Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
What is usually the acceptable rate for Assistants and 2nd shooters? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is usually the acceptable rate for Assistants and 2nd shooters?

My partner usually assists me with carrying my bags, and occasionally taking a couple shots if i need him to, and driving around. But he is now starting to winge, and its driving me crazy, cos i am already stressing about the wedding day and don't need any more.

So just wondering the sort of rates would you pay an assistant for a wedding day to carry and watch bags, occasionally take some pics if i need them (perhaps couple detail shots, and guest shots during ceremony) setting up lighting etc. not sure if it would be acceptable to get them to drive me around as well (i don't have a licence) lol.. but really not a whole lot.

and where would i go to look for one? i don't charge allot for weddings barely cover my own costs after hiring gear, petrol, product costs etc etc (just starting into weddings) so i probably wouldn't be able to offer someone too much. Free would be awesome, but not sure if i could ask that of someone.

If they took pics, how would i go with that? can i just edit them how i edit, or would i have to get them to edit?

Thanks
    or ....?

No idea about weddings angel, but when I do corporate work (mainly presentations and seminars) I often need an assistant to help organise people for group shots (corral the victims), document the names of participants, and generally act as a PR person.

I usually get Maddie to do it (when she's in Oz) - funny how senior corporate exec types are incredibly co-operative with her giving orders

I charge $100/hour for me and $25/hr for her (which will have to go up now she's 21 .
    Andrew

(Grumpy old fart with some Nikon stuff)
    www.aslanimages.com.au https://www.facebook.com/AslanImagesPhotography

Comment

Standard rate would be in the range of $35 - $50 an hour depending on experience and skills
      Darren
      I shoot Nikon.

Comment

Standard rate would be in the range of $35 - $50 an hour depending on experience and skills

Usually they will just give you all their uneditted RAW files.
        Darren
        I shoot Nikon.

Comment

LO L: don't let hubby see this thread Angel as he may request back pay.
          Cheers for now, IanB.
          I'm always right most of the ti...umm.....some of the time. ......Yeah OK occasionally right
          Flickr

Comment

dazza is that for a 2nd shooter or assistant?
            or ....?

Comment

2nd shooter, assistant $30-35
              Darren
              I shoot Nikon.

Comment

$30-$35/hr for an assistant sounds like pretty good pay to me for somebody who is just carrying things and doing what they are told.

Comment

What do you get as an adult flipping burgers at maccas ?
                  Darren
                  I shoot Nikon.

Comment

These rates are what a bunch of pro wedding togs on another site quoted, maybe less if you're part time yourself

I guess if you're charging $3-$4k a wedding there's more to play with than if youre charging $500-$1000
                    Darren
                    I shoot Nikon.

Comment

Originally posted by dazza View Post
                      What do you get as an adult flipping burgers at maccas ?
                      The sack the day you turn 18 usually I believe.

I just checked the Fair Work web site. The base award rate in Victoria for a part time adult general labourer in the building industry (as close as I could find to a "unskilled" job) is currently $15.51 per hour. $30 or thereabouts per hour for an assistant who is simply an assistant still sounds like a lot to me especially as this will often be paid in cash.

Comment

$15.51 would be minimum adult full time rates which include benefits like, Sickies, holiday pay etc.
                        Casual rates are higher per hour as they include no benefits.
                        Considering wedding gigs are casual hire and usually weekends. 30 to 35 seems fair.

Everyone is different in what they earn & therefore what they regard as fair for casual weekend work.
                        Gallery // Gear

I'm going to live forever - so far, so good.

Comment

lol.. well definitely not charging anywhere near $3-4k for a wedding, i wish! but nowhere near as good yet. when i was working casual at horse stud i was nowhere near getting $30 an hour, i think i was only getting $16 p/hr and that was only every 2nd weekend off, loooong hours no holidays or sick days etc
                          or ....?

Comment

You are looking at the question the wrong way about: it is not about what is the going rate you pay a second shooter or an assistant if you value your business and protective of the growth of it then it is about finding the person to fit the bill.

If you find the right person, it is very likely that they will (initially) work for no pay: that is of course if you can offer training and education and opportunity.

On the other hand you could advertise for an assistant or second shooter with a mindset about rates of pay - and you will likely get very close to exactly what you pay for.

WW

Comment

Originally posted by William W View Post
                              You are looking at the question the wrong way about: it is not about what is the going rate you pay a second shooter or an assistant if you value your business and protective of the growth of it then it is about finding the person to fit the bill.

If you find the right person, it is very likely that they will (initially) work for no pay: that is of course if you can offer training and education and opportunity.

On the other hand you could advertise for an assistant or second shooter with a mindset about rates of pay - and you will likely get very close to exactly what you pay for.

WW
                              you are always (well mostly anyway ) so spot on IMO.

Good to see you again WW
                              Cheers for now, IanB.
                              I'm always right most of the ti...umm.....some of the time. ......Yeah OK occasionally right
                              Flickr

Comment

You'll find an "industry directory" on Sunstudios Australia website - it has a listing of assistants and their contact details.

Most of the time I've been an assistant on commercial gigs the rate has been $300/day for 1st and $180/day for second ass. I mean, assistant.

Though I'd like to second WW. About a year ago I was toying with an idea of shooting weddings. I knew that I had no idea about what's expected of a wedding photographer, and I would've been happy just to tag along as an assistant at no charge just to watch and learn.

Most assistants are assisting because they want to get a foot in the door of a particular niche. If you make some calls and have a compelling enough offer and have some genuine value / training to provide to someone, I don't think you'll need to pay anything.

Steven
                                Currently working on: I Love My Family Photography.

Comment

Working...
                                X