Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightning over Perth 1-3-2017

Long lasting storms over Perth and surrounds last night. One really deafening strike at 7:30. This would have woken up the whole city. It was like a long slow whip cracking sound at 1000 times louder. You could here dogs going berserk all over the neighbourhood. I took this from my driveway hand held using Bulb mode which never fails to get lightning shots. You just set the widest angle on the lens (this was the Tamron 16-300), focus to infinity, point to where the action is and hold the shutter button down. As soon as you see the lightning, quickly release the shutter. This was taken on one of those old fashioned cameras called a DSLR, soon to become extinct thanks to phonie cameras. HaHa.

Canon EOS 7D | 26 sec | | F 16 | ISO 100 | 16 mm | Spot Metering | Bulb Mode
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Lightning-1st-March-2017.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	439168
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
    "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

A few amps there. Spectacular for a single event.
    Better a full bottle in front of me
    than a full frontal lobotomy.
    Hans

Comment

Very Impressive!! I wouldn't have thought of hand holding - but it makes sense.
      Alan

D7500 | iPhone XS Max | Mac

Flickr Instagram

Comment

Thanks guys. Hand holding is a lot easier than tripod set up. I just hold the camera on my chest, hold the shutter button down and point in the general direction of where I think the strike will happen. At 16mm you can cover a big area of the sky. This time it was all in the same place for a fair while. As I said before, just release the shutter as soon as the sky lights up. KISS principle I suppose.
        I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
        "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

Excellent shot and it was quite a storm, skylights were working like a Disco.
          A HAPPY PENTAX USER

Comment

• Isac
            Isac commented
            Editing a comment
            Nasty clap of thunder and lightning for sure, did it wake you up?
        Working...
        X