Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A morning walk with the Better Beamer

I put the Tamron 150-600 and Yongnou 568 and the Better Beamer on the D7100 this morning and went for a walk in the backyard.
    There was probably enough light for most of the shots, but with the strong side lighting it came in handy for some fill light at times.
    I don't see these Rainbow Bee-eater's often at my place, so it was a surprise to see about a dozen of them working the trees near my shed.
    Wasn't easy to get a clear shot of them, as they were quite high up, and constantly on the go.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1183.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	443421

Name:	DSC_1185.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	443422

Name:	DSC_1188.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	443423
    Cheers, Brad.

Wompoo Pigeon.

Name:	DSC_1235.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	443425
    Cheers, Brad.

Comment

And some Butterflies...

Name:	DSC_1133.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	443427

Name:	DSC_1135.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	443428

Name:	DSC_1149.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	443429
      Cheers, Brad.

Comment

Name:	DSC_1156.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	443431

Name:	DSC_1167.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	443432
        Cheers, Brad.

Comment

This one didn't like staying still for more than a second at a time.

Name:	DSC_1164.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	443434

Name:	DSC_1170.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	188.7 KB
ID:	443435
          Cheers, Brad.

Comment

Nice shots, but I have no idea what a 'better beamer' is.

Comment

• Ironwood
              Ironwood commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Greg. The BB is a flash extender, mounts onto your speedlight and holds a fresnel lens which focuses the flash light into a beam. Enables you to light a subject up to 30 or 40 meters out. Takes a bit of getting used to, but can be a handy bit of gear.

Gee Whiz mate - what a great collection of images ... and such a versatile range from closeup to high in the trees
            10/10 from me

Phil

Comment

• Ironwood
              Ironwood commented
              Editing a comment
              Cheers Phil. Because of my work, I don't get to enjoy my backyard in the mornings very often, so it was great to be out there, the photos are just a bonus.

So I clicked on the post and fiddling around with something else then looked back at the screen and it was filled with a lovely array of colours ...the blue and yellow really make nice on monitor. LOVE the first two shots of the butterfly ... beautiful shots all round and now I know what a better beamer is too.
            Anna
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/ladymilli/
            My stuff - 7D |100mm macro|Tamron 17-50mm|50mm 1.8|Sigma 50mm 1.4| stuff for macro

Comment

• Ironwood
              Ironwood commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Anna. I have decided I will use the Better Beamer more often on my walks, the colours are boosted with some extra light. These are all handheld at 600mm and 1/250th shutter speed, I cant do that without the flash.

Thanks Brad, I remember you mentioning it once before now. It certainly lifts those subjects in the trees. Well done.

Comment

I learnt about them from Avkomp, he uses one to good effect on his Owls etc. If you are shooting 300mm+ in less than ideal conditions, they are worth looking into. I got mine from the US for about 80 bucks. The bird photos above were all from around 20-30 meters away, while the Butterflies were 4-5 meters from the lens.
              Cheers, Brad.

Comment

I had no idea what a better beamer was either. Now I do so thanks Brad.
                Sony A7rii
                https://www.redbubble.com/people/Tod...ortfolio?asc=u

Comment

good result on these despite the angles. can look into making your own too, used to be able to get those full page magmifiers from a stationery or newsagent.
                  cut the centre out and some arms from a bit of heavy plastic or similar.
                  a better beamer is a flash extender. cant speak for the newer flashes, but the sb800 has the ability to zoom up to 105mm, so if you have longer focal length on than that , you are throwing light out the sides and illuminating a bigger area than your lens sees..the beamer focuses your flash so the beam is tigher and goes further. or up close gives you a quicker follow up shot.
                  you might think of a garden sprinker throwing water in a wide circle goes say 2m but if you narrow the steam down it goes 5 or more. same deal really

Stephen Davey. Nikon Shooter

Comment

• millicat
                    millicat commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for the info Stephen, am googling now to see the DIY version. I did look online at the magmod after my above post and seems a bit out of my budget. I have not taken photos of bugs and buzzys for a long time.
                Working...
                X