X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mopping up after a big bushfire

Taken on an old (well, old in tech terms...) Galaxy S3 phone. One of those moments when a phone-cam is exactly the right tool for the job. It was in the pocket of my fire-suit and I could whip it out and use it in an instant, barely pausing from working on the fire. No way I could have even carried my DSLR there, let alone get it ready to use and put away again so fast. Even DFES liked it, and they used it on the front cover of the official report on the fire. Of course it had one great attribute which they recognised immediately - it was free!

Name:  Mopping Up .jpg
Views: 1
Size:  195.7 KB

That deserves the B&W treatment has a lot going for it as a photo. Drama Composition mood and tells a story.
    Better a full bottle in front of me
    than a full frontal lobotomy.
    Hans

Comment

Thanks Hans. I joined a local camera club a couple of months ago, hoping for some interesting workshops (alas, they mostly seem interested in competitions, which involve sitting for two hours on uncomfortable chairs, listening to an imported judge rabbiting on) and I turned it to B&W to enter it in that category.

It wasn't a big change as the original had almost no colour to remove. It seems to work either way. A lot of houses were saved but we lost 57 - not at that location though. The fire came within a couple of hundred metres of our house, but we have good defences so should have been OK.

Name:  Mopping Up 02a.jpg
Size:  213.4 KB

Comment

• HansE
        HansE commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks equally good in color. Well seen and captured.

Definitely worth black and white on that one. Adds to the drama immensely.

Comment

Agree with the B&W treatment. I remember that fire like it was yesterday. January 2014. I knew a lot of people who lost their homes. They also lost 7 outbuildings, as well as 392ha of bushland. I was working in Mundaring as sales manager for Steelfab Water Solutions. We manufactured and installed steel water tanks and had sold many throughout the whole area. The cause was a rotten 40 year old power pole that came down on a property owned by an 82 year old woman who lived on her own. A sad time for many and some still aren't over it. Enough sadness for 1 day, A great snap Chris.
        IShootACanon

Web: isacimages.com.au
        "Don't touch". Must be the scariest thing to read in braille!

My Gear
        Proudly supporting Kaarakin Black Cockatoo Conservation Centre

Comment

A very emotive shot.
          It's the little things!

Cheers, Greg C.

Comment

Thanks for all the comments. You're spot on Isac. It took a long time to fully black out and extinguish all the hot spots and, like so many bushfires, it was a huge tragedy for those who were hit.

This next picture doesn't really belong in the phone section, as it was taken on a small Canon Powershot at a controlled burn (maybe I should move it?). But it's another one featuring smoke. In my experience the smoke is more of a hazard than the flames when you're working on a fire-ground. Provided you follow good practice you shouldn't get hit by the flames but it's hard to always avoid being engulfed in smoke. And smoke is very hard on the lungs.

Here's a colleague emerging from more smoke than was good for him.

Name:  Volunteer Firefighter 01.jpg
Size:  151.7 KB

Comment

• Isac
              Isac commented
              Editing a comment
              Great photo Chris. My best mate who is also a photographer is a volunteer firefight in Toodyay and he's a very busy lad during summer. He does take some great photos though, which helps bring home the reality of the destructive nature of bush fires. Enough said.

Excellent work. Great story and mood.
            Better a full bottle in front of me
            than a full frontal lobotomy.
            Hans

Comment

Working...
            X