X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galahs and then more galahs...

Some years back, when I got my first DSLR - a Canon 600D with two inexpensive kit lenses, I dashed outside and zoomed in on the first birds I saw - two galahs on a branch high above. In my excitement I failed to notice that one was in deep shade and it’s head wasn’t even showing! So much for carefully composing your shots….

So for nostalgic reasons I kept the picture, and made a small addition.

Name:  Wakey wakey.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  86.0 KB

Taking more notice of what I’m shooting now. Two birds turning on the cute while inspecting the available real estate in a tree to the west of our house. Shot from the verandah.
    Name:  Nest west.jpg
Size:  162.4 KB

Another site to the east of the house. Visiting the neighbours.

Name:  Nest east.jpg
Size:  217.5 KB

Garden gossips. “I’m telling you this in strictest confidence, but……”
    Name:  Garden Gossips.jpg
Size:  224.5 KB

Flying past “The Cottage” - a two roomed shed that I built 30 year ago. We lived in it unofficially for two years while I built the main house - fulfilling a long held dream to build a home.
    Name:  Galah & shed.jpg
Size:  104.5 KB

Lookout - No Brakes! Well, it’s not really how it looks. The galah had just been spooked by the magpie and was actually flying upwards, and away from the maggie. It flew up for a couple of metres and then landed again and they continued foraging.
    Name:  Galahs 08 no brakes.jpg
Size:  173.7 KB
    More to come

Comparing feather fashion notes with a bronzewing pigeon.

Name:  Galah & bronzewing.jpg
Size:  113.6 KB

And doing the Hokey Cokey

Name:  Galah hokey cokey.jpg
Size:  195.8 KB
    Foraging alonside mum and baby bandicoot.
    Name:  Galah & bandicoots.jpg
Size:  216.2 KB

And when you get bored.. You clack your beak and up they jump! Scaring a bandicoot.
    Name:  Bandicoot12a.jpg
Size:  202.8 KB

Breakfast. I mostly try and get pictures with some kind of action or story, and have never had the patience or skill to take those amazing ‘bird on a stick’ shots that the good bird shooters get. But I have started to try and get a few portraits recently. My wife says that people would pay good money to get a hairdo like this one…
    Name:  Galah eating.jpg
Size:  168.2 KB

Apologies if I've exceeded a posting limit, or tried your patience with just too many galahs.

Comment

An interesting assortment of images. I like the last one best of all. Not sure whether he is picking his nose or cleaning his feet.
      Canon, 5D MK3 5D Mk11 300mm f2.8, 28-300 f3.5-5.6, 70-200 f2.8, 100 Macro.

Gordon
      Excreta Tauri Astutos Frustrantor

Comment

A beaut display of them. Well done.
        It's the little things!

Cheers, Greg C.

Comment

Great images, great stories and NO you will never exceed your quota - because we don't have one. One thing we all like though, is numbering photos if we have more than 2 in the set. main reason being, we can use the number as a reference when we comment on your images. Cheers.
          IShootACanon

Web: isacimages.com.au
          "Don't touch". Must be the scariest thing to read in braille!

My Gear
          Proudly supporting Kaarakin Black Cockatoo Conservation Centre

Comment

Gorgeous pictures. Even the cottage is color coordinated.
            Better a full bottle in front of me
            than a full frontal lobotomy.
            Hans

Comment

Thanks very much for all the kind comments.

I do confess to a bit of cheating by putting out a handful of good quality mixed seed in the morning to lure the local birds to pose. A "Snap for a Snack" deal that does seem popular with them. I only put out a small amount so that it doesn't mess with their natural diets or make them reliant on handouts.

My test is breaking open the pellets that the magpies regurgitate, and checking that they have the right balance of wing cases, insect legs etc in them. And they always do. My small bribes only last for a few minutes as we can get up to 40 visitors in the early morning - mostly magpies, galahs, bronzewing pigeons, 28s, bandicoots etc. The biggest lure isn't the free grub, it's water bowls, bird-baths, and a wide range of trees and shrubs, insects, natural edible roots, etc. Overall we'd get twenty or more varieties of birds that visit and only a small handful are interested in the free seed.

Cheers,

Chris

Disputed territory. Sunrise happening from the left. I'm sure this could be improved when and if I get the hang of Lightroom and Photoshop.

Name:   Disputed Territory 01.jpg
Size:  202.6 KB

Comment

Great to have that at your doorstep.

I try to encourage them at home with the trees I have but the Wattle-birds seem to have taken over. They are quite aggressive to any of the smaller honey-eaters and I'm not quite sure what to do to get a balance back.
                It's the little things!

Cheers, Greg C.

Comment

I'd forgotten the wattle birds. We do get some of them here but they haven't taken over. We probably get half a dozen or more types of small birds like New Holland Honeyeaters, thornbills, and so on but I only tend to see them close to the house when the grevilleas and other bushes are in flower.

The kookaburras, which count as an introduced species in West Australia, could be a problem but they don't seem to have taken over on the block, although I hear them calling up and down the valley and see them fairly often.

We do have some resident species that I see all year round, but some will come and go for no obvious reasons. For instance we usually only get a couple of ravens, irregularly, and they were easily spooked. But a couple of months ago there were five or six and they got very bold. Currently they're nowhere to be seen. Hanging out somewhere else in the valley no doubt.

I did start trying to make a pictorial record of all the birds and also the wildflowers, but it has stalled lately. I need to get back to it and fresh it all up!

Cheers,

Chris

Comment

• seaslug
                    seaslug commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It’s a great idea, not only as a reference for yourself, but as a reference and comparison for the future.

quite like the galah with mum and bub bandicoot. nice light and sharp. puts them all in size perspective too. great details in the close up galah too. well done
                  Stephen Davey. Nikon Shooter

Comment

Originally posted by avkomp View Post
                    quite like the galah with mum and bub bandicoot. nice light and sharp. puts them all in size perspective too. great details in the close up galah too. well done
                    STEVE, just to keep you in the loop. ChrisC333 the original poster of this thread passed away of a massive heart attack while interacting with this Forum. His wife completed the post in a reply to Ossie Traveller a week or so ago.
                    It's the little things!

Cheers, Greg C.

Comment

yeah, I saw that. very sad. saw that comment after I had commented on all the other threads. very sad
                      Stephen Davey. Nikon Shooter

Comment

Working...
                      X