• Show
Clear All

• Kings Canyon Rim Walk.

Head of the Canyon

Same wall from the other side

Alan

D7500 | iPhone XS Max | Mac

Flickr Instagram

How amazing are those cliffs Alan. You would swear they've been cut with a rock saw.
    Sony A7rii
    https://www.redbubble.com/people/Tod...ortfolio?asc=u

Comment

• Alan
      Alan commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Todd. I passed a guided tour and overheard the guide's thoughts about the cliff.

They are difficult to see in this photo, but there are many faint, concentric circles in the cliff face.

His theory was that, many years ago there was a major rain event, and sandstone, being porous, absorbed a massive amount of water until it couldn't hold it any more and the whole cliff face sheared off along a fault.

The resulting reverberations in the remaining cliff left the paler rings. As good as any explanation I reckon

• Toddyh
      Toddyh commented
      Editing a comment
      Makes sense to me. If true it means the sandstone fell into the canyon so long ago it has all be eroded away. That's pretty amazing.

Stunning photos Alan, showing just how rugged our country is. #1 would look good in oil and framed on a wall.
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
    "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

Thanks Greg

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rim Frame PH.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	225.7 KB
ID:	442013
      Alan

D7500 | iPhone XS Max | Mac

Flickr Instagram

Comment

• Isac
        Isac commented
        Editing a comment
        Great Alan! Nice oil job. Looks like you used my matte board action. How did you do the frame?

• Alan
        Alan commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Greg.

Yes, I used your matt board action, but couldn't get any frame ones to work - I needed to read the instructions better. So I quickly found a free frame on Web Clip Art somewhere.

Cheers
    Working...
    X