Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recognise this tree?

I have this tree growing outside my window and was surprised when I found it like this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1711_MG_3888.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	822.8 KB
ID:	446398
    Better a full bottle in front of me
    than a full frontal lobotomy.
    Hans

Can't say I've ever seen this type of tree before, leaf shape gives the impression it may be a species of eucalypt.
    A HAPPY PENTAX USER

Comment

I wont keep you in suspense it is a Kurrajong..
      Hans

Comment

• seaslug
        seaslug commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok you beat me to it.. it also looks like an Emu bush.

I think it may be a Bignonia Emu Bush. Eremorphila bignoniiflora.

Comment

• HansE
        HansE commented
        Editing a comment
        Had a look and can see why you would suggest this. It looks a bit different when you see the tree at a more usual distance.

100% Kurrajong Australian native. Every home should have one

This is interesting:

Eating Kurrajong seeds/plants (Brachychiton)

The Kurrajong tree has a lot to offer a garden, as it is not only very hardy, it is also useful and edible! Kurrajong seeds can be roasted and eaten (note it should be cooked in one way or another before eating); Aboriginal people roasted & ground the seeds and used it to make cakes. It was also used as a flour-extender. It is quite a useful, sustainable food source, as the seeds remain in their pods a long time, and stay good for a year or more whilst in the pod. Simply pick what you need and leave the rest on the tree. Possibly for the birds, things are always better shared

A bushcraftoz.com forum member said “After 5 to 10 minutes, the seeds start to become crunchy, so when lightly toasted, they become crunchy on the outside and are somewhat like popcorn kernels which haven’t popped, but not as hard as that. They are nice as a snack, but the oil and salt, really lifted the flavours and the appeal of the seeds.” Seeds are very nutritious and are high in protein, minerals, and fats.
      I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
      "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

Must have a go at the seeds. I will try and remember to let you know how they went. ISO 800 1/250th at f16 caught the bee for scale.
        Hans

Comment

Working...
        X