X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distortion using Nikon 24-70

I've been tasked to take a group shot of the family on Xmas day with everyone sitting in our lounge room. There will be about 18 of use and will be a tight fit. I set up my Nikon D3s with Nikon 24-70 for a bit of a practice with a couple of SB 910 for lighting, all good. I got my wife to sit at far left edge of lounge took the shot and her face is distorted.
    I'm at 30 to 35mm focal length to get everything in the frame. I don't have a lot of space and have moved the camera which is on a tripod back as far as I can go. I also understand that you do get distortion at the outer edge shooting wide.
    I'm using between 5.6 and 7.1 for aperture.

Any suggestion's or just fix in PP
    Last edited by cessna; 19-12-2012, 05:31 PM.

Option 1
    Lightroom and lens distortion correction.
    The problem is that it may not work super good with faces.

Option 2
    Shoot at 24mm to put everything more towards the centre of the frame then crop.
    And still use LR lens correction before you crop but it should give a better result with everything centred.

Option 3.
    Two shot panorama (could be hard to get people to still still enough).

If you don't own LR you can download a fully functional 14 day trial for free.
    Last edited by K1W1; 19-12-2012, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Thanks K1W1, I also forgot to mention that they are sitting on a large corner lounge suite, so not everyone is on the same focal plane, not sure if that makes a difference though. Will try wider focal length and crop.

Comment

Also, don't point the camera down - so lower it to their level so it's pointing straight ahead.
        Alan

Still trying to make the ordinary look extraordinary

D7000 | D90 | Coolpix S31 | iPhone 6s | Mac

Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by cessna View Post
          I also forgot to mention that they are sitting on a large corner lounge suite, so not everyone is on the same focal plane, not sure if that makes a difference though
          Shouldn't do - thats what appropriate choice of aperture will be for (and to some extent focal length - the wider you go the more effective DoF you'll get) - i.e. choose an aperture/focal length/focus point combo which gives you the DoF which covers your closest and furthest points you need to be in apparent focus.

Comment

If you are going to go with LR lens correction I would be trying a couple of experiments before the event with people sitting in various places (L, R, centre, Front, back sort of thing) just to gauge whether it will give an acceptable result. What you can get away with in a scenery shot of a beach is entirely different to stuffing Aunt Maudes face in the family photo.

Comment

G'day cessna

From the descriptions so fasr,I like the pano suggestion best

By using a medium lens - 30-35-40mm and the camera in portrait mode you will minimise lots of the edge distortins from 24-28mm range
              I think that if you explain it all to the audience, they'll sit quietly thru the 1/2 dozen exposures needed to sweep across the group
              You could try it with you and your missus + the selftimer

Any half-decent pano software should then be able to stitch it all into one full image
              Regards, Phil

Comment

A big thanks to everyone for advice, got home from work and set camera up again. This time lowered tripod so lens will be at approx at eye level and used a wider focal length. All good everything is symmetrical. doing a Pano would be good but a couple of kids under 5 could be a problem with keeping them still long enough.

Comment

sounds like one of those "job" when a sickie is called for lol

maybe you could break the group down to small/er (family) groups and make a multimage (that is a number of images in the one photo)

Just for ideas
                  Attached Files
                  Cheers for now, IanB.
                  Photos by Ian Browne on Facebook

Comment

Now that is a real-good-result > lotta work, yes - but the result is outstanding

Well done
                    Phil

Comment

Working...
                    X