Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fremantle Leeuwin-2

Went to the Fremantle wharf and took a couple of photos.

The STS (Sail Training Ship) Leeuwin II is a tall ship based in Fremantle, Western Australia.

The Leeuwin ll is a three-masted barquentine. It was built to a design by local naval architect Len Randell by Australian Shipbuilding Industries Pty Ltd (now BAE Systems Australia) and launched on 2 August 1986. It is currently operated by the Leeuwin Ocean Adventure Foundation, a private not-for-profit organisation that runs youth training voyages along the West Australian coast.

The ship's overall length is 55 metres (180 ft) and its beam 9 metres (30 ft). The hull is welded steel with a teak deck. The main mast is 33 metres (108 ft) tall and, when fully rigged, the ship carries over 810 square metres (8,700 sq ft) of sails. A full crew consists of 55 people, consisting of 5 permanent crew, up to 10 volunteers (including four watch leaders, a bosun's mate, cook's mate and purser), and 40 trainees. The watch leaders take control of the four watch groups and lead the trainees through activities and ship duties on voyages of five days and more.
    If members are interested in more details about the Leeuwin-2 story, here's a bit more to read. Leeuwin-2.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Leeuwin II - 2.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	413963

Name:	Leeuwin II - 1.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	413964

Name:	Leeuwin II - 4.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	413965
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
    "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Sounds interesting, similar to what the Young Endeavour operates. I think it would be a great experience for many young people.

Comment

Must be a great thrill for the kids.

I could do a trip on that! One of these days I'll leave my childhood behind and progress to adulthood but I'm not rushing it.
      -----------------------------------------------------
      Question everything ~ Christopher Hitchins

Comment

Thanks P Plates and LC. It seems I have misplaced my youth button - I know it's around here somewhere. Perhaps my wife has hidden it in a spot she can't remember. I guess I'll have to sit the next journey out. I'd love to be on that ship on the open seas. Mick, adulthood is much over rated so stay where you are for as long as you can.
        I Shoot A Canon

"I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

One more with info.

Name:	Leeuwin II - 5.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	414178
          I Shoot A Canon