Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from the Perth Hills

Hi all,

I'm an old fellow living on a bush block in the eastern hills outside Perth. We have numerous birds and other wildlife sharing the block with us, and a good array of wildflowers. So I tend to take a fairly slack approach to photography by just wandering around near the house, taking shots of the locals and the scenery. Please let me know when the pictures of galahs, bandicoots, lizards, etc get a bit too repetitive!

Every year I make a resolution to do a more detailed job of learning the settings on the camera, and getting a better grip on it all..... And then I wander outside and start snapping away in the same erratic fashion as before.... but some of them come out. And I just took out a year's subscription to the Photoshop/Lightroom package, which I've never had before. So I now have an incentive to extract the digit and learn how to use them. Maybe 2018 will be the year that I gain some mastery.... so I look forward to your tips and discussions.

Cheers,

Chris
    Two wild galahs grooming yesterday. It was heavily cropped from a much bigger picture taken in poor early light so I was quite pleased to get some detail.
    Last edited by ChrisC333; 13-12-2017, 12:38 AM.

If I recall correctly this was taken yesterday too. So in honour of the magpie recently being polled as Australian Bird of the Year, here's the one millionth magpie shot in its honour. A proud award winner about to stuff some food into the waiting beak of a squawking youngster.

OK, enough birds for now...

Comment

Lovely shots Chris, Iím a softy for wildlife so keep them coming.
      It's the little things!

Cheers, Greg C.

Comment

Welcome aboard Chris. It's good to see a new member join us, and be ready to post right away.

You'll find many fellow photographers here to connect with, and quite a few old blokes as well.

BTW, you can't have too many photos of galahs, bandicoots, lizzards. Same for roos and especially poodles!
        Charles

My indecision is final, I think.

Comment

Welcome Chris. Look forward to seeing more around your place. If it's anything like Hans I'll never get tired of seeing it.

Comment

Thank you all so much for your kind welcomes.

I should stop spamming this thread with pictures and spend some more time exploring the rest of the site and all of your shots. But I don't seem to have got the hang go posting photos that display fully in the post. So I'll have another try. But first - if all else fails, read the instructions, which I now see are prominently linked to at the top of the page...

From Monday I think. Bandicoot having a drink. Apparently they don't mind drinking the bird's bathwater...
            Attachment

Comment

Great to have you as a new member here Chris. Welcome to our family. I hope you enjoy it here. It appears from your images that you have got a handle on this photography thing so your images will always be a pleasure to view - so keep them coming. I see you have a Canon 5D Mk 4. What lens do you use for your "around the house" snaps? I also note you use shutter priority which I use also. I see you have the posting thing worked out as well. I'm interested to know how you shrink your images for posting. 1024 on the longest side is perfect for our forum and size under 250kb. The image quality of the above (which I must say is just wonderful - natural colours and well framed) seems good at under 70kb so you can bump that up a bit if you like. Once again WELCOME and looking forward to your contribution - be it pictorial or words of wisdom.
              IShootACanon

Web: isacimages.com.au
              "Don't touch". Must be the scariest thing to read in braille!

My Gear
              Proudly supporting Kaarakin Black Cockatoo Conservation Centre

Comment

Thank you very much Isac for such a generous welcome.

I'm afraid you won't get much from me by way of words of wisdom, but I do have plenty of pictures.... I'm the classic happy home snapper who hasn't got around to learning how to use the gear to its full potential yet. So I'm hoping that belonging here, and asking questions, will spur me on to doing a better job of it.

I often do use shutter priority, but I swap around a lot. The light here is always tricky as we have lots of trees around. So it's often still a bit gloomy when the wildlife is feeding in the morning. Then as the day progresses it's a mixture of bright sunlight and shadows, so it can be hard to get the subjects lit in a useful way. I'm forever fiddling with settings to try and get some kind of ideal balance. I have a couple of custom settings - one that 'should' be better for birds in flight (1/1250th sec) and another with an aperture setting that might be better for those "bird on a stick" shots. But I never really know what sort of shot I'm about to take next, as birds are so quick to react, and refuse to be directed to pose! So I get a lot of pictures that were taken on the wrong setting for the style of shot! I just enjoy being out there among them all.

I use the included viewing software on a Mac - called Preview - for resizing. And I've just bought a Canon 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 L IS USM lens, so I'm hammering that one at the moment. I was using the non - L version Canon 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 lens before that. A perfectly good lens too, but I wanted to experience what an L lens is like. I feel a bit of a fraud with a 5D and an L lens, but when I hit 70 I thought it was time to lash out and get the sort of gear I'd always coveted but never felt I could justify - and to get on and do it before my Use-By date arrived! I also have a 600D with the two kit lenses (which do a good job) and a 7D. So I didn't actually need better gear at all... but I had never owned a full frame sensor camera, so why not?...

Good to see you support Kaarakin - I must admit I have only just learned about it via your signature. Great to hear the cockies are being cared for. We get them coming through here a lot. We have nearly 20 native Persoonia trees on the block and the red tailed cockatoos love them. They're also called 'Snottygobble' and they have small olive-like fruit on them. The cockies stripped all the ones with fruit on almost bare, and threw most of the foliage and fruit on the ground. But the trees must be used to it as they seem to be bouncing back with new growth now.

Cheers,

Chris

Just to show that the flash gear isn't always necessary, here's a shot from years ago taken with the Canon 600D and an inexpensive kit lens. It's been very heavily cropped (down to a fraction of the full sized picture) and it has been fairly crudely sharpened with whatever basic photo storage program I had at the time. Sometimes the ducks do all line up and the focus just works. I think it probably just happens a bit more often with the pricier gear. I hope so anyway...

Making honey from Garlic Chive flowers. I wonder what that would have tasted like?
                Attachment
                Last edited by ChrisC333; 13-12-2017, 04:30 PM.

Comment

You are very welcome here Chris and thank you for all of the info above. It's good to know about new members backgrounds and what floats their boat. I just happen to be a PC guy so unfortunately I won't be much help with your MAC editing. I've been a Photoshop tragic since the 80's and it's what I know. I do hope you're happy with the 5D and new lens. The red tails do love the Snottygobbles and they will take anything they can get if there are no Marri and Jarrah trees about. Sad to say, they will become extinct because ... (another story). Again, great to see you here. P.S. Good shot of the bee! I do love a good bee shot (as does eaglem) - they love my little gem magnolias.
                  IShootACanon

Web: isacimages.com.au
                  "Don't touch". Must be the scariest thing to read in braille!

My Gear
                  Proudly supporting Kaarakin Black Cockatoo Conservation Centre

Comment

Welcome to this group Chris. I was in a similar situation and have lots of old pictures some of which I have gone back to, as I learn more about post processing. Isac has been a great help. I bought a motorcycle instead of a new camera have a EOS450 and a 60D Every now and than feel the want for a full frame but the feeling eventually passes. I also live on a block but mainly have views rather than walks.
                    Enjoyed seeing your pictures, keep up the good work. Hans
                    Better a full bottle in front of me
                    than a full frontal lobotomy.
                    Hans

Comment

Thanks Hans. What sort of motorcycle did you get? Are there any pictures of it on the site? I have a 500cc Honda which is dead easy to ride and not too heavy to push around. But I'm only a fair weather rider now. There's also a 350cc BSA from the early 1950s in my shed at the moment. A friend who lives in northern Tassie, somewhere not too far from St Helens, rode it across the Nullarbor about 4 years ago and got nearly to Perth before the clutch packed up. He was here a few weeks ago and swore that he'd be back soon to fix it up and ride it back again.... but I've heard that one before!....

Comment

Good to have you on board from one old guy to another

Comment

Working...
                        X