Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lookout!!

A slightly different take on the average view from a lookout.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_9863.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	444439

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_9865.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	444440

Attached Files
    Sony A7rii
    https://www.redbubble.com/people/Tod...ortfolio?asc=u

Different yes... did you fall over and the camera go off??

Comment

Haha no it was deliberate
      Sony A7rii

Comment

Decide what you want in focus and shoot accordingly. You'll need to understand about DoF and hyperfocal distance to do a decent job. Its funny about lookouts. They are placed there so you can get a clean shot without the **** in the foreground. If you want the ****, make it part of the picture instead of looking like you really did fall over.

Comment

Hmmm. Different!
          Better a full bottle in front of me
          than a full frontal lobotomy.
          Hans

Comment

Originally posted by dingo View Post
            Decide what you want in focus and shoot accordingly. You'll need to understand about DoF and hyperfocal distance to do a decent job.
            I did and I do. A photo from the lookout on that day would have shown grey skies with smoke. I tried something different. Seems no one likes it and that's fine. Trying new ways of looking at things isn't about pleasing everyone.
            Sony A7rii

Comment

Too true! But you would prefer to get a negative response to not getting one at all, right?
              Better a full bottle in front of me
              than a full frontal lobotomy.
              Hans

Comment

• Toddyh
                Toddyh commented
                Editing a comment
                100% Hans. Any feedback is good feedback.

Originally posted by Toddyh View Post
              I did and I do. A photo from the lookout on that day would have shown grey skies with smoke. I tried something different. Seems no one likes it and that's fine. Trying new ways of looking at things isn't about pleasing everyone.
              Or pleasing anyone, Toddy, just yourself. Having a go is the first step. Then ask yourself if it worked out the way you expected it to. Then try some other ways. As my old man would say: "don't go there if you don't like what you hear". I think he was referring to the TV but I'm sure it applies here. If it's aesthetic appeal you want, ask yourself: would this appeal to the masses? If it's descriptive only, keep things in focus. If it's to impress us on your skills, you can probably tell what we are thinking. Saying we like it would be a downright lie on our part. Saying nothing is useless to you. Maybe you could write your own appraisal. SERIOUSLY. Tell us what you think of the picture. We might learn something.

Comment

• Toddyh
                Toddyh commented
                Editing a comment
                I don't really like anything about #2. Just put it up anyway for comment.

I like the lines of #1. I like the mystery of the log being out of focus. It looks well degraded but I've kept that out of focus so that you can't tell how badly. I don't like the entire top right quarter. Avoiding a picture with any more of that sky was the aim here anyway.

Cheers, Todd.
              We have this idea that composition means things like lines, contrast, colour, texture etc. So we go for that. Then there's the different point of view. That seems important.

Problem here is that we miss the point of the picture. It's basically a recording of what we see when we see it. It's what catches our vision at the time and how we think about it.
              Its about CONTENT and CONTEXT.

In this case, you walked all that way (maybe) and saw the view but decided that wasn't what you wanted to see in the picture. It all seemed a bit dull and grey. So why not take it like that? That's the content and context. Think of how you can emphasise the way you feel about this place on this day at this moment. That'll give you a better starting point and result in a truer picture. It may not be pretty. So come again on a sunny day in spring. hen you'll get the picture you want.

If you like the log, take a picture of the log. Blurring it is just telling us you really didnt wan the log there.

Comment

• Toddyh
                Toddyh commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the comments. I didn't walk up there for the lookout. I'll start a thread showing the real reason I ventured up there.
            Working...
            X