No announcement yet.

All bird Photos.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wren

I don't see these little birds around here often. I found 3 of them up on the hill behind my house this morning, it is more open woodland type bush than what we have closer to the house.

Using my book to ID them, they look like female Red-backed Wrens. I have spotted the males before, but never have been able to get a photo of them. ( the males have the red back )
    Happy to be corrected if I have ID'd them incorrectly.

My Tamron 150-600 is playing up, the AF is very sluggish and fails to lock on a lot of the time especially if the target is not brightly lit, so I missed focus on many of the shots I took, these were about the only ones I could salvage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3756.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	437723

Name:	DSC_3764.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	437724

Name:	DSC_3783.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	437725

Name:	DSC_3791.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	437726
    Last edited by Ironwood; 28-01-2017, 08:37 AM.
    Cheers, Brad.

Lovely find Ironwood, a good salvage. Not good about the Tammy though - better get it fixed ASAP - you don't want to miss these sort of offerings.
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
    "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

Nice series. Did well to get them unobscured by too many branches.

Can't help with the ID - if you've seen the males it's quite possible they are Red backed

Birdlife Australia says..

"Adult males are unmistakable when in breeding plumage, but females, males in non-breeding plumage and young birds could be mistaken for Variegated and Superb Fairy-wrens in similar brown plumages."
      Alan

D7500 | iPhone XS Max | Mac

Flickr Instagram

Comment

Love the little 'couple'. Could be mother and child.

Comment

• Ironwood
          Ironwood commented
          Editing a comment
          You could be right Greg. They were very small birds, my book says the Red-backed Wren is the smallest of the Wrens.

Cheers Isac and Alan.

Alan, your quote there could indicate they maybe male and/or female, if its not presently their breeding cycle.
        Notice the red spot on the shoulder of the one in the first and 2nd photo, my book doesn't show this on any of the Wrens.
        I have sighted the Red-backed male on maybe 2 occasions in the last 10 years, so not common here ( unless they try and avoid my house )
        Cheers, Brad.

Comment

Well done on not letting the opportunity go to waste even with your technical difficulties.
          Gorgeous wee birds.
          Last edited by Phoenix; 28-01-2017, 09:14 PM.
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/77375175@N04/
          Haven't been there, not done that.
          Jo

Comment

• Ironwood
            Ironwood commented
            Editing a comment
            Cheers Jo. The Tamron spoilt the party a bit, but at least I got a few keepers.

Very nice series, and mostly clear of branches which are often hard to avoid.
          Alan W

My Gallery

Comment

Thanks Alan. In a couple of those shots there is a blade of grass in front of the birds feet, I de-saturated the green channel to make it less obvious, but its still there. A bit annoying, but it is what it is.....
            Cheers, Brad.

Comment

nice series. bummer about the tammy misbehaving
              Stephen Davey. Nikon Shooter

Comment

Cheers Stephen.

The Tamron has been on holidays, just came back home today. AF is working as it should now, I hope it stays that way.

Name:	DSC_5094.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	439151
                Cheers, Brad.

Comment

Working...
                X