Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 images for you to pick to pieces - please

G'day all

I'm getting ready to enter some images into the camera club's Jan-Feb monthly comp .... the subject is "Architecture"
    I can only select 3 pics - and your thoughts will influence me

1) Old Parliament House, Canberra at night

2) Internal corridor, Old Parliament House

3) The ever-popular Sandringham Beach Boxes

4) Someone's front gate & letterbox

5) A house with light & shade making patterns

So ... if you all would like to 'AvaGoYaMug' and make some comments I will be most appreciative

Phil

#1 for me Phil. Others may chose some more. Are you allowed to edit the photos or are you restricted. If you are allowed to edit, how far can you go? Can you make them B&W? Turn them in to Paintings? Sketches? I think the last one needs the RHS edge removed.
    IShootACanon

Web: isacimages.com.au
    "Don't touch". Must be the scariest thing to read in braille!

My Gear
    Proudly supporting Kaarakin Black Cockatoo Conservation Centre

Comment

That's a tough gig Phil. They all have elements I like and dislike but considering the theme of architecture, I would pick #1 as my number 1 as it most reflects a style common in the era of the old parliament building. If it was me I would probably straighten it a little and crop off the sign on the left to leave them guessing as to the nature of the building.

Next choice would be the beach houses for the bright look and happy memories. Hardly architectural design, but a valid type popular along the foreshores of Aussie beaches. The shot is well composed but a brighter sky to contrast the colors of the buildings may have helped the image.

My final pick is the shadows and shades of the final picture. To me it depicts a renovation with modern style added to an earlier building. Great leading lines which draw you through the image.

We all could do with a little more comment on our posts. Cheers Greg C.

It's the little things!

Cheers, Greg C.

Comment

Thanks fellas

I can submit 3 images into the comp - so 2 of these 5 will go unless I replace them with something better
        Isac- in #5 I left the RHS support in to keep the roof from falling down!!
        ....... I take your point re the sign on the LHS but thought it would help ID the building > so I'll consider which way to go
        ....... yes - they can be mono'd as B&W
        ....... I could perhaps 'artise' them but it's an area of PS that doesn't excite me as a 'photographer'

Greg - #5 also - yes I like the patterns of light and shade

All extra thoughts welcomed too
        Phil

Comment

Hi Phil. Interesting selection of pictures.

I also liked #1 a lot. Writing in photos tends to draw the eye, so I liked that the sign was incomplete and not too crisp. The viewer could work out for themselves what the full sign said.

#2 Grew on me the more I looked at it. It had a strong feel of a past era. Often that kind of perspective leads to a figure, but having just a closed door at the end really seemed to emphasise the feeling of a place whose heyday was in the past.

#3 Worked very well. Colourful beach shacks have been a very popular subject, so the familiarity of the theme might work against it? Depends on the judge I suppose. They might really love it, or go the opposite way and skip right past it.

#4 Missed the mark for me, although I couldn't say exactly why. The rough patch next to the box in the top right kept drawing my eye, which didn't seem helpful, but maybe that was just because I've done a fair bit of house renovating! Another eye might see it quite differently.

#5 Had some fantastic lines but - for my eye - it had rather too many elements. The cable on the left seemed a bit distracting and didn't add anything. To some extent, the patch of flowers also took the eye away from the building design. A tighter crop, removing the left hand window and starting just above the patch of flowers, might give the architectural elements more prominence?

I'd probably go for 1,2 and 3. Or possibly 1,2 and 5, especially if 5 was cropped a little differently.

Good luck with whatever you submit.

Hi Phil, this the last email that Chris will ever write. He was working on this when he suffered a massive and fatal heart attack yesterday morning. I am sending it because he would have wanted you to have his feedback. kind regards, Vicki

Cheers,

Chris

Comment

• seaslug
            seaslug commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh God!
            So sorry to hear.. my sincere condolences.
            I will miss his input on this Forum even though I didn't know him personally.

Goodbye mate. I would have loved to have met up with you, being close by. My sincere condolences Vicki, he seemed a wonderful chap and a ball of knowledge. Life is so short - RIP Chris.
          IShootACanon

Web: isacimages.com.au
          "Don't touch". Must be the scariest thing to read in braille!

My Gear
          Proudly supporting Kaarakin Black Cockatoo Conservation Centre

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisC333 View Post
            Hi Phil. Interesting selection of pictures.

I also liked #1 a lot. Writing in photos tends to draw the eye, so I liked that the sign was incomplete and not too crisp. The viewer could work out for themselves what the full sign said.

#2 Grew on me the more I looked at it. It had a strong feel of a past era. Often that kind of perspective leads to a figure, but having just a closed door at the end really seemed to emphasise the feeling of a place whose heyday was in the past.

#3 Worked very well. Colourful beach shacks have been a very popular subject, so the familiarity of the theme might work against it? Depends on the judge I suppose. They might really love it, or go the opposite way and skip right past it.

#4 Missed the mark for me, although I couldn't say exactly why. The rough patch next to the box in the top right kept drawing my eye, which didn't seem helpful, but maybe that was just because I've done a fair bit of house renovating! Another eye might see it quite differently.

#5 Had some fantastic lines but - for my eye - it had rather too many elements. The cable on the left seemed a bit distracting and didn't add anything. To some extent, the patch of flowers also took the eye away from the building design. A tighter crop, removing the left hand window and starting just above the patch of flowers, might give the architectural elements more prominence?

I'd probably go for 1,2 and 3. Or possibly 1,2 and 5, especially if 5 was cropped a little differently.

Good luck with whatever you submit.

Hi Phil, this the last email that Chris will ever write. He was working on this when he suffered a massive and fatal heart attack yesterday morning. I am sending it because he would have wanted you to have his feedback. kind regards, Vicki

Cheers,
            Chris

OMG - Oh hell! ... thanks to Vicki for the message that has left me somewhat shattered - but probably nothing like what she and Chris's family are going through
            To Vicki & family if you read this ... may I offer my heartfelt sadness at your loss of a wonderful man
            To photo group people ... hell, life's full of great uncertainties

Hugs to all here, Phil

Comment

Working...
            X