Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, as no one has a TIG welder I can use to weld aluminium, I have decided to change materials AGAIN, to steel. I have access to a MIG welder plus I can MIG weld pretty well.

Before I go cutting shapes and building a faceplate again, here is a trial cut and weld of an old steel plate. First, clean it up then cut a small test piece, then beat a bit of a curve in it, then cut a 1mm slot in it, then weld the slot up, then grind it smooth again.

Test sample steel plate.

Beaten into a bit of a curve then a 1mm cut in it.

1mm cut welded up and ground smooth. This all took nearly five minutes.

Australian Wildlife Photographer

Barry Armstead Photography
    ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

• What's the total weight going to be? Will you be able to wear it without toppling over? lol
      Adrian

Gear List

Comment

• Originally posted by Tatts View Post
        What's the total weight going to be? Will you be able to wear it without toppling over? lol

Absolutely. It will be heavier yes, but it all depends on what gauge I use. I may be able to make some weight savings in places as well, but nowhere near as heavy as your regular knight in shining armour...

Ya gotta remember, the weight of the entire costume is distributed over your body, not sitting on your shoulders only like a heavy backpack. I regularly carry up to 30kg on my back all day when I go hiking in the mountains.

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

• Might be able to keep going with the aluminium build after all!

A very generous and total stranger has just offered his TIG welder to me to construct my Iron Man suit!

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

• Thanks so much to my new random internet friend named Ben for dropping off his TIG today! You are so very kind and generous to give so freely mate! Now I can really get going on the suit!

These kids in their wards are going to go beserk with happiness!

Baz.

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

• There are still nice people in the world.

Comment

• I had a little practice run at TIG welding tonight.

Finally, I have found something I am not only bad at... but I totally suck at beyond human comprehension.

I have absolutely no idea what I am doing at all.

This is so hard, it's almost discouraging enough for me to scrap the whole project.

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

• It really is frustrating when you hit a wall like this.

Trying to keep my spirits up and a positive attitude, I picked up the correct grade of aluminium today, (5005). Clean, no paint or residue and the proper one for welding and anodising.

Got the aluminium supplier to guillotine some 1mm strips off the parent sheet so I can use the same grade as a filler rod when welding.

These should keep me going for a while.

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

• NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE!!! GAAAAAHHHHH!!!

This time I used clean sheet, no contaminants and had a practice weld. I was happy with it.

The moment I went to a suspended gap weld, it went to ****.

So I ground it back, cleaned it and had another go. Worse.

Stuff this. I'm about to give the whole project away.

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

• Well, it's decision time. Time to close the door on the aluminium build.

Ben, who lent me the welder came to my aid today to see if I am trainable in TIG welding. I'm not.

The hardest part was accepting the fact that I am not good at something I really want to be. It actually comes as a relief. Time to move on to the things that I am good at.

TIG welding a job like this is something to be attempted by someone with years of TIG experience. Even then, it's a daunting job.

I know it is unrealistic to expect to be instantly good at it. I realise it does take a lot of time to practice, but it's time I don't have.

I'm going back to steel and going to be MIG welding, which I can do. The suit will be heavier sure, but still manageable. I can fabricate in steel in a fraction of the time it takes to do the same in aluminium.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Ben_Wilson publicly for his tremendous generosity and helping heart in this, as well as Mad_Mic3 for his very inforamative PM's he sent me to help, which look like he put a lot of time and effort into composing for me.

Here's 3 pics to illustrate the arrival at what I think is a sound decision to move on.

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

• Playing with cold-rolled mild steel now. Very soft and easy to work.

Finally got the metal-cutting blade for the band-saw, cut two pieces out beautifully and as I switched the saw off, it went BANG! $40 Brand new blade broken.

I'm seeing a pattern of every time a door opens, another one closes on this project. How many years have I been at this? :squint:

Getting very fast at this part. Cut and shaped it in 1/2 an hour. Ready to weld. Should be able to get this welded up on Saturday.

Playing with cold-rolled mild steel now. Very soft and easy to work.

Finally got the metal-cutting blade for the band-saw, cut two pieces out beautifully and as I switched the saw off, it went BANG! $40 Brand new blade broken.

I'm seeing a pattern of every time a door opens, another one closes on this project. How many years have I been at this? :squint:

Getting very fast at this part. Cut and shaped it in 1/2 an hour. Ready to weld. Should be able to get this welded up on Saturday.

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

• Had a little win last night. My aircraft-grade tin-snips cut the smaller pieces with ease. Bottom lip cut in less than two minutes.

SUCCESS!!!!! I welded the steel faceplate all up this afternoon! A bit of fiddling with the settings on the welder as I am not used to welding steel this thin, (1mm). Now to grind it back and sand it smooth. Let the real suit begin!!!!!!!

Last edited by Barry; 19-09-2014, 05:33 PM.

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

• Grind back with a flap disc. Looking good.

Last edited by Barry; 19-09-2014, 05:37 PM.

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

• Did some fill-welding in low points and cracks then re-ground smooth.

Welded in some thin strips in the eyes. I'll be doing this right around the faceplate.

Thin strip filed smooth and shaped the edge. That's starting to give it some depth now.

Started on the next bits. Small steps and taking time will get this done.

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

• I had a day off work today, so I spent most of it in the workshop. All the parts for the helmet cut out and beaten into shape, ready to tack together and weld.

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

Working...
                                X