members with their Pentium IIs and CRT monitors, but who knows. Dial-up connections don't help either. (I was making a joke, so no messages of outrage from members, please.) I hope it works OK for you. Let me know how you go.

And take care with your health. It has been scientifically demonstrated that Man Flu is a potentially serious condition, not to be ignored. It's all to do with male hormones and stuff like that.
            Charles

My indecision is final, I think.

Comment

Welcome Dingo, I'm another retired teacher but more through Government restructure rather than choice. At least I was able to go back to my trade and retired from that a couple of years ago. Love the humour and your approach to photography.

Comment

Here I was thinking I could escape from schoolies. Never mind. I've had a few career paths in my time. Court photographer in the 70's, builder in the 80's, teacher of the vision impaired, cabinet maker, education consultant and advisor, general domestic duties. Seems likes I just couldn't really make up my mind. I don't really identify with any of them any more. I don't even like retirement all that much. Too much time on my hands. I treat photography like I do speaking and writing: it helps to pass the time.

Comment

Welcome from a non-schoolie. I retired from school at 14 and have never looked back. Became my own teacher in a way so perhaps there is no escape.

Hope you find a way to survive the funeral and retirement. Much bliss to be had in the later years.
                  -----------------------------------------------------
                  Question everything ~ Christopher Hitchins

Comment

Working...
                  X