• ORB SPIDER

Click image for larger version

Name:	orb 1.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	385.8 KB
ID:	442767Found In Someone elses Garden
    It was very big
    Attached Files

You're not wrong! It looks huge. and I must say that photo itself is excellent with lovely light and bokeh.
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
    "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

Love those hairy legs!

Good find Bill.

Comment

G'day Bill

You have managed to photograph one of those subjects that I have had a love affair with for far too many years ... the wonderful Nephila [Golden Orb] spider

You have managed to find the female [always larger then the male], tho often you can find a small male on the outer reaches of the web and always on the other side of the silk strands

This sort of stuff is where I use a +3 dioptre close up lens on the 300mm long lens so that I can get beaut magnification but from a distance of 1/3-metre via the +3 lens

Well done mate ! .... any more?
        Phil

Comment

I have a set of close up rings. Would that make it better I shot this using a 18-200 lens, I also have a sigma macro/zoom which must I,m not to impressed with. I tried to get a better position but there was to many bushes I also used a flash with a Gary Fong style diffuser, set at 1/128 power Never tried that before Any suggestions would be very welcome Bill

Comment

Very well captured, these Spiders are worth the shot.
            A HAPPY PENTAX USER

Comment

Originally posted by bill jolley View Post
              I have a set of close up rings. Would that make it better I shot this using a 18-200 lens, I also have a sigma macro/zoom which must I,m not to impressed with. I tried to get a better position but there was to many bushes I also used a flash with a Gary Fong style diffuser, set at 1/128 power Never tried that before Any suggestions would be very welcome Bill
              G'day Bill
              Let me answer this one in some detail via a new post - and we'll keep this thread about your image

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by bill jolley View Post
                I have a set of close up rings. Would that make it better? I shot this using a 18-200 lens, I also have a sigma macro/zoom which must I,m not to impressed with. I tried to get a better position but there was to many bushes I also used a flash with a Gary Fong style diffuser, set at 1/128 power. Never tried that before. Any suggestions would be very welcome Bill
                G'day again Bill

2 or 3 things here .....
                a) I have added some notes on "using your big zoom lens for closeups" into the tech notes area, and

b) your comment above "I also have a sigma macro/zoom which must I'm not to impressed with" ... Some years back I bought a Pentax dSLR plus 2 Sigma APO lenses to replace my old Panasonic FZ30 superzoom using its 12x zoom Leica lens. Following test after test, I could not get the Sigma lenses to show any better sharpness than the Panasonic, something that disappointed me immensely as the Pentax sensor was 9x larger than the Panasonic sensor.

c) I note [when I posted this note to you] that you are already using the 18-200 lens [this image at 175mm]
                Q:- what was the lens to spider distance??

Hope the attached notes help you a bit - and pl come back with any queries re- close up stuff
                Phil
                Last edited by Ozzie_Traveller; 28-06-2017, 08:24 PM.

Comment

good capture of this one. golden orbs make amazing webs that really catch the light
                  Stephen Davey. Nikon Shooter

Comment

Working...
                  X