X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moon at 200 MM

Hand Held. Fairly heavily cropped then edited in Nik Vivesa

Moon B & W by Peter Why, on Flickr
    If you wish to Learn first learn silence.
    Cheers Pete.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/128884981@N07/

Moon photography is a tricky business. Most photographers eventually succumb to the challenge of taking a shot of the moon.

​I see two problems. Firstly, shots of the moon invariably look the same. It's not possible to get the moon in an interesting light, or from a different angle. And as Bella reminds me, there are no poodles on the moon. so no opportunity for improvement.

Secondly, I know that great photographic equipment does not guarantee you will be a great photographer, but with the moon, seriously good equipment by way of long, expensive lenses will give better results in the area of sharpness, clarity etc. The moon is a long way off, and the more you can fill the frame with the moon, the better the result will be.

Great result for 200mm hand held. Imagine what 600mm or 800mm with a tripod could do! Or 1200mm!
    Charles

My indecision is final, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by sejac View Post
      Moon photography is a tricky business. Most photographers eventually succumb to the challenge of taking a shot of the moon.

​I see two problems. Firstly, shots of the moon invariably look the same. It's not possible to get the moon in an interesting light, or from a different angle. And as Bella reminds me, there are no poodles on the moon. so no opportunity for improvement.

Secondly, I know that great photographic equipment does not guarantee you will be a great photographer, but with the moon, seriously good equipment by way of long, expensive lenses will give better results in the area of sharpness, clarity etc. The moon is a long way off, and the more you can fill the frame with the moon, the better the result will be.

Great result for 200mm hand held. Imagine what 600mm or 800mm with a tripod could do! Or 1200mm!
      Last time was a T connector for an 1100D on an 8" Celestron Newtonian telescope. (Or 1200mm MMMMMMMM!!!!)
      Cheers Pete.

Comment

• sejac
        sejac commented
        Editing a comment
        There's always one trouble maker!!

Fairly good for 200mm. I agree with some of what Charles has said, with one exception - you don't need expensive gear to get a good shot of the moon. My $350 Canon SX50 does a great job with digital zoom to 1200mm, in fact 1200mm is to close and I have to back it off to get the whole moon in the frame. Crazy!
      I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
      "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

Originally posted by Isac View Post
        Fairly good for 200mm. I agree with some of what Charles has said, with one exception - you don't need expensive gear to get a good shot of the moon. My $350 Canon SX50 does a great job with digital zoom to 1200mm, in fact 1200mm is to close and I have to back it off to get the whole moon in the frame. Crazy!
        If only we could travel a 1200mm.
        Cheers Pete.

Comment

Working...
        X