ID:	30232
    To this ...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Isac-Images-RAINBOW-After.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	30233

There are 2 Rainbow Gradients to choose from:

1: "Russell's Rainbow" which comes with Photoshop. It does seem to be missing the Violet colour, but may be OK for your needs.
    To use "Russell's Rainbow", click the Gradient Tool, click the small down arrow to the right in the Gradient Tab and select "Special Effects".
    This will load the gradient into the gradient selections panel.

2: "Isac Images RAINBOW". which is available from my website www.isacimages.com.au, including instructions.
    After downloading and unzipping the file, double click on "Isac Images Rainbow.grd" to automatically load it into Photoshop.

Now to make your rainbow

1 Open your photo and create a NEW LAYER.
    2 Click the GRADIENT TOOL and select the RADIAL GRADIENT next to the gradient tab.
    3 Click on the small arrow on the GRADIENT TAB and select the "Isac Images Rainbow" gradient. Also check TRANSPARENCY.
    4 Place cursor near a BOTTOM CORNER and holding SHIFT, drag horizontally, to where you want the rainbow to end and release the mouse button.
    5 Change BLEND mode to SCREEN.
    6 Use GAUSSIAN BLUR to suit. (try 50 pixels) and set OPACITY to suit. (try 40%)
    7 Add a LAYER MASK to the rainbow layer. (this will be used to fade the rainbow as it gets closer to the horizon).
    8 Select the gradient tool and click the LINEAR GRADIENT (Black to White), which is the 3rd from the left on the top row.
    9 Place the cursor just below where the rainbow should end. Holding SHIFT, drag upwards as below and then release the mouse.

Name:	Isac-Images-RAINBOW-Drag.jpg
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	30234

I hope you enjoy the tutorial!

IShootACanon

Web: isacimages.com.au
    "Don't touch". Must be the scariest thing to read in braille!

My Gear
    Proudly supporting Kaarakin Black Cockatoo Conservation Centre

You don't get rainbows without moisture though. That looks a bit unnatural to me.
    It's the little things!

Cheers, Greg C.

Comment

Sorry about that Greg, I do agree with you, but I was just showing how to add the rainbow. The image was one of several I took on that day and it was pretty stormy but in patches. Here's one with that same tree on the right of the image and shows a bit more moisture It was just after we left a country race meeting on a stormy day. Also included one from that day with real rainbow.

Name:	Rainbow-2.jpg
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	30237

Name:	IMG_9742-1024.jpg
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	30236

IShootACanon

Web: isacimages.com.au
      "Don't touch". Must be the scariest thing to read in braille!

My Gear
      Proudly supporting Kaarakin Black Cockatoo Conservation Centre

Comment

Much better Isac, I love the natural one.

Rainbows in my opinion are one of those magical gifts of nature. While I envy your processing talents.. I think there are some things we just shouldn't try and emulate. Just because you can, doesn't mean we should.

Cheers and well done by the way.
        It's the little things!

Cheers, Greg C.

Comment

• Isac
          Isac commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Greg. I'll give this a miss then and get on to something different to pass the time.

Thanks for that Greg - I tried the PS one but will need to play a bit more to get something realistic
        Alan

Still trying to make the ordinary look extraordinary

D7000 | D90 | Coolpix S31 | iPhone 6s | Mac

Flickr

Comment

If Nature doesn't cooperate - I have been known to do a bit of PS manipulation

but I'm inclined to agree with Seaslug (on this occasion ) and leave rainbow appearances in the lap of the Gods

Name:  Cloud pano with rainbow PH.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  156.0 KB
          Alan

Flickr

Comment

• Isac
            Isac commented
            Editing a comment
            No good though, after the first guess everyone would know the answer. Maybe have the winner do 1 edit only and we all guess what it could be. After a correct guess, the editor would have to post the original (just to compare). That way it runs until a correct guess and you wouldn't need to have Photoshop to do he edit, you could use any software. I think a month for the current comp now at #43 is a bit too long and for me it should be about 2 weeks to keep it flowing. What do you think? What do other members think? If all are on board, I could start it off and see what happens.

• Alan
            Alan commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds good. Your 'Selective Colour' Challenge was very popular, which seems to suggest that members are prepared to have a bit of creative fun with images.

I also think one month for the Challenge is too long - a quick game is a good game.

• Isac
            Isac commented
            Editing a comment
            Well maybe something along the lines of "Get Creative". Rules would be simple.
            1. Must post original OOC image
            2. Brief description of the editing method
            3. Why you chose the image.
            4. Post the edited version for judging.
            As in the current fun challenge, the winner would get the honour of judging the next challenge. Duration would be 2 weeks.
            Wadda-u-reckon?

Thanks Greg, not a lot of people responding, but that may be because of where this discussion is taking place. Maybe move it to Competitions?

It may be just you and me playing

Alan

Flickr

Comment

• Isac
            Isac commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Alan. I'll just start a new thread in Competitions and see what the response is. I'll also suggest cutting the duration for the current comp to 2 weeks or abouts. Cheers.

I'm having to use Chrome now as Firefox is not showing any new content on Photoholics?
          Alan

Flickr

Comment

• Alan
            Alan commented
            Editing a comment
            That seems to have done the trick - thanks

• Isac
            Isac commented
            Editing a comment
            You're more than welcome kind sir.
            With the blessing from the Administration Department and in conjunction with discussions with your good self, it has been decided to reduce the duration of competitions currently active to 2 weeks. A new comp will soon be running called "Get Creative" which will be all about editing. Stay tuned and REFRESH regularly.

• Alan
            Alan commented
            Editing a comment
            In addition to "The Challenge"?

Still having problems with New Posts etc - your work around seems to work so long a you keep refreshing - what happened?

Wonder how many others are effected and just think the Forum has gone even quieter than usual?
        Working...
        X