Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

"The slaves experience" - Em's Assistant wedding photographer for the day!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you, all.

Originally posted by KhAoTiC View Post
    Groom being thrown in the pool? HELL YES! What fun that looked. Who's idea was that?
    Whos idea? Well, I raised that idea during a pre-wedding dinner/discussion and the groom loved the idea. And because I was not at the groom's place (I was at the bride's), I briefed Will about it in detail and Will delivered perfectly.

Originally posted by Photogenic View Post
    Not sure if this is what you give the bride and groom but if it is they will definitely be able to re-live their wedding day. All the little pieces that are so easily forgotten are there.
    Yup, this slideshow will be in the package to the clients. It will be in several formats, eg. small web size, full HD version, iPhone/iPad ready version etc.

Originally posted by Shaddsi View Post
    I love how you live in Black and white and accentuate with colour. I shoot the opposite and i really should look this way. the tones in the black and white speak much more than a colour image would anyway eM.
    Black and White is pretty cool. But, colour is cool too. I just choose to tell the story mostly in BW (especially in the preperation stages) because I find it easier to do and and that is my preference / style. Discover your style and develop it to the full... that is one of my mottos.

Thanks again, everyone...

em

Comment

I've have just read this thread from beginning to end and..................WOW!!!

Thankyou both so much Em and Renee for sharing!!!

I could feel the passion you have for your work, in your writing and explanations Em. Inspirational stuff!!!

BRILLIANT!!!!!

Comment

Thank you, kimali! Very happy you got something out of it.

Comment

I have just read this thread in its entirety.....thank you Em and Renee for sharing so much valuable information.

Comment

I practically never look at wedding pics or threads 'cos they don't interest me and I've never thought people shots are something I'd ever be good at. There's one exception though. Em's threads - and those from the "slaves" that he's mentored. Not just this thread, but pretty much all of the threads from these photoshoots have provided invaluable advice.

I'm only a beginner and a hobbyist 'tog at most, but some of the lessons I've learnt from these threads have really made me want to shoot people more (shoot photos of people, that is) and understand how to get the most out of it. Buttering them up, being inconspicuous, lateral thinking, forethought and experimenting with angles and lighting on the fly.

Along with all the camera settings, it's still difficult to put all of that together, but it's definitely getting easier to achieve what I want every time I head out. Hopefully before too long I'll be able to produce people pics to a standard that I like - without them essentially being flukes

Great thread guys - thanks

PS: Em, I've had my eye on the Tokina 11-16 2.8 for a while now to compliment my 17-55 2.8 and primes (24mm & 35mm). They look like spectacular lenses Been tossing up this with a telephoto zoom, but these are looking far more practical overall.

Comment

Thank you Redant and AK7.

It was a pleasant surprise to see this thread resurface to the top.

Get out there and shoot people, folks. It is so much fun!

Originally posted by AK7 View Post
              PS: Em, I've had my eye on the Tokina 11-16 ƒ2.8 for a while now to compliment my 17-55 ƒ2.8 and primes (24mm & 35mm). They look like spectacular lenses Been tossing up this with a telephoto zoom, but these are looking far more practical overall.
              Yes, the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 is a solid performing lens. Autofocus is a tad slow on my Canon 7D... but I have learnt to anticipate that when I frame my shots. It's built like a tank which is good too. Optics is very, very good for the price and I have no regrets purchasing it for my wedding arsenal. It will make a great landscape lens too... but ask a landscape photographer as I don't generally shoot landscapes!

It will bottom out your current focal ranges very nicely... but, you really need to ask yourself which end of the focal length spectrum will you get the most use out of... thw extreme wide end or over your current 55mm?

What do you mainly shoot? Or, more to the point - what do you WANT to shoot?

M

Comment

Originally posted by emPhoto View Post
                Yes, the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 is a solid performing lens. Autofocus is a tad slow on my Canon 7D... but I have learnt to anticipate that when I frame my shots. It's built like a tank which is good too. Optics is very, very good for the price and I have no regrets purchasing it for my wedding arsenal. It will make a great landscape lens too... but ask a landscape photographer as I don't generally shoot landscapes!

It will bottom out your current focal ranges very nicely... but, you really need to ask yourself which end of the focal length spectrum will you get the most use out of... thw extreme wide end or over your current 55mm?

What do you mainly shoot? Or, more to the point - what do you WANT to shoot?

M
                I like to play with a wide range of things and want to play with fisheyes, but I really want to get into astrophotography. I also like low light, no flash stuff, so wide aperture is a big factor. Although great primes and fisheyes are probably better for low light and barrel distortion, they're less versatile than zooms in the long run. I only want four lenses in total to cover all my needs. 11-16, 17-55 and 70-200 (all ƒ2.8) as well as a small prime for travelling light. Will also get a TC for the 70-200 for extra range. Most of the time I'm sitting closer to 17mm than 55mm, but that's partly 'cos I'd rather wait until I get a nice telephoto zoom lens before dabbling with the long stuff. My current one (old 70-300mm) is utter crap Besides, the 11-16's are as you say very well priced

Comment

Great read guys. Thanks for posting and glad it had a bump that brought it up again or i would have missed it
                  Adrian

Gear List

Comment

Originally posted by AK7 View Post
                    I like to play with a wide range of things and want to play with fisheyes, but I really want to get into astrophotography. I also like low light, no flash stuff, so wide aperture is a big factor. Although great primes and fisheyes are probably better for low light and barrel distortion, they're less versatile than zooms in the long run. I only want four lenses in total to cover all my needs. 11-16, 17-55 and 70-200 (all 2.8) as well as a small prime for travelling light. Will also get a TC for the 70-200 for extra range. Most of the time I'm sitting closer to 17mm than 55mm, but that's partly 'cos I'd rather wait until I get a nice telephoto zoom lens before dabbling with the long stuff. My current one (old 70-300mm) is utter crap Besides, the 11-16's are as you say very well priced
                    Hey AK7... did you decide to get the 11-16?

Originally posted by Tatts View Post
                    Great read guys. Thanks for posting and glad it had a bump that brought it up again or i would have missed it
                    Always a pleasure, Tatts...

M

Comment

Good to have you back Em. You must be super busy cos we haven't seen you around these parts much in the last couple of weeks. That's a good thing right (being busy that is )?
                      Adrian

Gear List

Comment

Originally posted by emPhoto View Post
                        Hey AK7... did you decide to get the 11-16?
                        Yeah - it arrived last week Have only had one brief moment to take it out. Took this on Sunday morning - was a bit too lazy to grab the tripod and ND filter... A little bit of distortion correction done and slight crop.

Had a play around the house and as you say, it's great indoors! I'm hanging out to use it a bit more, but I feel a bit guilty about putting the 17-55mm back in the bag :mellow:

Thanks for the reassurance

Comment

Working...
                        X