Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to turn a garage into a studio and back to a garage?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to turn a garage into a studio and back to a garage?

Hi All,

This is my second time trying to post this

I have my garage which hosts my car by day, but I would love to turn this space into my studio when I have a shoot booked as well.
    I would love suggestions from all creative and industrious Photoholics on how to accomplish this.

I have thought about trying to hang a backdrop where the roller door is, but am unsure about the best way to accomplish this.
    My other dilemma is the brown brick walls and the colour cast they give when shooting in this little space.... I have thought about putting up some kind of flag for the wall, but it really needs to be temporary so I can drive my car in when im not shoot.

Lastly is the low ceiling, so I get lots of bounce off the roof.

Would love to hear all your thoughts and criticisms

Name:  0a229a8724e07b5d8cef3f3762fa3403.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  76.1 KB

ps If anyone in Perth wants to come over and offer suggestions / help be construct something, im sure some beer could be involved or I could organise a shoot to christen the new room

Comment

lotsa white fabric, a hanging roll of paper for seamless backdrop and tiny models
      gerry's photo journey
      No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.

Comment

Is it a rental or do you own it? Can you paint the walls or floor?
        Can we have a pic of the back wall?

There's also a big issue with width as far as setting up lighting at angles goes.
        Andrew

(Grumpy old fart with some Nikon stuff)
        www.aslanimages.com.au https://www.facebook.com/AslanImagesPhotography

Comment

Its a rental

Width is just a sporrock over 3m
          Will post a pic form the other direction tmw, however you can see the door handle in the bottom right of the frame.
          Length must be approx 6-9 meters, again will measure tmw.

Comment

G'day JLP

Being a rental will "possibly" make it a bit difficult - tho I note you/somebody has put an eye-loop thing into the LHS wall
            If it were mine [rental] I would do several things without making too much of it all

1- in the brick/mortar line almost at the roof, I would insert 1/2-dozen dynabolts, 2 along each of 3 walls, into which I would insert cable [clothes-line wire] held in place & tightened via turnbuckles. Having "6 holes in the wall" should not cause anyone / the agent any concerns and being so high, they might never be noticed anyway

2- onto the wires [above] I would suggest you hang bedsheets. From experience, two layers of bedsheet are needed as the lights go thru the fabric weave, and thus some brickwork / mortar-lines shadows will show. I suggest you get 2 sheets [mid-tone & dark] and sew them together to make a joining hem, and hang them along the cable where the cable passes thru the hem of the sheet - ie you now have 3 walls covered & by feeding the cable thru the hem avoids having shower-curtain-loops hanging down etc etc. The sheets are also easily removable

3- if you choose a mid tone & black bed sheets, you have a choice of tones facing in towards your model

To me this will allow you to disguise the brick walls enough to make a start - the low ceiling is something you can't get away from, so maybe it means that your camera subjects will be seated or laying on a casting-couch etc etc

Hope this helps a bit
            Regards, Phil

Comment

The white ceiling is really not such a huge disadvantage. I had to shoot in a similar setup recently and bounced a strobe of the ceiling which acted like a giant diffuser.
              Andrew

(Grumpy old fart with some Nikon stuff)
              www.aslanimages.com.au https://www.facebook.com/AslanImagesPhotography

Comment

first ask the owner if you put a few (lots of really) removable hooks in the walls. If that is ok you can hang white or black material around the walls. get a backdrop stand and material also for a back drop. Get some 'posing" stuff and the studio is open for business but maybe not for a rugby team team. Look at the space shopping centre photographers work in. Offer the owner/agent a portrait session of some sort as a bribe.

White walls will give good wrap around lighting. black walls will give more directional lighting. a white wall/material behind the camera will act as reflector BTW

Honestly; you don't need a lot to make a usable studio.

Hooks in the wall: one each end on each side is all you need; just put a cord/rope between them and peg the material to it. Consider bed sheets BTW

edit: background could be pegged to cord/rope also
                Cheers for now, IanB.
                Photos by Ian Browne on Facebook

Comment

Name:  50223042fa7bfdbcaf695f029a48a86e.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  78.1 KB

A lot of guys use Autopoles in rentals to support the backdrop and side drapes to avoid holes in the wall. They use 4-6 of them to hang a background and side drapes. The black background in the image above is supported by stipples and some super clamps. Biggest advantage no holes and portable. Downside. They aren't cheap.

I would use black drapes as controlling light spillage in a small space is important.
                  For high key you can use white drapes or sheets as Ian suggested.

Most leases have strict conditions re holes in the wall, number of picture hooks etc. I know all my leases do!

Cheers,

Shane.
                  My website
                  Facebook

Comment

Wow so many great suggestions !

I like the concept of the autopoles. Don't like the idea of the price though

Might try to find a few cheap sets of backdrop stands on flea-bay / gum-tree to line the walls and use as a backdrop, of course, that then eats into my Horizontal 'model posing' real-estate.

Has anyone had experience with the 3M / commander 'hooks' on brick and mortar? If I mount a-lot of them, will they support the weight of a couple of bedsheets sewn together? Will they leave a residue on the walls once I remove them?

Comment

G'day JLP

Any removable adhesive item will fail due to the dusty nature of the surface

re- the autopoles ... just remembered that some hardware shops sell extendable shower rails with a tripod-style twist & lock action
                      It might be possible to get one that covers the width of the garage

Otherwise it's DIY with 18-25mm dowel rod sticking up from housebricks ...

Regards, Phil

Comment

Thanks Ozzie

So many decisions to make, this week I wil trawl the hardware shops and see what's affordable.

Comment

G'day JLP

The reasoning behind my original thoughts for dynabolts was several ...
                          - when you no longer need them & move out, the outer bolt can be unscrewed from the tube bit & the tube bit can be hidden in the mortar via a squirt of spakfiller
                          - the last thing you want with any cable-type system is for the bolts to pull out of the wall due to the weight being too much for a 'simple' hook - and dynabolts come in many sizes and lengths & are easy to fit
                          - and a cable system which you can tighten via a turnbuckle will go a long way to keeping the cable as horizontal as possible

so by having 3 cables along 3 walls and way up at roof height, I thought would make it all pretty 'invisible' once you have departed to your own place

Regards, Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
                            G'day JLP

The reasoning behind my original thoughts for dynabolts was several ...
                            - when you no longer need them & move out, the outer bolt can be unscrewed from the tube bit & the tube bit can be hidden in the mortar via a squirt of spakfiller
                            - the last thing you want with any cable-type system is for the bolts to pull out of the wall due to the weight being too much for a 'simple' hook - and dynabolts come in many sizes and lengths & are easy to fit
                            - and a cable system which you can tighten via a turnbuckle will go a long way to keeping the cable as horizontal as possible

so by having 3 cables along 3 walls and way up at roof height, I thought would make it all pretty 'invisible' once you have departed to your own place

Regards, Phil

Great advice Phil, Knowing how rental agents do rent inspections I am certain they would not notice the holes.
                            Im still rather uncommitted (and seriously low on cash flow (saving for 85L)) on which way to go.

Comment

Working...
                            X