X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• By the Sea...

Just wanted to share some drafts from a recent session down by the sea.

Handheld. ISO800, 23mm, f/3.5, 1/400s.

Handheld. ISO800, 24mm, f/4.5, 1/640s.

Handheld. ISO100, 45mm, f/3.5, 1/800s.

Handheld. ISO200, 90mm, f/2.8, 1/200s.

Cont...

Handheld. ISO100, 62mm, f/3.5, 1/1000s.

Handheld. ISO1000, 17mm, f/2.8, 1/60s.

Handheld. ISO800, 17mm, f/4.5, 1/400s.

8. (Very rough draft)

Handheld. ISO100, 28mm, f/5.0, 1/200s.

All captured in natural light. Full sun, ranging from 3pm to 6pm (i.e. very bright to very dark). No reflectors, nothing else - just the camera, the lens, the sun and post work using Lightroom 3 (Beta 2)...

Very happy to answer any type of questions you might have...

em

Comment

No questions from me, just awe, admiration and the sobbing noise of envy - these are just blimmin fabulous. Love the styling.

Comment

Thank you, cazzaritch... you flatter me.

No questions at all?

Comment

Fanbloodytastic artistic work you have there Em! Love them all!

Comment

Cool shots!
            just one question,

can i have her number?

Comment

Agree with all the above, fantastic shot em
              Flying the Canon Flag... Wait, What?

My Flickr

If you donít take risks you wonít achieve anything. - Sir Richard Branson

Comment

Em, you had me with the first two.
                Andrew

(Grumpy old fart with some Nikon stuff)
                www.aslanimages.com.au https://www.facebook.com/AslanImagesPhotography

Comment

BRILLIANT Em! I am so in love with your work!

I just changed skins to the 'black and grey' and it seems to make these pop some more! (if at all possible!)

Comment

Originally posted by RYZphoto View Post
                    can i have her number?
                    Which woman? There are two of them.

Originally posted by kimali View Post
                    I just changed skins to the 'black and grey' and it seems to make these pop some more! (if at all possible!)
                    Yes, it is possible. I think many photographers forget that the context in which a photo is presented is sometimes just as important as the photo itself. The colour of the 'wall' on which a photo sits is important. A different colour (white, gray, black, multi colours etc) can each affect a different aspect of the photo being viewed.

Something for us all to think about...

Thank you for your kind words everybody. I really do appreciate it.

em

Comment

Re: By the Sea...

As usual em...just brilliant

Comment

Hi Em

No question about your creative ability - fantastic - I look forward to catching up for a chat at the meetup - one question - is the halo deliberate? It is quite noticeable in a couple of them.
                        Cheers
                        Darren
                        website

Comment

Thank you.

fotoflick... halo... not it is not. It is courtesy of the rough draft process I do when 'first pass process' my photos in Lightroom.

I find roughly editing a photo to get a feel for the final product incredibly helpful in my flow. I then let that rough edit 'steep' for a few days and then final edit it. During the steeping process, I might find inspiration to go in another direction processing wise, or (often the case) stick with the direction I have taken and then proceed to final edit it.

I think we rush our processing too much... it is more productive to 'steep' your photos and let the juices really flow.

Here is another draft from the same session:

Handheld (right above the water), ISO200, 17mm, f/4.0, 1/250s.

And yes, a cuppa sometime would be lovely...

Comment

Originally posted by cazzaritch View Post
                            No questions from me, just awe, admiration and the sobbing noise of envy - these are just blimmin fabulous. Love the styling.
                            Hahaha this sums up my reaction as well!!
                            Love these shots! Very cool..
                            How do you get your models emPhoto and more interestingly how do you get them to get in presumably cold water fully dressed?!!
                            Keep them coming!!

Comment

Originally posted by seventhone View Post
                              How do you get your models emPhoto and more interestingly how do you get them to get in presumably cold water fully dressed?!!
                              I get my models any way I can.

I mean that in all seriousness too.... however you can get your subjects, you should. Your friends, people you meet, clients, models on web forums (like Model Mayhem), through team members (like makeup artists)... anyway you can. There are models out there all the time! You just need to have the confidence, the honesty, the respect and the inspiration to approach them and get them interested and inspired to come and work with you to create some cool stuff.

How I get them in the cold water? By inspiring them and empowering them in the sense of they WANT to do all this because they know if they do, the images that result from them taking that extra effort, that 'sacrifice' will be well worth it... I am also in the cold water with them... I show them that I am totally prepared to take that sacrifice too...

Here is a draft where the model and I had literally ran out of ideas (it happens!). It is totally cool to run out of ideas... be honest about it to your subject and just have fun with anything that comes to mind. Here, we just said, 'what the hell, lets just do a cheesy water flick shot'...

Handheld. ISO200, 17mm, f/4.5, 1/640s.
                              Last edited by emPhoto; 26-04-2010, 11:29 PM.

Comment

I like them all Em, but #7 is my favorite, great job.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Absolutely gorgeous Em. I just love your fresh new ideas all the time!
                                    Simon
                                    Olympus OM-D, Oly 14-42mm f3.5-5.6, Leica Summilux 25mm f1.4
                                    Flickr - Your Melbourne Family Portrait Photographer

Comment

Thank you, my friend... it is good to work the ol' brain constantly.

Comment

Wow these are awesome I am so impressed...I just love them.

Comment

Re: By the Sea...

So on the topic of models. Do you pay for them or vice versa or is it a TFP arrangement.

Do you do these for resale, for experience or your portfolio?

I've always wondered with you and ehor and ozmotorsport what the photos were going to be used for

Comment

okies i have ALOT of questions but will start with how do you get rid of harsh shadows without using fill or reflector? i have been using my flash ALOT and on sat i turned it off for a shot i wanted shallow depth in and loved it so i would like to try not use it so much if i dont really have to.

Love these in B&W, i think simple B&W & curves really brings out photos in a way that colour cannot sometimes (just me)
                                            or ....?

Comment

The more I look at the first pic the more entranced I become. Hard to ask questions while speechless.

The composition is quite brilliant. The straight line of clouds, then the strip of clear sky (well it looks like clear sky), then the two waves framing the model...all looks perfect to me.

The model looks, well, wow is all I can think of. She looks aggressive, strong and powerful, unmoved by the wave crashing into her back, ready to take on the world and devour all who stand in her way... yet soft and feminine at the same time. Her eyes are burning a hole in my monitor.

Stunning photo em.

Too many for me to comment on but I couldn't let that first one go by without saying something.

Brilliant and inspiring.
                                              -----------------------------------------------------
                                              Question everything ~ Christopher Hitchins

Comment

Originally posted by Cookster670 View Post
                                                So on the topic of models. Do you pay for them or vice versa or is it a TFP arrangement.

Do you do these for resale, for experience or your portfolio?
                                                This session was a TFP arrangement. I do not shoot for stock imagery etc. Not yet anyway.

For TFP sessions, my primary aim is to practice my craft. And if the images turn out cool, then they will go into my portfolio as well. One or two of the ones I posted here will be in my portfolio eventually. But, the main aim is practice. We ALL should be practicing constantly.

I find TFP incredibly important in practicing my photography, in trying new things, in skilling myself more with dealing with different personalities etc. All this experience translates into having the skill set and experience to carry out my paid assignments to the best of my abilities.

Originally posted by angel View Post
                                                how do you get rid of harsh shadows without using fill or reflector?
                                                Ah, that I talk about in my workshop. Hehe... only joking...

I think the most important thing when you have a subject in very hard sunlight (e.g middle of the day) is to work with the hardness and not fight it...

Also, if you want, you could move the subject into shade which softens the light dramatically. If that is not possible (like on the beach here), and if you have no reflector/flash, or if you are deliberately going for a very 'hard' light then the following should be in the forefront of your mind before you trip the shutter:

1. Hard shadows come from side lighting - the more extreme the side lighting, the more prominent the hard shadows.

2. A viewer will automatically gravitate his/her attention to the face/s in the image. It is critical that the face be relatively void of hard shadowing if at all possible. Psychologically, if the face is 'less hard' then the viewer is more likely to appreciate the image as a whole and 'forgive' the hardness in lighting in the rest of the image.

3. Think what you can do in post to even out the hard shadows. For example, 'Curves' in PhotoShop and 'Fill light' in Lightroom etc.

Putting the above into practice for this shot:

Handheld. ISO100, 62mm, f/3.5, 1/1000s.

One of the first shots of the session at around 3pm. Sunlight was still hard and dramatic. Love it.

However, for the beginner to portraiture, light like this is a nightmare because if used incorrectly it can be horribly unflattering to the subject - dark shadows in the eye sockets, terrible black slash of a shadow under the nose etc etc...

Keeping in mind Points 1 & 2 above, I asked the subject to turn her face towards the sun, angle her head up a touch and then start giving me poses with her body and hands. So, as I snapped away, getting different body/hand expressions, her face remained in roughly the same position - being filled beautifully by the sunlight over her entire face. Lifting her face up a touch meant that the sunlight also filled in her eye sockets.

So, the face is beautifully 'soft' relative to the rest of the image.

In post, I used 'Fill light' in Lightroom to lessen the impact of the hard lighting even more across the image.

Another way to 'even light' a face in hard sun is to ensure the entire face is in shade. Like this:

Handheld. ISO100, 45mm, f/3.5, 1/800s.

The subject's hair (and angle of head etc) is putting her face into nice even shade.

In addition, the shade technique can work incredible wonders when the sun is behind the subject, throwing the entire body into shade and giving the subject 'glow' from the backlighting. Like this:

Handheld. ISO200, 90mm, f/2.8, 1/200s.

My motto is this: Work with what you are given. Don't fight it.

If all you have is your camera, lens and really hard sunlight... then use that to your advantage to create some really cool high contrast imagery - as long as you keep the points above in mind....

em

Comment

great post with lots of helpful info, thanks Em, Midday and hard light is often when i take portraits, so this will be helpful!

Comment

loose cannon, you have made my day. I am a photographer who likes to make more then just a 'pretty picture'... I like to think that my creations do speak to my viewers at some deeper level. I also think I am getting better at creating these photos... constant practice!

Originally posted by loose cannon View Post
                                                    The model looks, well, wow is all I can think of. She looks aggressive, strong and powerful, unmoved by the wave crashing into her back, ready to take on the world and devour all who stand in her way... yet soft and feminine at the same time. Her eyes are burning a hole in my monitor.
                                                    And this is what I mean when I say I want more then just a pretty picture... I do not just tell my models to 'stand there', or 'sit down' or 'stand there and smile' etc... I actually talk to them ALOT. I encourage them to play make believe, to be somewhere else other then where they are - because they usually are in a crappy environment, lots of people staring at them, hot/cold, nervous, still angry over that phone call with their boyfriend etc etc... you get the picture...

Where I want my models to be in their heads is how they will act that out in their facial and body expressions. Mindset is everything - I keep harping on about mindset... but it is so critical to portraiture!

In the capture you like so much, I asked Oriwa to be all the things you actually said. To be strong, a woman, proud, in control of her destiny. I also asked her to feel sensual and 'woman' at the same time. How the model expresses these qualities is entirely drawn from her/his own personal experiences and emotions - it is those personal emotions that come to the fore in captures like this. I love it!

Here is another capture which I really personally like because I love how the surf is almost a part of her, how it envelops her and claims her as its own... she is almost like a creature of the sea...

Name:  29323f4747eac1882a1fcf3f87bc20bc.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  67.6 KB
                                                    Handheld. ISO800, 17mm, f/3.2, 1/320s.

em
                                                    Last edited by emPhoto; 28-04-2010, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by antsan View Post
                                                      great post with lots of helpful info, thanks Em, Midday and hard light is often when i take portraits, so this will be helpful!
                                                      My pleasure, antsan...

Happy shooting!

em

Comment

WOW Em,

Great masterclass in portraiture, thanks so much for sharing your philosophies and knowledge. :thumbs:

Comment

Originally posted by emPhoto View Post
                                                          loose cannon, you have made my day..
                                                          And you, mine. Thank you good sir.

That last shot is breathtaking.
                                                          -----------------------------------------------------
                                                          Question everything ~ Christopher Hitchins

Comment

#4 in the first lot is my absolute favourite - the composition, the crop, the colours, the DoF. All how I like to shoot - close. Thanks em.
                                                            {Kate}

Canon 5D MkII and lenses
                                                            iPhone4 - Hipstamatic App
                                                            Website & Blog
                                                            Challenges Blog
                                                            Flickr Stream

Comment

Working...
                                                            X