X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you work on two masks?

As I slowly learn more about using photoshop I had a thought of doing the following. A portrait which would benefit from both sharpening and blurring having two masks where you can go from one to the other as you paint/delete on one or the other mask. Possible?
    Better a full bottle in front of me
    than a full frontal lobotomy.
    Hans

You can do almost anything you want using masks Hans, they are a regular part of my workflow. Best way to see is experiment. On the bottom of a mask pallet, there is a very small arrow on a square that when clicked will effect only the layer below it, great for isolating different effects - and you can drag the masks to another position.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Layer-Below.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	30334

Rather than using a blur and/or a sharpen mask to sharpen a portrait, I prefer to use edge masking. It's very subtle and has good results. On my website there is a set of actions for sharpening (free to download) and if you set the playback mode to "Step by Step" you will see how it works. Another in the set is the "Fine Detail" action. If you delete the "Flatten Image" at the end of that action it will leave all the layers for you to play with. Hope this helps. If you need any help, just email me.
    IShootACanon

Web: isacimages.com.au
    "Don't touch". Must be the scariest thing to read in braille!

My Gear
    Proudly supporting Kaarakin Black Cockatoo Conservation Centre

Comment

Hi Isac
      Thanks for that. I have completed the first action. It did take a bit to get it going including having to copy the atn file into the presets- actions folder. I imagine I did the right thing loading a picture file? Did the select the channel as directed and red was chosen twice. It did quite a nice job.
      The layers concept seems clear enough when you read the description but is then complicated by lots of gotchas and complications of order and a lack of user friendlyness.

Hans

Comment

I'm glad you got the actions loaded and that you have played with them. What Photoshop version do you have and which action was the one with the gotchas?
        IShootACanon

My Gear

Comment

I shall send you the results of using the actions. The gotchas referred to the use of layers in general when not familiar with the use of them. I use cs2 as the books are as cheap as I am The fine action came with a rastering of a smart image request? It did not seem to work properly.
          Hans

Comment

OK, here's a simple way to smooth the skin on a portrait. This should be OK with CS2. This is a photo I downloaded to show how it works.

1: Original photo. Notice a few blemishes on her skin and it's fairly sharp which shows all the imperfections.

Name:	Girl-1.jpg
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	30335

2: I copied the background to a new layer with CTRL+J and renamed it to Spot Healed. Renaming helps to identify what the layers are for.
            On this layer I used the spot healing tool to get rid of the obvious blemishes and then sharpened it slightly with FILTER > SHARPEN > UNSHARP MASK.
            Settings were low just to give it a tweak. AMOUNT = 20 / RADIUS = 3 / THRESHOLD = 1

Name:	Girl-2.jpg
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	30336

3: I then copied the Spot Healed layer (CTRL+J). I blurred this layer with FILTER > BLUR > GAUSSIAN BLUR (Radius 2 pixels). I then created a mask for that layer. (Red Arrow).
            Make sure the mask is filled with WHITE. Using the brush tool at HARDNESS = 0. Now paint with BLACK on the mask at various sizes and opacities to go over the parts you
            DON'T want blurred. You can adjust the opacity of the mask to get your desired result. You can repaint with WHITE on the mask to go over any mistakes or make changes.
            Your final image should look similar to the one below.

Name:	Girl-3.jpg
Size:	360.4 KB
ID:	30338

Last edited by Isac; 24-02-2017, 04:45 PM.
            IShootACanon

My Gear

Comment

Thanks Isac. That is what I had in mind to do. It is a question of knowing what to do and when. Using photoshop is a bit like giving someone a machine shop when he hasn't mastered the use of hand tools.
              Hans

Comment

• Isac
                Isac commented
                Editing a comment
                You will get better with PS every time you use it Hans. Plenty of tutorials on Mr. Google and always plenty of help here on AP. You just have to ask. I know there's a few members here that are real gurus and they're always here to help out. It's what our family does. Cheers. I'm sure you'll be a FULL BOTTLE in no time.

First one, taken of a young aspiring photographer last night.
              Name:  1702_mg_0884.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  333.9 KB
              Low level light not handled that well by the Canon 60D But I am reasonably happy with the result.
              Hans

Comment

Well done Hans. I love the softness you managed to get in this to still retain the important details.
                I've done a couple of adjustments you may wish to dabble with.

Firstly, I used the Mixer Brush tool to smooth over the sharp shadows under her nose, on her chin and under her eyes.
                Also used it on her cheek to smooth it up a bit. It's a brilliant tool for doing this but I think it was only introduced in CS5.

Secondly I darkened her left cheek ever so slightly to give her nose a bit of emphasis. As it was, the nose and cheek were almost the same colour, which seemed to blend them together. I did the same thing with her jaw line to make it more visible.

I used another fantastic tool to sharpen her right eyebrow and ear, which appear to be on the same focal length as her right eye. It's found in the Blur, Sharpen and Smudge tool set. It should be available in CS2.

I gave the saturation a bit of a boost for the reds, brightened the eyes slightly and finally, I removed the camera. This was just a personal thing and not essential.

I hope you don't mind edit.

Name:	hanse-portrait-1-E.jpg
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	30353
                IShootACanon

My Gear

Comment

Happy to learn. One thing I notice is that it also seems to have reduced the slight blue cast from the fluro lights. The red boost would have done this i presume.
                  PS her mother was very pleased with the picture on fb. Will do this again and maybe get a print so that she may be well disposed to let me do some more. She thought I was pretty sneaky getting the picture without her knowing.
                  Hans

Comment

• Isac
                    Isac commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Hans. It doesn't matter what level you're at with photography and editing, we are always learning - which is a good thing! I hope you get the nod to do some more.

Name:  1702lexym.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  282.5 KB
                  It seemed to loose a bit of colour when I reduced the size. Overdid the correction I think. I feel as if I know her a lot better after applying her lipstick. Sort of personal isn't it?
                  Attached Files
                  Hans

Comment

• Isac
                    Isac commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It's great that you are having a go and learning new stuff. You're right about the quality dropping. It's best to work on the larger image and then Save for Web at the desired size.
                Working...
                X