X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• screen test image on LR

Just curious....your thoughts on this please. should I have the clippings at each end?

Untitled-1 copy by Ian Browne, on Flickr
    Cheers for now, IanB.
    Photos by Ian Browne on Facebook

I don't use LR Ian, so not sure what you are asking here?

I can select 'show clipping' in 'Curves' in PS - not sure if it's similar?

Hopefully some LR users will drop in
    Alan

Still trying to make the ordinary look extraordinary

D7000 | D90 | Coolpix S31 | iPhone 6s | Mac

Flickr

Comment

it's all the same imo alan. Just not sure how to remove clippings from both ends; not that it makes much difference to the stuff i do these days
      maybe a contrast adjustment

this would be a better screen print

Untitled-1 copy by Ian Browne, on Flickr
      Cheers for now, IanB.

Comment

On the histogram image select or deselect highlight clipping by clicking the little squares at the top left and right.

Comment

The second looks flat right across on my screen. The first looks pretty true to shade and sharper, but maybe that's just in the resolution or size.
          It's the little things!

Cheers, Greg C.

Comment

Originally posted by TuonoV2 View Post
            On the histogram image select or deselect highlight clipping by clicking the little squares at the top left and right.
            That's what I do in PS - just gives me an idea of what might be blown (whites) or blocked (blacks)
            Alan

Still trying to make the ordinary look extraordinary

D7000 | D90 | Coolpix S31 | iPhone 6s | Mac

Flickr

Comment

An interesting question. In theory if the bar on the right is pure black and the bar on the right is pure white I don't think you should have any clipping warnings showing. The fact that there is clipping suggests there are parts of the image brighter than white, or darker than black. Probably the image is not truly black or white on the ends.

If you are asking how to adjust the image so there is no clipping, move the Blacks slider to the left in Camera Raw, but maybe to the right in Lightroom by the look of your screenshot, just enough for the blue to vanish, then move the Recovery Slider in Camera Raw, but looks as if it has to be the Whites slider in Lightroom until the red just vanishes. Then in theory you will have no blown areas in your image You can sometimes jiggle the exposure or contrast around to get rid of the clipping, but it is a bit hit and miss.

Comment

cheers for answers. I feel I need to adjust the screen in someway (contrast (??)] which I can do via the control panel>>graphic and media control panel so the lappy and monitor screens are adjusted together but I'm not sure if I need to. If the end bars are meant to be pure black and pure white then I guess the clipping warning should be there on the posted screen checker image

Does anyone else get LR/PS clipping warnings with this image. Thanks to Alan for originally posting the image which I have made a bit wider

Untitled by Ian Browne, on Flickr

The Dell monitor is better the ASUS screen when it comes to the very whites and blacks and I would love to have a PC for photo stuff. So much easier to set up IMO.

Cheers for now, IanB.

Comment

I've opened your image in camera raw, and I get the same clipping warnings as you do. I can remove the clipping warnings from the white end, but at the black end I run out of adjustment to do so. Probably because it is a jpg and whilst there is room to manipulate them a bit, nowhere near as much as a raw file. Sometimes the clipping warnings have something to do with the gamut I think. This is a photo from the web and depending how it is saved for the web, the colour range will be a lot more limited than if you created this image from scratch in graphics software. I'm not sure I want to go there because I don't know enough Create this image in photoshop, save as a psd file, then reopen and try it in Lightroom and I'd suspect you won't get the clipping warnings. Hope the screen print of it in my camera raw shows up. I've become nervous about trying to upload images here Name:  contrast_checker.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  26.0 KB

Comment

Working...
                  X