Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Technique suggestions for shooting a "warp speed" or "tunnel vision" effect?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technique suggestions for shooting a "warp speed" or "tunnel vision" effect?

Hi everyone!

New to the forum and excited to be on here.

I would like to get some opinions and advice on how to shoot the "warp speed" effect on my DSLR.

To be more specific; consider a pan shot from left to right (or vise versa) at a slow shutter speed blurring the background giving the effect the subject is travelling much faster than it is.

Now I've been practicing and trying to mimic this effect through the depth field of vision, i.e. as the subject is travelling directly towards or away the camera lens, blurring the entire perimeter into the focal center point of the subject. The result being a "warp speed" effect as what you would see the starship enterprise do when it turns on it's after burners.

I would appreciate any techniques for shooting this type of photo.

Thanks!!

Welcome You don't know how glad we are to see you

If you have a zoom lens on your camera, you can get a similar effect by zooming the lens in as you take the photo. You will need a reasonably slow shutter speed, which means you will have to compensate with your other camera settings because the slow shutter speed is going to let a lot of light in. It takes practise, but is great fun to try and can work quite well.

With photoshop it is quite easy to create the effect Here is a tutorial to create the effect http://www.photoshopessentials.com/p...s/action-zoom/

Comment

• Gaz
      Gaz commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for that link you supplied mkfotos, I've just been playing...Cheers

Never done this but have read about it.

For a car shot the camera can be placed on the bonnet mounted to a mini-tripod and the car is then pushed, no need for speed here as the blur will kick in with the car doing a very slow speed.

Pretty limited method but it's something to think about.

Inapickle's suggestion is a whole bunch of fun. I've had a few cracks at it with limited success, huge amounts of practice required and hard to offer advice other than just get out there and have a go.

I started on static targets like flowers. Once you get a feel for zooming as you shoot, (and it ain't easy) and you have a few good frames under your belt then have a go at the moving stuff.

And don't be shy about posting your results here including the failures. Much easier to offer constructive advice if we can see what you are doing and as a bonus we all get to learn stuff with you doing all the hard yards for us.

-----------------------------------------------------
    Question everything ~ Christopher Hitchins

Comment

Here's 1 I prepared earlier..."after reading Pickles link."

Back to the Future

Name:  _MG_7975.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  296.8 KB

“You don't take a photograph, you make it.” ― Ansel Adams
      CC always welcomed, feel free to post your ideas with an edit if you have time - Thanks.

Comment

• seaslug
        seaslug commented
        Editing a comment
        That's quite effective!

• Phoenix
        Phoenix commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice job there.

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        That's a really good zoom shot

Pretty good Gaz.

You can definitely create a great effect with the camera mounted on a bicycle. I've done that. I mounted my camera on the bike handle bars and pushed the bike. A slow shutter speed was needed again and I had to fiddle around to balance slow shutter speed verus too much light. I did it on a very overcast day, under the trees and f22 aperture. Now I'd just whack a ND filter on the lens and it would probably be much easier. I've seen some great photos and videos of the zoom effect taken from bicycles. Don't forget to focus on your handle bars to provide a sharp focal point in the middle.

Comment

I'm the expert..I've tried it..oh at least twice!
        1. Definately need a tripod....(or atleast I do,,might need to try a bicycle though).
        2. Due to the need to wind in or out your lens. you need long exposure time and need to set your camera on manual or set the speed.
        3. Due to long exposure time you need to either
        a) use a stopper
        b) shoot in low light.

Because of the long exposure it's really easy to over expose or get lots of blur. This was a darkening blue/red sky after sunset...yet it looks quite pale with a 1.3 second exposure.
        Challenge is to shoot while zooming with shutter open. by JoMacca, on Flickr

What ever it is you want to be highlighted needs to have the maximum time spent upon it. So focus on and either start of finish your zoom on the main subject. Things that are not centres will be blurtered.
        21 (32 of 33) by JoMacca, on Flickr
        Cars coming towards you look pretty cool if you zoom in the same direction they are coming..the road make nice leading lines and the car stays more focused.

21 (11 of 33) by JoMacca, on Flickr

I think it's one of those things that can vary so much you really need to get out and play with it. Try zooming in and out and varying your shutter speeds, checking your results in your viewfinder and adjusting accordingly.
        One last tip...I think it gives a different feel by zooming in or out. Out seems to feel more distant.

Please excuse the dust bunnies...only used these images to help share experiences.

I hope you post up some of your efforts. Good Luck.
        Last edited by Phoenix; 25-05-2014, 01:51 AM.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
        Haven't been there, not done that.
        Jo

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
          I'm the expert..I've tried it..oh at least twice!
          Thanks for your examples. They are great! I've never thought to try it with a car and then zooming in the same direction. That makes sense, because then the car is likely to have better focus. I might give it a go on the road out the front.

The first example I saw of one taken from a bike was incredible. They must have been riding fast, because they covered a bend in the track. The focus was on the bike front, and the motion effect going through the bend was fantastic. That's what tempted me to try with my bike, but I didn't have a go pro to put on my head, only a very heavy 50D, so I had to revise my plans. You don't need a zoom lens when you are in a moving vehicle.

Comment

• Phoenix
            Phoenix commented
            Editing a comment
            I wonder if the bike might have been a motorcycle with a pillion taking hte photograph? That would be very cool if you were going the same speed as the rider!
            Please take care while you are standing in the middle of the road and do share! :-)

All great tips and advice. thanks everyone. I've had some pretty luck with the zoom shots. It's just a matter of practicing and getting the timing and relationship right between zooming and the shutter speed.

Comment

Working...
          X