X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympus OM-D (E-MC5) Review.

While some of you don't even give thought to mirror less systems, the OM-D is just one of many offerings in the market that can satisfy DSLR users that want something that isnt huge and cumbersome. Coming from a Canon full frame system with L lenses to a mirrorless system was a challenge but the OM-D made the transition that much easier. Here are a few pros and cons.

PROS
    1. SMALL and Light - The camera is much smaller than what you would first think. For a small camera it certainly packs a punch.
    2. Looks pretty cool - It reminds me of my old OM-1 and OM-10.. The OM series of cameras are nothing short of brilliant.
    3. Large touch screen. - A 3inch high resolution display gives you the capacity to see exactly what you shot rather than finding out when you get home.
    4. Quick change menus - Fantastic features and access to those features are easy. It was a quick transition.
    5. Fast action - 10FPS on full burst means you can catch action quickly.
    6. Fast focus - The camera uses contrast detect focusing which is quite slow, this was the fastest camera I tested.
    7. Micro 4/3 system - Many companies have adopted this mount (oly, lieca and panasonic are a few) which means lenses are interchangeable.
    8. Nice IQ and ISO - A very high ISO for a small sensor size with limited noise and softness.

CONS
    1. Price - Always a factor, they aren't cheap.
    2. Battery life - Coming from a camera with a grip, I am used to a big battery and this one has no such battery. 400 shots on my tests but once the battery is low, its dead.
    3. Buttons can be too close together - People with big hands beware. Although comfortable, it can be cumbersome when trying to change settings.
    4. Software - Isn't great. Found myself going back to PS to import images.
    5. Low light focusing - Can be tedious with a F4 lens. F1.4 has no issues.
    6. No in-built flash - I know they are bad but its better than nothing right?
    7. ISO200 - is the lowest you can go.. Not a deal breaker but something to consider.

Here are some sample images from a recent wedding.

Inside ISO1600, No flash kit lens 14-40mm f3.5-5.6 @ 40mm f5.6
    Name:  a3522fc6a448c2c27e3c76ebe840b499.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  71.5 KB

Outside ISO200, No flash Summilux 25mm f1.4 @ f2.2
    Name:  423adc42b285e26d6e4b7a63ee105ba3.jpg
Size:  388.1 KB

Outside ISO400, No flash kit lens 14-40mm f3.5-5.6 @ 30mm f5
    Name:  5da49f8fbecd31a3a583045e0aea2bba.jpg
Size:  54.9 KB

Inside ISO400, No flash Summilux 25mm f1.4 @ f1.4
    Name:  336b93a277f6b3fa907672740c00421a.jpg
Size:  314.6 KB

If you own an OM-D and want to add your own sample images, please do
    Simon
    Olympus OM-D, Oly 14-42mm f3.5-5.6, Leica Summilux 25mm f1.4
    Flickr - Your Melbourne Family Portrait Photographer

Great thread Simon. I sold all my Canon DSLR gear for this camera.

An amazing camera indeed. I have not wished for one moment about wanting my old DSLR back.

It's IQ is amazing, size and weight is great.

Also very discreet.

Now I have just one camera the OmD.

I have a 12-50mm weather sealed lens
    Pana 20mm f1.7 and the amazing oly 45mm f1.8
    Also a FL36 speed light.

I will add some pictures tonight
    Last edited by roshoto; 14-02-2013, 09:51 AM.
    I try to capture the wonders that GOD has created......http://www.flickr.com/photos/roshoto/

Comment

Loved my old OM1, (still have it.. just don't use it any more). The wedding Church shot is a beauty. Really tells a story in one.

Wondered how the OM-D would perform. Thanks.
      It's the little things!

Cheers, Greg C.

Comment

Pity the lenses from the OM1 are not compatible.
        It's the little things!

Cheers, Greg C.

Comment

Originally posted by seaslug View Post
          Pity the lenses from the OM1 are not compatible.

Yes they are. Just get an adapter like this one. There are many manufacturers who make similar things.
          Obviously there is no electronic connection between the body and the lens but I suspect that your OM1 lenses are fully manual anyway which makes them even more useful because you can control the aperture.

There you go for $40 you now have a whole collection of lenses that are useful that you thought would never be touched again.

Comment

So that makes it all aperture priority with those lenses then?

Interesting, as I used to do a bit of work with bellows for extreme close up work. Might look into it, thanks.
            Last edited by seaslug; 23-02-2013, 11:38 AM.
            It's the little things!

Cheers, Greg C.

Comment

Purely from an aesthetics point of view; I've loved these OMD's since they came out.
              Minimum ISO of 200 seems odd tho o_0

Comment

Originally posted by Lurch View Post
                Minimum ISO of 200 seems odd tho o_0
                Virtually all Nikon DSLRs are native minimum iso 200 so are the Fujis.

Comment

Originally posted by K1W1 View Post
                  Virtually all Nikon DSLRs are native minimum iso 200 so are the Fujis.
                  Really?
                  There ya go; learn something new everyday. I just checked my K5; minimum ISO seems to be 80

Comment

There is a difference between minimum iso and native iso. The native iso of the K5 is 100. To get to 80 it's just using some sort of internal exposure compensation that same way the Nikons and others can go down to 100. Generally there is no point in going below the native iso in terms of image quality.

Comment

Waiting for more sample pictures and other owners to add to Simon's great review.
                      Lloyd
                      Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
                      Flickr
                      Smugmug

Comment

Salli (daughter) bought one to take overseas later this month. She sold the D90. I'm giving her a fixed focal lens equal to around 30mm for her birthday. She orders/I pay lol. Not sure if she is taking the zoom also.

She might post a few holiday snaps.
                        Cheers for now, IanB.
                        Photos by Ian Browne on Facebook

Comment

Ian, daughter orders / Ian pays. That is a given!
                          Lloyd
                          Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
                          Flickr
                          Smugmug

Comment

Working...
                          X