Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulling Overexposed Images

Hi

I have a few already processed 35mm images which are overexposed by 1, and in some cases 2, stops. My question is this: Would the blown out highlights which currently have no information/detail, potentially have information/detail if pulled in a reprocess?

Also, is there any damage that can come to the film in reprocessing?

Any thoughts are much appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by bootsydan; 25-04-2013, 11:29 PM.

are you talking colour and B+W film?

how do you mean by "reprocessing"??
    Cheers for now, IanB.
    Photos by Ian Browne on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Lost View Post
      are you talking colour and B+W film?

how do you mean by "reprocessing"??
      Both colour and b&w, though primarily colour.

By reprocessing, I mean processing film that has already been processed - but 'pulled' in attempt to correct the overexposure.

Comment

Blown images are blown. )-: From what I understand you can't get information back as all detail is lost.
        Last edited by Phoenix; 27-04-2013, 12:40 AM.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
        Haven't been there, not done that.
        Jo

Comment

Originally posted by bootsydan View Post

By reprocessing, I mean processing film that has already been processed - but 'pulled' in attempt to correct the overexposure.
          If its film that has already been processed into a negative format, then you would need to use a dark room to adjust the print, but if the negative is already blown there wouldn't be any data there to adjust.

Similarly if an image has been scanned and it shows an area that is "blown" out you cannot put anything back in there because the pixels are empty.

If you are trying to resurrect an image that has been printed from film and then you are scanning the subsequent print, you will suffer similar consequences, if the high lights are blown in the print then that condition is also scanned into the subsequent scan.

In days gone by when there was developing was done by hand, all sorts of things were possible but there still had to be some to work from. It all really depends on how "blown" is "blown"
          Canon, 5D MK3 5D Mk11 300mm f2.8, 28-300 f3.5-5.6, 70-200 f2.8, 100 Macro.

Gordon
          Excreta Tauri Astutos Frustrantor

Comment

Originally posted by bootsydan View Post

once developed there is no going back. Film can only be developed once.

As Gordon said, some adjustments can be made in the printing.

That's why I like digitally; I can fix most of my bad photography mistakes or just call them arty
            Cheers for now, IanB.
            Photos by Ian Browne on Facebook

Comment

Working...
            X