Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macro tips?

I love taking macro photos but i really suck at it lol
    any tips on how to improve at macro would be very much appreciated?

Have more patience than me, buy a really, really stable tripod, all plants and foliage will rustle in the wind when you take a shot no matter how still the weather conditions are. Did I mention patience?

Comment

Dont take that advice. tripods will ruin your day. Fair enough if you catch the bug then freeze you can use a tripod, but for real world macro work, where you have to move with your subject and you want to catch it doing something cool use a flash. master your flash. its all about flash.
      I love macro shots, and i dont know why i stopped actually. Proabbly because im crazy.
      If you want to get into macro on a big scale you will need
      A good external flash, and a flash extension lead. (so you can position your flash.)
      Good control of your flash. Some people say a softning device (something to make the flash not so harsh) is required but im not sold on this yet,
      Extension tubes (can buy them cheap)
      and also maybe a Raynox DCR-250 ! for extreme macro vision!.
      I shoot handheld, because it allows me to position myself quickly. nothing worse than being on a tripod and have a dragon fly mating next to you and you cant turn around because you have to swivel around a tripod and make tons of noise. Sure you can disconnect your camera (if you have a quick disconnect plate but its still extra work).

Learn to move quietly and steady yourself. Many people on here are great at macro but very few i know of anywhere are better than mark!. check him out here - He even discribes his gear and how he does it ( which im pretty sure is by magic) http://beingmark.com/macro-illustrated/
      He is a gentleman, and a very lovely fellow. ive had quite a few in depth chats with him and he even offered free coaching if i can get to where he is!. His photography is pure art. Someone with his gear regardless of excuses is just stupid. considering his camera + 2x adapter (plus home made flash diffuser) would cost you probably $500 tops. Gets better photos than me and I used a 7d, with a 1000 macro lens, and a $500 flash.
      Study his site, its all you will ever need!. and remember if he really helped you out to make a donation to him, it helps support him!.
      Its not paranoia if everyone is actually watching you
      MY Flickr
      Scotty's Place

Comment

I was talking about marcos of static subjects when I mentioned the tripod.

Comment

Ah sorry kiwi!. definately for static subjects tripods are Great!
          Its not paranoia if everyone is actually watching you
          MY Flickr
          Scotty's Place

Comment

If you have your basic settings of f11, ISO 100 or 200 and have your snoot made..a tripod is good but if you don't use one, you need to be steady...focus, take a breath and take the shot. Practice!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
            Anna
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/ladymilli/
            My stuff - 7D |100mm macro|Tamron 17-50mm|50mm 1.8|Sigma 50mm 1.4| stuff for macro

Comment

Or Anna have a ring flash!
              Terry
              An Olympus E620 user

Comment

thankyou so much for the info, ill take it all on board, i just love doing it for fun
                ill be checking out the website scottymc right now

Comment

One of the finest macro shooters I know of is a fellow called Mark Berkery, his user name on this forum is MarkB1 and he lives here in Brisbane. His work is just out of this world fantastic. He is also quite willing to offer tips, tricks and runs workshops on macro shooting. Wizz him off a PM and he will only be too willing to help you out.
                  Lloyd
                  Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
                  Flickr
                  Smugmug

Comment

The link Scotty put up and the member Lloyd mentioned are the same person. He takes incredible photos with what many would consider very basic equipment. I think macro is probably one of the most frustrating genres I have tried. I'd take 50 shots and maybe have a couple of keepers. Flash is invaluable and for insects a tripod is useless but I did find an old broomstick (read MarkB1's blog) really helped keep me steady. Then it's just practice, practice, practice.

Comment

Working...
                    X