Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishbones.

Fishbones on the riverbank in Mackay.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0612.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	426830

Name:	DSC_0610.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	426831

Name:	DSC_0609.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	426832
    Cheers, Brad.

That's an interesting piece. The apparent random nature of the placement gives pause for thought
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Question everything ~ Christopher Hitchins

Comment

• Ironwood
      Ironwood commented
      Editing a comment
      I remember an article in the local paper about this artwork, I seem to remember the artist commenting on the reason for the placement of the bones, I will have to see if I can dig it up.

Totally lost on me .... no doubt worth many dollars ...... maybe if there was some order to the chaos ....
    Barb
    "If you change the way you look at things ........ the things you look at change"

Comment

• Ironwood
      Ironwood commented
      Editing a comment
      It lost a great many locals too Barb. The Mayor at the time spent many millions on various artworks to be positioned about the place, this one is mild compared to some more bizarre ones further along the river. The council still carries the debt from it all, as well as the next mayor who also tried to leave her mark with some similar things. There must be a few rich artists around the area now.

• Isac
      Isac commented
      Editing a comment
      Geez - it must have been a big fish! I think all state governments are guilty of ridiculous wast - they seem to have no concept of as to the value of tax payers money. This seems to be just one more example. It's the same here in the west. I think I'll take a few shots when I'm out again. You might have started something here Ironwood.

• Sully
      Sully commented
      Editing a comment
      Same waste of money in the big towns around here.

It would make more sense, and be more pleasing to the eye, if they were actually lined up to form a backbone ...

Just recon they could be whale bones. Don't know of any fish off Mackay that big!

Comment

• Ironwood
      Ironwood commented
      Editing a comment
      We grow some whoppers around here Greg

Leaves me cold, (not your photography). Seems to be the wrong installation in the wrong place. Sitting in grass surrounded by all those other structural elements just diminishes it imho.

Couldn't they have found a better/less cluttered spot?

I guess there is a logical reason/justification for it, which someone will soon post
    Alan

D7500 | iPhone XS Max | Mac

Flickr Instagram

Comment

• Ironwood
      Ironwood commented
      Editing a comment
      This area was cleared about 10 years ago, some old Hotels and buildings were knocked down to make this space, just across the road and into the rest of the city centre, there are many buildings dating back to the late 1800's.

Originally posted by Alan View Post
    Leaves me cold, (not your photography). Seems to be the wrong installation in the wrong place. Sitting in grass surrounded by all those other structural elements just diminishes it imho.

Couldn't they have found a better/less cluttered spot?

I guess there is a logical reason/justification for it, which someone will soon post
    Fiona Foley was the artist responsible.
    There is a fair bit of reading if you google "fish bones Mackay", but to save the trouble here is one article that gives a brief writeup on the artwork that was commissioned at the time.
    The fishbones are mentioned on pages 3 & 4.
    http://www.artspacemackay.com.au/__d...Foley_text.pdf
    Cheers, Brad.

Comment

• Alan
      Alan commented
      Editing a comment
      "Foley said, “I tend to work in an intuitive way that is responsive to the sit
      e and explores the
      physicality of the space in which the work will be sited. History and native habitats play a role in
      informing my work."

hmmm

They are strange, curious and unexpected.. maybe that is all some art really needs to be.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/77375175@N04/
    Haven't been there, not done that.
    Jo

Comment

• Ironwood
      Ironwood commented
      Editing a comment
      Cheers Jo. I didn't realise some of the other pieces along the river were by the same artist until I read the story I linked to in post #6, some of the others are certainly considered strange, curious and unexpected, and possibly out of place.

Just to give a bit of perspective of where this is sitting, my first 3 photos are possibly a bit misleading. In this photo, I am standing under the shelter thats in the background in photo #1.
    The Pioneer River runs through the middle of Mackay.

Name:	DSC_0614.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	426913

Cheers, Brad.

Comment

It can be quite tricky justifying the artwork in settings like this where so much is happening. I can see why the context is also important. Mind you.... those fish bones in one of the inland dried up salt lakes would be quite spectacular.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/77375175@N04/
      Haven't been there, not done that.
      Jo

Comment

• Alan
        Alan commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree, and also with Barb who said...

"It would make more sense, and be more pleasing to the eye, if they were actually lined up to form a backbone ..."

But seabirds would probably have repositioned them pretty quickly in real life

• Phoenix
        Phoenix commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh , yes, needs a really large seagull added to the mix now.

• Isac
        Isac commented
        Editing a comment
        Don't tempt me!

Here's the thing. Art is a thing. Public art is just that; its in the public space. A full time artist in Australia earns on average $35 000/year. Most artists have another job to support their creativity. The public official who decides on what is purchased, if anything, is just that: a public official, elected by the community to act on their behalf. Artwork is purchased by committees made up of council members and members of the public. Anyone can attend such committee meetings and make a vocal or written contribution. More than often, the art work is purchased through grants which partly fund the purchase. These grants are offered through state and federal funding. Such funding is allocated at budget time. We vote for these people with the knowledge that this is their responsibility. They advocate for and support all forms of art thought out Australia. This support enhances out culture, adds to out experiences and supports the artist. Photography as an art is included in this endeavour. As with photography, whether we like a piece or not is irrelevant to its production. That's the artists business. The choice off work is deliberated after submissions, considerations, critical determinations and impact on placement. It is possible for anyone to submit work when submissions are called for. Often a theme is suggested and the artist will make an interpretation of the theme, sketch the ideas, make a model and submit the ideas with an extensive presentation. Is fine not to like something but don't make rash assumptions about how the process is determined and how much money any individual makes.

Comment

• Ironwood
        Ironwood commented
        Editing a comment
        No need to make rash assumptions, a quick google reveals the artist in question was paid $2,000,000 ( 2 million dollars ) to create this and a few other artworks positioned around the city, wholly funded by the Mackay City Council ( ratepayers ? )
        http://www.dailymercury.com.au/news/...street/371729/

• Ironwood
        Ironwood commented
        Editing a comment
        As it was paid for by the local ratepayers, I think they are certainly entitled to question whether they got value for money here.
        The mayor that decided to spend this money put the council about $45 million into the red while he was in office, I think the locals are entitled to be a bit peeved off about that too.

• dingo
        dingo commented
        Editing a comment
        Fiona Foley is a pretty prestigious artist. $2m is a bargain since half will disappear in tax, a fair slab in the cost of construction and a reasonable rate for the hours involved. And that's for SIX items. Cheaper by the half dozen.
        We all work for a living, I assume. The better we get the more we can charge. Ms Foley has done the hard yards. If you get that well known and good at your job you too can charge through the nose for your photos. Or is that going to happen?
        As for the mayor, well, he's your mayor. He didn't just appear on a space ship one evening and take over.
        Besides, I've heard on good authority that Queenslanders wouldn't know a bit of art if they fell over it. I've seen a few items on display in different places. Big pineapples, big cows, big testicles, all of which must have cost something unless someone is giving them away.

Fiona Foley is indeed a prestigous artist but it does not automatically follow that this is a quality work. And if half disappears in tax she needs to find a new accountant. Seriously.

I cringe whenever I see those horrific big pineapples and the like. Is that the best we can do as a nation? So I commend the council for the decision to move away from the pineapple theme but agree with Alan's comment of "wrong installation in the wrong place"

Even Bob Dylan writes bad songs, something he freely admits.
      -----------------------------------------------------
      Question everything ~ Christopher Hitchins

Comment

Quote-
        ""Fiona Foley is a pretty prestigious artist. $2m is a bargain since half will disappear in tax, a fair slab in the cost of construction and a reasonable rate for the hours involved. And that's for SIX items. Cheaper by the half dozen.
        We all work for a living, I assume. The better we get the more we can charge. Ms Foley has done the hard yards. If you get that well known and good at your job you too can charge through the nose for your photos. Or is that going to happen?
        As for the mayor, well, he's your mayor. He didn't just appear on a space ship one evening and take over.
        Besides, I've heard on good authority that Queenslanders wouldn't know a bit of art if they fell over it. I've seen a few items on display in different places. Big pineapples, big cows, big testicles, all of which must have cost something unless someone is giving them away.""

Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and no, the mayor that paid the 2 mill didnt arrive in a spaceship, he arrived in a stretch limo.

As for the big pineapples and big gonads and such, I am sure Queensland isnt the only state with tacky monuments.
        Cheers, Brad.

Comment

Well it got some comment going.. so it must be art.

Comment

Working...
          X