Just chilling and chewing, Mr and Mrs Pink
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Pink-and-Greys-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	31480
    IShootACanon

Web: isacimages.com.au
    "Don't touch". Must be the scariest thing to read in braille!

My Gear
    Proudly supporting Kaarakin Black Cockatoo Conservation Centre

Handsome pair. Gotta love galahs... Nice clean feathers too. There's been a few around our place recently with brown splotches on the grey feathers. Not sure if it's some kind of fungus or what.

Comment

• Isac
      Isac commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Chris. I'll check the feathers discolouration with the Kaarakin avian vets, they should be able to shed some light on it for you.

That's a very kind offer Isac, and any information would be much appreciated. We do provide water for the local creatures - a couple of bird baths and several bowls on the ground - but the water is topped up daily and cleaned out fairly regularly. Some months ago I noticed a few galahs that were quite badly affected, but they do seem to be improving since. It doesn't seem to have affected any other birds at all. Of course, our block is small compared to birds' territories so I don't know where they roam and what conditions are like elsewhere.

It only seems to affect the grey feathers. Excuse my posting a pic on your thread, but it looks like this. Unfortunately I deleted the pictures of the worst affected birds as it wasn't very photogenic! When I first saw it I thought it might be mud, but birds tend to keep their feathers pretty clean and in good condition.

Name:  Feathers.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  105.0 KB

Comment

• Isac
      Isac commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info and pic Chris. I don't mind the post in my thread at all. We all do it, so it's a good thing

Does look like the residues from where they have been feeding. I see them all the time with their head down in the dirt and dirty feathers grubbing out seeds and whatever else they can find. They are very common alongside the walking tracks here in Devonport.
    It's the little things!

Cheers, Greg C.

Comment

I feel quite down when they commit suicide on the bike fairing. I think they enjoy playing chicken. Nice looking birds though.
      Better a full bottle in front of me
      than a full frontal lobotomy.
      Hans

Comment

• Isac
        Isac commented
        Editing a comment
        Sad when they have to die like that Hans. (see post below).

Originally posted by seaslug View Post
      Does look like the residues from where they have been feeding. I see them all the time with their head down in the dirt and dirty feathers grubbing out seeds and whatever else they can find. They are very common alongside the walking tracks here in Devonport.
      I guess it could be, but it only seems to show on the grey feathers, and not on the pink breast feathers. I regularly see them dig up the ground here (I guess they're looking for edible roots, nodules etc) and I would expect the front of the bird to be affected first as they're using their beaks. I suppose they could be indulging in some sort of muddy activity at another location though. Mysterious...

Comment

I've seen a few different birds pass away due to their lack of navigational skills in this modern world we have inflicted on them. I saw a Kookaburra dive straight into a Mercedes Benz windscreen and the lady driver was extremely distressed over it. I saw 2 big black Crows having a courting session on power lines and when they touched, they just exploded and fell to the ground still burning! The first ever Carnaby's cockatoo to be born in captivity (at Kaarakin) died when he caught himself in wire that was used to hold a perch to the aviary mesh. He was absolutely gorgeous.
        This is Billy.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Billie.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	31514
        IShootACanon

Web: isacimages.com.au
        "Don't touch". Must be the scariest thing to read in braille!

My Gear
        Proudly supporting Kaarakin Black Cockatoo Conservation Centre

Comment

two nice galahs. if you could get an angle that gets some light in the eyes. it lift this.
          Stephen Davey. Nikon Shooter

Comment

Working...
          X