X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 224 second exposure

I tried to capture a City Cats progress up the Brisbane river by keeping the shutter open for the whole trip past me at Kangaroo Point, which was 224 seconds. It is a soft image because the wind was quite gusty and for some reason when using mirror lock on my camera it is not transferring the images to the CF card. I held on to the tripod to try and steady it but it stull gusted enough to move it and soften the shot more than I liked. I guess hanging onto it for that long you are bound to get some sort of movement.

City Cat along the river by LJG_Images, on Flickr

Same spot, looking towards Southbank across the Pacific Motorway. There is plenty of large construction happening with lots of cranes dotting the skyline

Cranes in the night by LJG_Images, on Flickr

Here is an old favourite spot, Wilsons Outlook looking towards the Story Bridge. Notice the remains of the Brisbane Riverwalk down in the bottom left. Last time I was here my son and I walked all the way along the Riverwalk. It is sadly missed. I wonder if it will ever be rebuilt. I also noticed the shed to the bottom right, it was all but taken down when they were going to re-develop this section of the river before the floods, but since the development has been knocked on the head due to the fact the council or government cannot afford it the shed has been rebuilt and is in use again for storage.

Story Bridge by LJG_Images, on Flickr
    Lloyd
    Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
    Flickr
    Smugmug

Excellent photo's Lloyd! I love the second one. The first one might be a bit soft but I still think it looks great with the light trails leading your eye right into the centre of the city.
    Tania

Comment

I like them too, number 3 is my favourite but nicely done on all 3 ..

Comment

Lloyd, they're all great - a lot of effort went into these shots - congratulations.
        IShootACanon

Web: isacimages.com.au
        Why do they put expiry dates on cartons of sour cream?

My Gear
        Proudly supporting Kaarakin Black Cockatoo Conservation Centre

Comment

Good series of images Lloyd and not enough softness to be a problem. I like the light trail on the river and the colour in the last is very eye catching. I don't get to see a cityscape too often, things get very dark here after sundown and I sometimes crave the vibrance and life of a city at night.

Hope you get the drama with your camera sorted.
          -----------------------------------------------------
          Question everything ~ Christopher Hitchins

Comment

I love them all nice photos
            All Experts at anything were once beginners

MWAH Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by tanz View Post
              Excellent photo's Lloyd! I love the second one. The first one might be a bit soft but I still think it looks great with the light trails leading your eye right into the centre of the city.
              Thanks Tania. I was a bit disappointed with the softness of the City Cat shot but geez, it was blowing pretty hard and I had to pack up straight after because it started raining. I guess I'd need a very still night to get sharpness at that length of shutter opening.

Originally posted by Jcas View Post
              I like them too, number 3 is my favourite but nicely done on all 3 ..
              Thanks Julie, glad you liked them

Originally posted by Isac View Post
              Lloyd, they're all great - a lot of effort went into these shots - congratulations.
              Thanks Isaac, the only effort was going into the city by myself, which is not a place I like to be haha

Originally posted by loose cannon View Post
              Good series of images Lloyd and not enough softness to be a problem. I like the light trail on the river and the colour in the last is very eye catching. I don't get to see a cityscape too often, things get very dark here after sundown and I sometimes crave the vibrance and life of a city at night.

Hope you get the drama with your camera sorted.
              Thanks Mick. I have been in a 3 times now but for some reason I seem to struggle with shots. I don't know the best outlooks (apart from Wilson's) and never seem to be happy with what I get. I see other peoples images of the cityscape and I just don't seem to be able to get there, either for composition or IQ. Maybe I need much more practice because I only go in every six months or so - I am not a city person, especially walking around at night. I still have not had time to worry about the camera, hopefully this weekend!

Originally posted by Nikkie View Post
              I love them all nice photos
              Thanks Sandy, glad you like them.
              Lloyd
              Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
              Flickr
              Smugmug

Comment

Love them Lloyd, the City Cat's trails are amazing and I especially love the colours on the water in your last one, it's nice to see the city and Southbank area, my son and I spent some fun times there when we lived on the sunny coast.
                Jenne

My Gallery
                My Flickr Gallery

Comment

Nice one lloyd, and any noise is nicely suppressed, love the clour reflectionin the last one especially

Comment

Originally posted by jenne View Post
                    Love them Lloyd, the City Cat's trails are amazing and I especially love the colours on the water in your last one, it's nice to see the city and Southbank area, my son and I spent some fun times there when we lived on the sunny coast.
                    Thanks Jenne. I don't get in there much at night, I should really do it more often!

Originally posted by Seesee View Post
                    Nice one lloyd, and any noise is nicely suppressed, love the clour reflectionin the last one especially
                    Thanks Col, glad you liked it. I used a grad filter on that one.
                    Lloyd
                    Flickr
                    Smugmug

Comment

I love a long Exposure.
                      I wonder how the D7000 would have coped??

I like the way the flashing light gives the dotted line. I thought that was a pretty cool effect when I was up there.
                      There are a lot of Cranes in Brisbane ATM.
                      D7100, SB700. PS CS5, LR 4.4 - Flickr

Comment

Scott, no doubt I will find out - although Mike has taken possession of it now haha I lost it on Sunday arvo. I want to try and get both the boys out for a night session soon so I will have anohter go, hopefully on a still night with no wind!
                        Lloyd
                        Flickr
                        Smugmug

Comment

realy neat stuff love #2 something to inspire too
                          cheers
                          Rod
                          Wacko-Ocker Photography

I shoot with a camera until I get paid to say other wise

www.wacko-ocker.smugmug.com

Comment

Thanks Wacko - I feel guilty calling you Wacko
                            Lloyd
                            Flickr
                            Smugmug

Comment

^^ considering the self-portrait used for an avatar I have no problems at all.
                              -----------------------------------------------------
                              Question everything ~ Christopher Hitchins

Comment

Hahahaha good one Mick!
                                Lloyd
                                Flickr
                                Smugmug

Comment

Working...
                                X