No announcement yet.

Includes seascape, panorama and travel photography

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A view from a place of punishment

A little wet outside today, this gave me an opportunity to go through some shots from a trip around the Tasman Peninsula last June.

Coal Mines Historic Site, on the Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania.
    The first operational mine in Tasmania, after an outcrop of coal was discovered at Plunkett Point by surveyors in 1833. The first shipment of coal left the mine on 5 June 1834. By 1843 there were 579 prisoners here, with 27 soldier guards, 35 civilian supervisors and administrators, 14 of their wives and 90 children.
    A pair of two-storey blocks containing 108 separate apartments was built to try to prevent what official reports called ‘the most horrid offence’, homosexual activity. It was suspected at every convict station, but at the Coal Mines most of all because of the type of men who were sent here. They were regarded as hopelessly corrupt, and their work meant that it was very difficult to supervise them at all times. Despite no evidence to justify this panic officials remained convinced that drastic action was needed. Under these separate apartments are 36 stone and brick solitary cells, enclosed by a high wall. Men under punishment might spend as many as 30 days in one of these cells.
    The coal mines were subsequently closed by the government in 1848 on both ‘moral and financial grounds’.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WEB-4011.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	868.8 KB
ID:	441682

CHEERS
    BART

Beautifully framed. Great depth. Lovely light and texture.

Verticals are vertical and horizontals are horizontal. Sky is interesting and exposure looks spot on.

Yet no comments or even suggestions

This place continues to get quieter and quieter
    Alan

D7500 | iPhone XS Max | Mac

Flickr Instagram

Comment

• HDJ80
      HDJ80 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Alan.
      Your not wrong about it being quite around here, I know I'm not here everyday due to work and other commitments but it looks like the hand full of regulars and that's it.

Really like this. My only suggestion would be try different times of day. See if that wall comes to life.
    Sony A7rii
    https://www.redbubble.com/people/Tod...ortfolio?asc=u

Comment

• HDJ80
      HDJ80 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Toddy.
      I think maybe later in the day the sun may light up the wall but as this was whilst on holiday time was a little restricted. I would like to go back again one day and have a look later in the day.

Beautiful effect Bart. Is this a single photo?
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
    "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

• HDJ80
      HDJ80 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Isac.
      Yes mate a single image.
Working...
X