X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by K1W1 View Post
    1. Manual exposure set for the bright parts.
    2. Plenty of space around the edges to allow for parallax errors and cropping
    3. 30% or thereabouts overlap on each shot.
    4. (The most important part) take a photo with your hand in the frame before and after the pano so you can easily tell where it starts and stops when you get home with 200 photos to edit. This should also be done with HDRs.
    Whilst 4 is a very good idea.
    I always shoot Panos in portrait, so they are the large group of tall photos. Unless you take many panos in a row, you can skip 4.
    D7100, SB700. PS CS5, LR 4.4 - Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by ScottH View Post
      I always shoot Panos in portrait, so they are the large group of tall photos. Unless you take many panos in a row, you can skip 4.
      So what do you do when you take a vertical pano?
      To me this is a habit the film is cheap and I would rather train myself to do it every time on reflex rather than having to thinks should I or shouldn't I?

Comment

So what do you do when you take a vertical pano?
        To me this is a habit the film is cheap and I would rather train myself to do it every time on reflex rather than having to thinks should I or shouldn't I?
        The opposite to horizontal panos.

Yes, I agree it is a good habit, but not always essential.
        I must admit I did re shoot a pano once and struggled to discern the start and ends points. So a pair of hand ends would have helped.
        D7100, SB700. PS CS5, LR 4.4 - Flickr

Comment

I was including that in manual focus but yes I guess i should have been more specific. Maybe I should have just said manual mode with exposure for the bright parts.
          I'm somewhat of a simpleton with Can't Remember A Flamin' Thing disease, and require every step written down so I remember what I should and shouldn't do.

Here is another 3 image pano from Perth

Now I need to get out and practice some more.
          Cheers Richard !

Comment

Originally posted by Lost View Post
            BTW: you don't have to go anywhere special to practice panos. Your house or back/front yard; or the house/s across the road; or a fence or the near by park are all you need to practice taking the photos and work out what works for you. Like most things photography, expensive gadgets are not really needed. (wish I knew that when I started out)

Thanks Ian, I'm slowly finding this out as well
            Cheers Richard !

Comment

This thread should be stickied. Great advice
              Knocked this up after stepping out of the beach this arvo (shirt off, shorts still dripping)

8 shots stitched, using the nifty fifty set at f10.

It's ok, but some of the waves are out of sync. I assume this would be a typical thing with beach panos and somewhat unavoidable?

Name:  deaa1b5b169cc4351cc7ecfbb883e8be.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  197.6 KB

Comment

Nicely captured Lats
                Cheers Richard !

Comment

Had another chance to put the good advice from this thread to the test on the weekend at Sublime Point near Wollongong. As you can see at the bottom I didn't leave enough fat for the crop, and missed some of the shore, but I'm still happy with a 8 shot hand held stitch

Name:  458ffc63a4862b45c981b2ed86e69b90.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  23.5 KB

Comment

I had a good look at this one in LR Lats.

firstly I feel is a rather stunning image with the clouds sort of mirroring shore line

couple of tips:

as you pointed out it's cropped off at the bottom and that really spoils the good image. You could have had less sky and more foreground or maybe used a slightly wider lens

only 8 exposures? I feel 50% or even 100% more images would have been better. With some LR adjustment I can see some/most individual images. More images generally means smaller sections of each file/image is used.

do you use manual or "auto" [like AV]?

And another tip: let members edit your photos, it really is a great learning tool for everyone IMO
                    Cheers for now, IanB.
                    Photos by Ian Browne on Facebook

Comment

Thanks for your feedback, appreciate it heaps

I shot on manual shutter/aperture/focus, but I think it was auto ISO.

Sadly and rather embarrassingly, I didn't keep any of the original RAWs so I can't tell what my focal length was, but I'll try for wider next time.

On the number of exposures, ok I'll try for plenty more next time. On this occasion it was more of a snap snap snap snap ok let's go kind of moment

and yeah, happy to let people go nuts with my photos I'll update my profile.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Comment

Originally posted by lats View Post
                        I shot on manual shutter/aperture/focus, but I think it was auto ISO.
                        I know many use manual for panos although I prefer AV with heavy overlap. Auto ISO may have effected the exposures. I feel ISO should locked

Originally posted by lats View Post
                        Sadly and rather embarrassingly, I didn't keep any of the original RAWs so I can't tell what my focal length was, but I'll try for wider next time.
                        lol i probably taught you that as I delete the originals when I have the pano done.

this has been a great thread.
                        Cheers for now, IanB.

Comment

Oh btw way with 8 shots edited in lightroom>exported as Tiff> processed through ICE> I ended up with a 500mb file!! How big would it be with 30 images??

When I tried to put it back into LR for a final edit, LR nearly spat as my machine ran out of memory!

The final jpeg out of LR was 21 meg

Thoughts? (apart from get more memory)

Comment

I never use tiff; just to bloody big. I export from Lightroom as PSD and make the images smaller than the original file size .. ........ 8 inch short side; 8 bit instead of 16; 240 PPI. For me that is going to make as big as file I'm ever likely to print or need

remember to edit only one image and synchronizes the rest when editing in Lightroom so they are the same. I often send the original files straight to PS without editing; when stitched I flatten the PSD pano; maybe resize/crop and return it LR to be edited. If needed I use transform to straighten the pano before sending back to LR.

Why use ICE? BTW what is ICE? lol

lol the newbies will be scratching their heads by now. It's easier than it reads folks.
                            Cheers for now, IanB.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost View Post
                              Why use ICE? BTW what is ICE?
                              Read post three page one of this thread.

Comment

Read post three page one of this thread.
                                right to o; i don't want any more editing programs. PS works OK for me................ but i might have a little look at it.
                                Cheers for now, IanB.

Comment

Yeah I went with ICE. It's a free download from Microsoft. I stumbled initially as it requires a legitimate copy of Windows and well...ahem

Anyway installed it on my work laptop and yeah, quite easy to use

Comment

Working...
                                  X