Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Astrophotography: Here I come ready or not!

To cut a very long story short; I was searching for reviews of the new Sony A7r camera and stumbled onto a thread where a guy was showing some astro images captured with the Sony mounted on a single arm barn door tracker.

Love at first sight for me.

The tracker is pretty simple to build though some measurements require a high degree of precision, not one of my strengths, but had a go anyway and this is the result. Needs tweaks here and there but is good enough for a test run.

The idea is to align the hinge joining the two boards with the celestial south pole and then turn the CD at precisely one rev per minute to drive the top board (where the camera is mounted) upwards at a rate that will counter the Earth's revolution. A nut is fixed to the CD.

The protractor is to adjust for latitude using an old pan and tilt head I had laying around. This, combined with a compass to locate south is all thats required for polar orientation for wide sky images. So tonight was the first field test and I was greeted with clouds in the south making orientation quite difficult. Grrrr!

The image below is nothing special but shows round stars after my first two minute exposure so I'm bloody excited to put it mildly.

Also the image was captured at 55mm and iso 6400 which is far from ideal, need to shoot much wider and at a much lower iso to control noise. I just wanted to see if the thing works, and it does.

Can't wait to get out into desert country and hopefully capture some milky way exposures. If I can get the exposure times up to five minutes and beyond with accurate tracking the possibilities are endless.

Can't really do deep sky stuff but that's not what I'm chasing at present. The goal is to shoot night landscapes with hopefully a sky full of stars.

Anyway, here's my tracker and first ever astrophotography image, pretty basic but the stars are round (well, nearly!) and that's all I was aiming for tonight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9069.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	383107

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9068.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	383108
    Last edited by loose cannon; 23-06-2014, 11:27 PM.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Question everything ~ Christopher Hitchins

That`s a pretty good result for a prototypes first outing,maybe you could work some Duct Tape and Fencing Wire into the design for fine tuning,,just kidding,great result from some homemade kit that would probably cost a small fortune if bought retail.
    C+C,EDITS OK
    I shoot a Canon 90D with a few bits of glass.

Comment

Very interesting and definitely works. You'd usually have quite a trail after a 2 min exposure. Will be interested to see your results after shooting in better conditions. Can relate to your pain, so many times I plan a night shot for a moonless night and of course after weeks of clear skies, the clouds roll in.

Comment

I like it!

Comment

Originally posted by kevinj View Post
          That`s a pretty good result for a prototypes first outing,maybe you could work some Duct Tape and Fencing Wire into the design for fine tuning,,just kidding,great result from some homemade kit that would probably cost a small fortune if bought retail.
          Cheers Kev. Saved myself about $400 by building this. Plus the personal satisfaction of DIY adds some value for me as I'd rather it be manual rather than a battery powered motor.

Gaffa tape will be used for timing markers on the CD but no plans for fencing wire to be incorporated into the build as yet, that's more in the car maintenance line.

Originally posted by P Plates View Post
          Very interesting and definitely works. You'd usually have quite a trail after a 2 min exposure. Will be interested to see your results after shooting in better conditions. Can relate to your pain, so many times I plan a night shot for a moonless night and of course after weeks of clear skies, the clouds roll in.
          In Broome we normally expect at least 300 nights a year of clear sky so I'll have plenty of opportunity to practice I hope. There was some light pollution to contend with as well. Really looking forward to getting into this stuff.

Originally posted by seaslug View Post
          I like it!
          Thanks Greg, it's all good fun.

Comment

LC you have come of age...... using latest technology stuff and all..... very impressive......... look forward to your final results
            cheers
            Rod
            Wacko-Ocker Photography

I shoot with a camera until I get paid to say other wise

www.wacko-ocker.smugmug.com

Comment

Thanks wacko.

I did use a mobile phone as a timer! I think it's called an app or something

Comment

Working...
              X