Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. I've found that a very light spray of colour (and I mean light), can help in the sanding process to clearly identify low-spots. The downside is that if you spray too heavy, the paint can very quickly clog your sandpaper.

2. Rough filler application continues around the left side.

3. Now getting a bit of an idea of symmetry for adjustment.
    Australian Wildlife Photographer

Barry Armstead Photography
    ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

Looking good Barry. btw I like how you have an outline of your tools that are hanging on our shed wall. That way if you are lazy and haven't put your 'toys' away, the wife can come in and match the tool with the outline lol. Very cool.
      Anna
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/ladymilli/
      My stuff - 7D |100mm macro|Tamron 17-50mm|50mm 1.8|Sigma 50mm 1.4| stuff for macro

Comment

Originally posted by millicat View Post
        Looking good Barry. btw I like how you have an outline of your tools that are hanging on our shed wall. That way if you are lazy and haven't put your 'toys' away, the wife can come in and match the tool with the outline lol. Very cool.
        Thanks Anna. It's called a shadow-board and I have to finish it. Every tool has a place and it makes it soooo much easier to find things and put things back where they belong!

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

I've been trying several iterations of arc reactor because the first one is not bright enough. I think I'm happy with this third attempt.

The sanding continues.

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

Night-time project - Iron Man's arms. preparing to cut all the parts out of 23 sheets of 200gsm card-stock per arm, before folding, gluing and hardening.

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

Here's over 8 hours work last night and today. Upper arm/bicep and shoulder-bells for right arm constructed from card-stock ready for resin hardening. Fits my arm nicely.

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

Had a friend come over yesterday. I bogged up the torso while he applied resin to all the arm components. Today I filled each piece with a 4:1 slush-mix of car-body-filler and fibreglass resin. Rock solid on the inside now, ready for fibreglass matt on the inside then filler on the outside for sanding and detailing.

Checking for proportions, this thing is looking MEEEAANNN! Can't wait to put it on!

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

Originally posted by Jcas
                  Wow I so admire your dedication to the project, also your know how, yes it does look rather mean, i wouldn't like to bang into you on a dark night with it on.
                  Neither would the dark knight.....

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

You are no ordinary geek Barry, truly you are a star amongst geeks.
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/77375175@N04/
                    Haven't been there, not done that.
                    Jo

Comment

Seems someone was spying on my top-secret project with an iPhone.....

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

Fitting finished pieces together is proving quite difficult. The pepakura files show you how to make the pieces, but not how to fit them together.

I've now filled each arm-piece with slush-cast, but not yet reinforced them with fibreglass mat. I wanted to check for fit first.

I put the shoulder bell on, upper arm, forearm and wrist with the elbow pivot plate in between. Bent my elbow and promptly broke the pivot plate. I think I might make one (temporary template) out of cardboard, fit it and get it working, then make one out of aluminium plate.

It fits well though. Nice and snug with just a little room for padding inside.

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

Your dedication and patience is amazing and admirable.

Comment

cheers dude.

Baz.

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

Just having some fun with the phone camera.

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

Barry, do you have OCD ? ... seems like you need to be busy doing something to prevent you from going potty ... ie the observatory and now the iron man suit lol.

It looks like it's coming along nicely, maybe ready for xmas and some fancy dress parties .. or better still Supanova or Comic-con. Melbourne in July this year and Perth and Adelaide in 2014. You would be awesome for Cosplay.

http://www.ozcomiccon.com/cosplay.aspx
                                Anna
                                https://www.flickr.com/photos/ladymilli/
                                My stuff - 7D |100mm macro|Tamron 17-50mm|50mm 1.8|Sigma 50mm 1.4| stuff for macro

Comment

Working...
                                X