Includes seascape, panorama and travel photography

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West MacDonnells 2

Ormiston Gorge from above

My sister, who I picked up in Alice Springs after she did parts of the Laripinta Walk, climbed this in the darkness so as to experience the sunrise. Mt Sonder is 130 km (81 mi) west of Alice Springs along the MacDonnell Ranges in the West MacDonnell National Park. It marks one end of the celebrated Larapinta trail, which extends 223 kilometres (139 mi) to Alice Springs. The shape of the mountain is a double peak, the relative heights of which are somewhat ambiguous from the summit, although easy to identify from the surrounding plains. The mountain can be seen from the western half of the Larapinta trail, up to Ormiston Pound, which obscures it from then on.
    Explorer Ernest Giles named the mountain in honour of German botanist Dr. Otto Wilhelm Sonder.[2]
    A clearly defined walking track exists up the western side, taking about 12 kilometres (7.5 mi). Water is available from a water tank 50 metres (160 ft) beyond the carpark, and a direction plate can be found at the summit. This however is not the true summit, which is 750 metres (2,460 ft) away, but has been chosen for safety reasons. The view from the top boasts the taller Mount Zeil to the west, the West MacDonnell Range to the east, Glen Helen, a nearby resort, to the east and Gosses Bluff to the south west on a clear day.
    Alan

D7500 | iPhone XS Max | Mac

Flickr Instagram

Beautiful Must do this again sometime and get more pictures.
    Better a full bottle in front of me
    than a full frontal lobotomy.
    Hans

Comment

Such a beautiful place Alan. I preferred Ormiston over Big Hole myself but they are both beautiful spots. You've captured them well and both seem tranquil, which is often an effort at Big Hole with all the backpackers.
      Sony A7rii
      https://www.redbubble.com/people/Tod...ortfolio?asc=u

Comment

Thanks you two.

Yes Todd, on the beach to the left of me were a large group of scantily dressed "Hippies" playing guitars and drums
        Alan

D7500 | iPhone XS Max | Mac

Flickr Instagram

Comment

• Toddyh
          Toddyh commented
          Editing a comment
          That sounds about right.

Fabulous photos Alan. I used to be a scantily clad hippie back in the day. It made it easier for the "Free Love" that was going around. The girls wore less than the guys. Reminds me of a song back then called "Let It All Hang Out" by the Hombres in 1967! Would you believe we still play that song in our band?
        I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
        "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

Working...
        X