X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This baby is mine

Well its not my property but I do have unlimited permission to go onto the private land and property. The family still lives here in Tullamore for me this a dream come true what you see here is pretty much what I want with the sun just peaking in the side front of the house or the open gap if you get what I mean.

I have never wanted in all my time since first started shooting to get something so bloody right I don't know fancy technics long exposures or what not but man oh man willing to learn more now then ever. Should I have waited a little bit longer I was fighting with the elements of over the top bright coming over the top of the roof and dark shadows on the other side or the front of the house. I blew out the sky from mid point to the left apart from that for me I am happy with my results.

Should I have waited just a few minutes longer ( I was worried of losing that sunlight from the front of the house ) should I have tried long exposure or maybe even a filter if so what type of filter would you recommend. I will be using my Nikon D5100 and 18-55 lens as I want to go wide as I have done here

27 by Sandy De Jong, on Flickr
    All Experts at anything were once beginners

MWAH Sandy

PP is pretty good Sandy. A little more of the house on LHS would be better though to give it more appeal and a bit more roof detail. Otherwise a beautiful subject and great colours.
    IShootACanon

Web: isacimages.com.au
    "Don't touch". Must be the scariest thing to read in braille!

My Gear
    Proudly supporting Kaarakin Black Cockatoo Conservation Centre

Comment

Thank you Isac so maybe a step or 2 back ?

MWAH Sandy

Comment

Isac pretty much summed it up.

It looks good except it could have been framed to show a little less of the bush on the right and a little more of the house on the left. Can't fault the exposure!
        It's the little things!

Cheers, Greg C.

Comment

But how do I control the exposure better so when half or some of the scene is really bright and the other part is darker I was finding if I was exposing for the sun I was clipping the blacks if I exposed for the dark's shadows I was blowing out the lights if you get what I mean. I only ran a graduated filter tool in lightroom over the sky to try and cover up the blown out sky but by doing so it made the clouds darker I do like the look of the clouds. I ran another graduated filter tool lightroom over the rest of the photo. So Ill just get a better frame next time thank you so much I was worried about the sky as this will be a re-shoot and another re-shoot until I get it right. So that is something I need to watch out for I have not really done much wide angle before Thank you so much SS

MWAH Sandy

Comment

When there is a great variation in exposures, I shot 2 images. One exposed for the darks, and one for the lights. Then I combine the best bits out of the two photos in Photoshop, to create one fairly well exposed image.

Comment

Yes I have heard about that as well mate thanks but I don't have the software and have been told you cant do it LR or PSE it is starting to come apparent if you don't have PS CS you can't do much at all really I use LR for most of my Processing and then I use Topaz FXlab, Pickles I want this so bad even if it means shooting it a million times I don't care I also have gained permission to shoot another one as well. Yes my lips are sealed until that happens :P My PP skills suck so getting it right or close to right in camera with limited PP skills is a must

MWAH Sandy

Comment

Sandy, nice to see you back! We've missed you.

This is one of your best. A shot full of character very well captured, and the exposure is good. Maybe you could have turned the camera a bit to the left so the left edge of the building is not cut off, but it doesn't really worry me. I quite like the composition as you have done it!!!

To answer some of your questions. The answer to all of them is yes. Shooting digital, you can try longer exposures, different exposures. Wait a few minutes and take a few more and more. It does not take long. Experiment and try different things.

As for filters, others here will tell you more. I don't have any and never use them. Doesn't mean they are not a good idea in some circumstances to get special effects.

Those half bright half dark scenes are difficult to expose. inapickle's idea of two exposures is good when the difference is very great - one shot for the highlights and one for the shadows. Shooting RAW is good for a bit more wriggle room in PP.

PP is a very personal thing. I couldn't resist having a play. Hope you don't mind.

Charles

My indecision is final, I think.

Comment

Hello Charles thanks for the welcome back I missed been here and missed taking photos as well. No mate of course I don't mind tinker away that is how I learn by vision I also messed up where the tree was at the back but was not sure about it if it was a distraction or not. Now I have the thoughts of others again I only mess things up when trying stuff like that leave it alone Sandy my PP is very basic but do try new things sometimes they work sometimes they don't. I have made this house a personal project it will be awhile before I get back out there we have just had a ton of rain and it would all be soaked but doubt I would get there as dirt roads turn to mud EEK!. and my D5100 has a dirty sensor gosh that is what you get for hanging out in the bush even though I was careful with the lens change by holding camera upside down and in the car dust still gets in. Its a part of life for us Ha. So it seems I already new the stuff I just wish I had have had more time and not so tired after a days shooting I had already been on.

I also have permission to access another place as well site for me site unseen but told about it and permission granted and for both Ill also be able to add the history to them as well.

Can you guess how excited I am about making this work. Thank you so very much Charles. Ops I do like your take on it as well. I must say very well done thanks so much

MWAH Sandy

Comment

Lovely old building and lucky you for having access to it. Unfortunately our cameras can't handle such high dynamic range in one shot. If you have PSE with masks you can combine 2 exposures like inapickle suggested. Google 'manual blending' - there'll be heaps of youtube tutorials on how to do it. Alternatively using LR you can just expose for the highlights when you take the photograph and bring the shadow slider up. It will probably add some noise but you can use the noise slider to get rid of some of that also. I used to be fixated on getting rid of noise totally but now I only zoom to 50% to check noise instead of 100%. I've found I can live with any noise which appears at a higher zoom. You could probably blend using Topaz software also, guess it depends on how many of their plug ins you have. They have lots of tutorials, just have to search for the right one. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with from future visits to this site.

Comment

Thanks PP Luck I think something was playing its part this time. I had been along that road I had taken a few roadside snaps using my 55-300 and off I went again later that day I was shooting just off the main road when a lady drive up stopped and put her window down I thought uh oh I have by mistake crossed private property some how. But no she was just interested in my photography we got talking a bit more when she brought up abandonment I told her about the house I had not long seen and showed her the snaps. She said oh I am pretty sure the property owners still live in Tullamore Poppy and Neville. A few days later I was in the club and saw Jay he is very keen on what I am doing and come and spoke to me about another photo I took of bullock creek. I asked him about the house and was told it was thought that these people owns its Without any hesitation he took out his phone and rang them right there and then for me gained unlimited access to the property this is a top little town we all help each other out.

After speaking to Pickles I went out and took a few snaps of anything doing what she suggested over exposing and under exposing I did watch a video using what they have called photomerge exposure using manual but it was not placing things right for me what a mess it was making Ill do more looking around to see what I can find. I have just about all of Topaz so Ill look there as well. thanks PP

MWAH Sandy

Comment

Working...
                      X