Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carina Nebula - I think

Charles has to take some credit for this photo, for his link to the Astrophotography awards.

I was lucky enough to be able to have my camera attached to a telescope recently, and this was one of the images it took. Processing it was a real struggle trying to maintain the filmy pink clouds, but at the same time getting the sky black elsewhere. I've never tried to pp one of these images before and it was much harder than I thought it would be. The images in Charles's link gave me a vision of what I needed to aim for, and by looking at them, I had a better idea of the processing needed.

This is part of the Carina Nebula.

It was taken at the Mudgee Observatory, which is open to the public, and you to can take the opportunity to hook your canon dslr's (sorry Nikon users), up to one of the telescopes. The owner John is very keen and has a lot of experience, and will open his observatory up for only one person if you want it that way. The cost of this is a whole $10 It was a new experience for me, so I'll try and organise to go back for another go. There is also a telescope for viewing the sun, so I'd love to take a look through that one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	great_carina_nebula.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	386331

Below is the jpg image from the camera raw file, so if anyone is interested in trying to play with processing it, go for it.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	keyhole_nebula.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	386332
    Last edited by inapickle; 29-07-2014, 11:48 AM.

Nice work - I also struggle with the processing of stars
    Alan

D7500 | iPhone XS Max | Mac

Flickr Instagram

Comment

That's a beauty!

Processing astro images is a whole new ballgame. I've had a couple of goes at it with limited success, it really requires some work to get the most from the raw file. The camera captures an extraordinary amount of data with a long exposure.
      -----------------------------------------------------
      Question everything ~ Christopher Hitchins

Comment

This looks great inapickle and what a wonderful opportunity - pity it's only Canon, would have made a side trip to Mudgee definitely worthwhile to try this. I agree about processing. Plenty of tutorials everywhere on how to shoot stars but then I fall down trying to get the colours right.

Comment

Working...
        X