Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pelicans at the Lagoon

My Wife has announced that she wants some Pelican photos to print and hang.
    I went through what I had already, and there wasn't a lot to pick from.
    Yesterday, I had a chance around midday to head to the Lagoons at Mackay Botanical Gardens to see if I could get some better shots. Direct overhead sunlight wasn't ideal, but I don't get many chances to get out these days, so have to do as best as I can with what I have.
    Not sure how many she wants, maybe 3 or 4.

These were the pick of the shots I got ( I filled a 16gb card yesterday in about an hour )

I would appreciate your thoughts and criticisms, even if you tell me to scrap 'em and try again. I will probably try and get a chance to get some more shots to pick from before I take them to the printers.

All taken with the Nikon D7100 and Tamron 150-600 G1. All have been cropped to 16x9, because I thought it suited the first few, and followed suit with the rest.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4469.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	448430

Name:	DSC_4472 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	448431

Name:	DSC_4472.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	448432

Name:	DSC_4480.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	448433

Name:	DSC_4806.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	448434

Name:	DSC_4855.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	448435

Name:	DSC_4908.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	448436
    Cheers, Brad.

#2, 5 and 7 for me Brad. They are great characters, only get the odd one or two down here. Not like the flocks you get in Queensland.

Comment

• Ironwood
      Ironwood commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your picks Greg. There seems to be a resident flock here at the Lagoons, some days they won't cooperate though. I went back early this morning, grey clouds hiding the sun didn't help, and the Pelicans weren't interested in getting their photo taken, they were just sitting on the bank in an inaccessible spot.

#2 for me Brad.
    Does your wife have anything in mind other than just a pelican? I always think they look best when landing on the water.
    Sony A7rii
    https://www.redbubble.com/people/Tod...ortfolio?asc=u

Comment

• Ironwood
      Ironwood commented
      Editing a comment
      Cheers Todd. #2 is probably my favourite as well, but a similar one has been picked for a test run.
      She wants just Pelicans from what I understand. I have got some in flight photos that I posted a couple of months ago, I may look at them a bit closer as well.
      http://www.ausph.com/forum/photoholi...45635-pelicans

All good. I'd let her pick. Obviously the one on the left in #4 and #5 is the male! We have a few pelicans in our local lake right now which is very uncommon.
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
    "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

• Ironwood
      Ironwood commented
      Editing a comment
      I came to the same conclusion there Isac, the RH bird is definitely the female

After a bit of mind changing back and forth, this image was chosen to be the test run. It has been sent to the printers so they can do their stuff with it.

Name:	Pelicans - 2.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	448477
    Cheers, Brad.

Comment

you had nice light for these which helps. seeing as how this is in pick it to pieces. I will throw in my 2c worth. (probably would have anyhow )
      to me the first have too many pelicans. which is the subject etc? number 4 is let down by the pelican with open mouth turned away from the camera. compare that to number 5 where the pelican is open mouthed and engaging the camera. much stronger shot imho. 6 and 7 ok shots of a couple of pelicans going by.
      Stephen Davey. Nikon Shooter

Comment

Cheers Stephen, thanks for your thoughts, I was expecting harsher. I take your point with "too many Pelicans ", but I think that is part of the attraction as well. Also agree with 4 & 5. Will see what the print looks like when it gets done. I would love to be able to get close enough to them to use my Sigma 50-150 f2.8, it has much better IQ than the Tamron 150-600.
        Cheers, Brad.

Comment

Cheers Stephen, thanks for your thoughts, I was expecting harsher.
          not harsh for the sake of being harsh. calls em as I sees em

Stephen Davey. Nikon Shooter

Comment

Working...
          X