Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green caterpillar

Found this amazing green caterpillar on our new maple tree. Alas, it ate every single leaf of our tree! We thought the tree was dying when we first saw all the leaves gone but then discovered this caterpillar. It's known as a looper caterpillar but don't know what kind of moth or butterfly it might be. Maybe someone here might know?Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0865.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	446978
    Kathie M Thomas,
    I'm a Nikon girl
    Web Flickr

Good catch, I haven't seen any caterpillars so far this year.
    A HAPPY PENTAX USER

Comment

Just a thing on a stick but a wonderful presentation Kathie. Minimalistic in a sense.
      I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
      "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

You mean it is going to survive ? I would have thought being a model would have been its last act.
        Hope your tree didn't mind getting eaten.
        Better a full bottle in front of me
        than a full frontal lobotomy.
        Hans

Comment

Originally posted by HansE View Post
          You mean it is going to survive ? I would have thought being a model would have been its last act.
          Hope your tree didn't mind getting eaten.
          Hubby disposed of it. Just waiting for the tree to show signs of growing leaves again... I hope.
          Kathie M Thomas,
          I'm a Nikon girl
          Web Flickr

Comment

Quite an attractive one.. if caterpillars can be attractive! I must confess to spraying for caterpillars as they would ruin almost all of my apple and pear crop if I didn’t . Good photo of it Kathie.

Comment

Originally posted by seaslug View Post
              Quite an attractive one.. if caterpillars can be attractive! I must confess to spraying for caterpillars as they would ruin almost all of my apple and pear crop if I didn’t . Good photo of it Kathie.
              Some caterpillars produce really great butterflies and they are important for pollinating. A mature tree won't get eaten up by a few caterpillars, they're just the host plant. But with my maple, it's a very young new tree so we got rid of it.
              Kathie M Thomas,
              I'm a Nikon girl
              Web Flickr

Comment

• seaslug
                seaslug commented
                Editing a comment
                Very true, but some produce Codlin moth which inject eggs into young fruit which destroys it in the same way that fruit fly does. I use a spray called Diapel which is not toxic and only affects the life cycle of the caterpiller. It does no harm to bees or other insects.... and we get fruit.
                No point in pollination if the fruit is destroyed.

I'm trying to learn about caterpillars and ID them @seaslug for that very reason.
              Kathie M Thomas,
              I'm a Nikon girl
              Web Flickr

Comment

Working...
              X