No announcement yet.

All bird Photos.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Azure Kingfisher with Better Beamer

I bought a Better Beamer in the hope of getting better images when the lighting is low, which seems like most of the time at my place.

I had a play with it on the tripod on the verandah yesterday, but nothing came close enough for any hopeful shots.

Today I took it for a walk along my creek, the set-up is Nikon D7100, Tamron 150-600, Yongnou YN568EX flash and Better Beamer.
    I used it handheld today, no doubt on a tripod would have been better, but more difficult due to the terrain.
    Camera settings were for the first shots , 600mm, f6.7, 125th, iso800. Flash at 50mm full power.

The beamer is aiming too high, I will have to work out how to override the detents on the flash head, if I tilt it down to the next detent it is aimed too low.
    The eyes look a bit artificial, not sure if there is any way around this. ( PP I guess )

#1- uncropped
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0887 (1).jpg
Views:	24
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	432017

#2- cropped

Name:	DSC_0887.jpg
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	432018

#3- cropped

Name:	DSC_0889.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	432019

#4- cropped, 600mm, f6.7, 125th, iso640

Name:	DSC_0898.jpg
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	432020

#5- uncropped @300mm, you can see here that the Beamer is aiming a bit high.

Name:	DSC_0904.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	432021

Cheers, Brad.

Nice effort Brad. Stunning birds these ones.
    I tried to catch one it Kakadu recently but found it very difficult from a boat in low light.
    Sony A7rii
    https://www.redbubble.com/people/Tod...ortfolio?asc=u

Comment

Originally posted by Toddyh View Post
      Nice effort Brad. Stunning birds these ones.
      I tried to catch one it Kakadu recently but found it very difficult from a boat in low light.
      Yes they are very stunning Todd, pity they always seem to be in the very shaded sections of the creek.
      I am hoping to get better shots than these when I get better with this Better Beamer, still very much in the testing phase.
      I might have to clear a few spots along the creek so I can set the tripod up more easily as well.

Did you happen to catch up with Scott Murray while you were up Kakadu way ?
      Cheers, Brad.

Comment

There were a couple of Topknot Pigeons in the Palmtrees near my house, so I set the Beamer rig up again and went outside. The Topknots were gone so I walked down to the creek and found an Azure Kingfisher. It was in a better spot than yesterday, I wish I took the tripod today.
        I have the beamer aligned up a bit better today but its still aiming a bit low. I have wedged a piece of cardboard in the flash head to hold it between the detents ( need to find a better more reliable way )
        I think these shots are a bit better than yesterdays efforts, but still could be improved upon.

My lens might be slightly front-focusing I think.

Handheld, @600mm, f8, 1/350th, iso500, cropped approx 50%

Name:	DSC_0926.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	432060

Handheld @600mm, f6.7, 1/180th, iso200, cropped approx 50%

Name:	DSC_0936.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	432061
        Last edited by Ironwood; 29-09-2016, 04:08 PM.
        Cheers, Brad.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironwood View Post

Yes they are very stunning Todd, pity they always seem to be in the very shaded sections of the creek.
          I am hoping to get better shots than these when I get better with this Better Beamer, still very much in the testing phase.
          I might have to clear a few spots along the creek so I can set the tripod up more easily as well.

Did you happen to catch up with Scott Murray while you were up Kakadu way ?

No I didn't catch Scott but he gave me some advice and tips before I went. Super helpful guy.
          Sony A7rii
          https://www.redbubble.com/people/Tod...ortfolio?asc=u

Comment

Originally posted by Toddyh View Post

No I didn't catch Scott but he gave me some advice and tips before I went. Super helpful guy.
            I saw you had commented on one of his blogs a while back, so I guessed you might know he is up there.
            I know Scott from another forum, I invited him to join up here a few months ago, but he wasn't keen to join another forum, as I think he wants to cut back his online stuff.
            Cheers, Brad.

Comment

beamer looks to be firing high to me. did you do some test pix on a wall or tree etc to get a feel for where it points? looks a credible first effort considering the range though
              Stephen Davey. Nikon Shooter

Comment

Yesterday I shot a few pics at the wall, it was still daylight and it didn't look too bad, but when I shot it at the bird you can see it was definitely aimed too high. Today when I put it back on the camera, I just grabbed a piece of cardboard as I was going out the door to try and catch the Topknots. I wedged it under the tilting head to make it sit halfway between the detents, but it was aiming slightly low, better than yesterday though. I will have to come up with something a bit more permanent, and repeatable when I get the chance. The red or white eyes are something I wasn't expecting after seeing your fantastic Owl shots. Is there anything I can do to reduce this ?
                Cheers, Brad.

Comment

The animals look like they are popping off the background.
                  It will be interesting to see what happens when you are mastering the Beemer.
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/77375175@N04/
                  Haven't been there, not done that.
                  Jo

Comment

Working...
                  X