Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plasma troubleshooting

One of my TV's, an LG plasma about 5 years old, is playing up. Shutting itself down after 10 minutes or so, then won't turn back on, just clicks.

I pulled the main power board today and had a look for bulging capacitors and dodgy solder joints. Some looked a bit iffy, but my eyes are not what they used to be.

Out came the macro lens for a closer look at a few.
    One looks a bit suss here....
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6036.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	439953

A closer look......
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6039.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	439954

Might be the problem. A pin on one of the transformers.
    Too late now, so a job for tomorrow, de-solder, clean up, and re-solder.
    Hopefully it fixes the problem, I don't want to have to buy another TV.
    Cheers, Brad.

Seems the most likely. Still definitely power to the TV? Could be the power lead?
    Sony A7rii
    https://www.redbubble.com/people/Tod...ortfolio?asc=u

Comment

The power supply is fine. When it plays up, you can press start on the remote, the TV tries to start, but just clicks and goes back into standby. It is a problem with one of the boards inside. I am starting with the main power board as its the logical place to start.
      Hopefully some resoldering this afternoon will have it working again.
      Cheers, Brad.

Comment

I'd be buying a new LED TV. They cost half as much as plasma to run so you will save in power consumption. In 5 hours use a 55" plasma will use about 136 kw and an LED will use 67 kw. Just something to think about. You didn't say why you didn't want to buy a new TV. The most power consumed in TV's is by the backlighting and just about all power is converted into heat. Just a bit of trivia. I hope you do get it fixed, keep us posted.
        I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
        "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

Its a bit of a long story Isac.
          This 50" plasma was in my bedroom, it gets used maybe an hour each night. When it started playing up I went and bought a 60" LED, which is in the bedroom for the short term. I had an older LCD TV in the lounge which died about a year ago, in the meantime I took my Sons 50" plasma out of storage from the Granny flat, and put it in the lounge, ( he has been working over in WA for 3 years ) . He has just come back to QLD and is about to move into his own place and wants his TV back. So as a result, I am hastily trying to fix this Plasma TV, so it can go back into my bedroom and the new LED TV can come out and take up it s new spot in the lounge room.
          So.....if I can't get this one working again, I either have to buy another screen for my bedroom, or go without in there. Best option is to get this one working
          Cheers, Brad.

Comment

• Isac
            Isac commented
            Editing a comment
            Explained well and understood. Cheers and good luck with it.

Well, looks like I have had a win with this one. I resoldered 4suspect pins on the 2 transformers, turned it on at 4pm this arvo, and it's been running fine since then, over 3 hours now. Hopefully good for another 5 years
          Cheers, Brad.

Comment

• Isac
            Isac commented
            Editing a comment
            I'd like to borrow that soldering iron Brad. I might be able to get the missus to stay switched on for a bit longer HaHa
        Working...
        X