Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to fix your internal spirit......

.......level.

No this is not a religious thread! I'm talking about my internal spirit level, or making sure a shot is straight.

I have a habit of taking crooked shots. Now I know you can fix most with a crop and straighten, but often enough i end up with shots like this,

or

or

where I've ended up chopping off feet, or claws or tail feathers.

I understand this can be a common error for photographers so I'm wondering if anyone has any tips to fix it?

Thanks

Re: How to fix your internal spirit......

I will be interested as my internal spirit level went missing long ago if it was even there.
    Even my wobble/shake has increased. On my p&s hubby says to turn on the anti-parkinsons option ie anti-shake. :eek:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    Anna
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/ladymilli/
    My stuff - 7D |100mm macro|Tamron 17-50mm|50mm 1.8|Sigma 50mm 1.4| stuff for macro

Comment

Photographer a bit lose, that is leave a more space around the subject so there is a cropable area on all sides.

As i often say; think before you click. Look around the edge of the frame and get it straight. Consider how you might be cropping the image later on. Learn to see different formats to the cameras view finder. Always use a tripod as that will slow you down so you have more time to consider the subject (I know that is not always practical)
      Last edited by Lost; 19-11-2012, 11:42 AM.
      Cheers for now, IanB.
      Photos by Ian Browne on Facebook

Comment

Watch your background.

And as Ian said, check around the edges of the frame and make that a habit.

With bird photography I'm a shocker for the tilt effect. It takes discipline to stop looking at the bird and check the background etc, but it must be done and must become routine.
        -----------------------------------------------------
        Question everything ~ Christopher Hitchins

Comment

And that's the hardest part - making it routine. I know I find it hard to shoot a straight photo and often fill the frame, meaning when I straighten and crop I chop something off. Need to get a mantra I can recite before taking photographs to remind me to check the whole frame.

Comment

Until I started lurking on photo forums, I never gave horizons a thought. Unless they are obviously bad, I don't think most people notice.

Once "educated" I started looking a my photos and realized I almost never had a level horizon. Then I'd do the photoshop thing to level them out. At last my inner spirit level has started functioning, and now most of the time I get them level in camera. It took a lot of conscious thought to do it. I still have to remember as my last thought before clicking the shutter ....... "is the horizon level", and correct it if necessary.

If I'm photographing animals, I don't worry too much, but as Ian suggested, leave a generous space around them to crop in photoshop if necessary. Animals need my full attention to catch them in the right pose, without having to worry about level horizons as well.

Comment

What everyone else said.

Anticipate the problem, give you shots more space (easy to crop later), zoom out, wider lens, stand back further ........ and practice your framing.
              Charles

My indecision is final, I think.

Comment

Working...
              X