Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you expect to see in a city street in Reykjavik Iceland?

A sign on a pub, says it all.

The mind boggles when you see this.

The museum is extremely popular to tourists. Read on. The Icelandic Phallological Museum (Icelandic: Hið Íslenzka Reðasafn), located in Reykjavík, Iceland, houses the world's largest display of penises and penile parts. The collection of 280 specimens from 93 species of animals includes 55 penises taken from whales, 36 from seals and 118 from land mammals, allegedly including Huldufólk (Icelandic elves) and trolls. In July 2011, the museum obtained its first human penis, one of four promised by would-be donors. Its detachment from the donor's body did not go according to plan and it was reduced to a greyish-brown shriveled mass that was pickled in a jar of formalin. The museum continues to search for "a younger and a bigger and better one."[2]
    Founded in 1997 by since-then retired teacher Sigurður Hjartarson and now run by his son Hjörtur Gísli Sigurðsson, the museum grew out of an interest in penises that began during Sigurður's childhood when he was given a cattle whip made from a bull's penis. He obtained the organs of Icelandic animals from sources around the country, with acquisitions ranging from the 170 cm (67 in) front tip of a blue whale penis to the 2 mm (0.08 in) baculum of a hamster, which can only be seen with a magnifying glass. The museum claims that its collection includes the penises of elves and trolls, though, as Icelandic folklore portrays such creatures as being invisible, they cannot be seen. The collection also features phallic art and crafts such as lampshades made from the scrotums of bulls.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00635_DxO Pub sign.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	441861

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00633_DxO Penis Museum.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	441862
    Nikon D810 Nikon 24-70mm f2.8
    Nikon 105mm f2.8 Micro lens
    150-600mm Tamron

Well that has piqued my curiosity..
    Alan

D7500 | iPhone XS Max | Mac

Flickr Instagram

Comment

Good photos Doug. Very humerous to outsiders but probably wouldn't turn heads of the locals. I did see similar type signs in Noumea on New Caladonea Island.
      I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
      "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

Working...
      X