Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entering a new phase of Life

Another subject that caught my eye as I meandered the Deserts was fallen and decaying timber. Soon to be consumed by the desert sands but providing shelter for all manner of creatures for many years before they finally disappear, they appealed to me as an interesting subject for capture with the camera.

Now, images of this nature are not going to knock anybodies socks off but I'm interested to know if they have any appeal at all to others.

No need to be polite or kind folks, I fully accept that this image will have limited appeal, perhaps none at all, but am still interested to hear your thoughts.

Do you see any merit or are we simply looking at a ho hum dead tree?

-----------------------------------------------------
    Question everything ~ Christopher Hitchins

Sorry Mick - not working for me atm.

I like the colours, but maybe a lot more space around it and viewed from above (if you had a drone)?
    Alan

D7500 | iPhone XS Max | Mac

Flickr Instagram

Comment

Thanks Alan.

Comment

Pretty much a dead tree, but there is a story in there for sure.

Comment

Aspects that appeal include the composition, with the layout drawing your eye in from bottom left to right.
          I like the silhouette effect.. almost like a tree against a sunset.
          I like the story being told.. a life gone in barren wasteland.
          I like how you view, what others would see as worthless as something to ponder.
          I think there is an abstract poem to unravel in that image.
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/77375175@N04/
          Haven't been there, not done that.
          Jo

Comment

Definitely a story there Mick. I think it would have more impact if it was a less "busy" tree though.
            Cheers, Brad.

Comment

Maybe it needs a frame to 'class' it up a bit - Greg is better at it than I am.

I tried B&W and I thought a few NIK treatments had potential - but I like the orange/red

Click image for larger version

Name:	Decay.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	301.2 KB
ID:	436408
              Alan

D7500 | iPhone XS Max | Mac

Flickr Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by seaslug View Post
                Pretty much a dead tree, but there is a story in there for sure.
                Cheers Greg.

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                Aspects that appeal include the composition, with the layout drawing your eye in from bottom left to right.
                I like the silhouette effect.. almost like a tree against a sunset.
                I like the story being told.. a life gone in barren wasteland.
                I like how you view, what others would see as worthless as something to ponder.
                I think there is an abstract poem to unravel in that image.
                Thank you Jo, insightful as always. Photography, like all art forms I suppose, can be a wonderful journey into ones own mind and thoughts. An inward journey provoked while exploring the vast outback. Life and Death, both have their own strange beauty.

Originally posted by Ironwood View Post
                Definitely a story there Mick. I think it would have more impact if it was a less "busy" tree though.
                Cheers Brad. I hear what you say, simplicity is king and I agree. But here I felt there was a chaos factor that I liked. A bit of helter skelter.

Comment

I saw Alan's more space comment and straight away thought what if there was less space. What if you got in really close to ramp up that helter skelter factor more?
                  Sony A7rii
                  https://www.redbubble.com/people/Tod...ortfolio?asc=u

Comment

Thanks Alan and Todd.

Food for thought.

I plan to print this and a digital mat might be an option, b&w another option and a closer crop might work as well. Thanks for the ideas.

Comment

You have the story but the picture doesn't tell it. Center of interest? Too much detail?
                      Better a full bottle in front of me
                      than a full frontal lobotomy.
                      Hans

Comment

I'm with Alan Mick, maybe more of the beautiful red earth around it and the tree in one third of the shot? The grey seems to dominate where the red is the impact.
                        Lloyd
                        Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
                        Flickr
                        Smugmug

Comment

Working...
                        X