Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artificial Reef 2

The shots depicting the sinking of the 'Seal' were scans of both slides and point and shoot prints and aren't brilliant but they are there to tell the story.

The hull was effectively given to the Scuba Club to get rid of as it had been abandoned near the slipyards in the Mersey river.

After much preparation, rheems of red tape and an insurance policy ($900) in case it sank before we got it out of the river, the ship was towed about 5km to sea off Don heads and sunk.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Seal.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	336700

Name:	Going.jpg
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	336701

After one month Members of the Club including myself, dived it and found that quite a large population of Red Cod had taken up residence around and in the wreck. Unfortunately a considerable amount of damage to the structure occurred when the hull hit the bottom It was pretty obvious that is was not going to retain the shape of a ship for long.

Name:	Three weeks later.jpg
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	336702

Name:	Wreck 2012.jpg
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	336703

To be continued.
    Last edited by seaslug; 09-02-2013, 05:28 PM.

Did they make the club pay for the insurance - they should have paid you to get rid of it and you're adding a tourist attraction with the artificial reef as well.

Comment

Should get my son to go fishing there lol. Like that second pic .. so many different colours.
      Anna
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/ladymilli/
      My stuff - 7D |100mm macro|Tamron 17-50mm|50mm 1.8|Sigma 50mm 1.4| stuff for macro

Comment

Originally posted by P Plates View Post
        Did they make the club pay for the insurance - they should have paid you to get rid of it and you're adding a tourist attraction with the artificial reef as well.
        Unfortunately the Club had to pay the $900 for insurance. We did play it safe though by not adding ballast to the boat until we cleared the river mouth.

As silly as it sounds (but that's beauricrats), the building of an artificial reef comes under the Dept. of sea dumping! To just apply for a permit now entails a $10,000 fee, and you must have support from either or both Local and State Governments. I think we just got it done at the right time.

Comment

Working...
        X