Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by millicat View Post
    Saw this video on fb and instantly thought of you and your Iron Man in the making. Very cool huh.
    http://youtu.be/SpJGpCsW0jE
    Not sure that's quite my style, but I bet the kids love it!
    Australian Wildlife Photographer

Barry Armstead Photography
    ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

• Did a bit of work with the boots this week. I haven't had much time.

I finished welding up all the joins and seams, added some bottom plates to glue on the tread. Cut away a part of the top so I can get my leather boots in. This piece will re-attach with some tabs and bolts later.

I cut some circles out of thick aluminium to bulk out the foot pivot. Later I have to cut some notches in them for movie-accuracy.

To raise the overall height of the suit, I will be welding in a false bottom in the heel about an inch above the bottom.

Tried them on and found them to be pretty comfortable and the foot rolls well. There's a slight pinch on the back of the Achilles tendon from the rigid steel, but I peined it out on a tow-ball so now it's got a rounded edge against the back of my foot. Little adjustments along the way and it will be fine.

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

• Found a special brush to go on the bench grinder that removes scale and rust and leaves a brushed satin finish to the steel.

I'm ready to start installing the servos for the faceplate and then the lighting.

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

• That brush satin finish looks really good. Your other comment about having a project in mind that will make this one seem like a matchbox just makes my mind boggle.

Comment

• Originally posted by P Plates View Post
            That brush satin finish looks really good. Your other comment about having a project in mind that will make this one seem like a matchbox just makes my mind boggle.

Yeah, its a combination of being really excited about starting it and dreading it.......

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

• I haven't had a lot of time on the suit lately, but I got a bit of a chance today. Next week I have some late-shift work so I should get a few hours in.

The tricky part about getting into a rigid suit, is that certain parts of your body are wider than others. I've solved this by splitting the suit in two and welding in some tabs with nuts welded on the inside.

My number two fitter will dress me with a cordless impact driver and an ice-cream container full of bolts.

I'm not going to do much clean-up until I'm sure there's no more cutting and welding mods left.

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

• When you put fat wheels on a car, often you have to roll or flare the guards. Likewise, when I try to fit my fat ass into the Iron Man suit, I have to add some extra-flared guards around the hip-pods.......

Cardboard templates to be traced onto steel.

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

• It's been a while but I finally got some more time in the shed. This is the time-consuming part now that the suit is built, I have to cut it apart and put in joining/attachment points so I can get into the darned thing.

Also tweaked the reactor a bit and started to fit it into the chest armour.

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

• That is a lot of work for a fancy dress party,
                    Better a full bottle in front of me
                    than a full frontal lobotomy.
                    Hans

Comment

• Originally posted by HansE View Post
                      That is a lot of work for a fancy dress party,

It'll be getting far more noble use than that.

Fiddly work.

Modifying the boots so they fit over my old army boots. Welded in a false heel to raise me off the ground another inch and a half then modified the top of the boot to be removable for ease of getting in and out.

Still got to trim the bolts protruding inside flush with the nut I've welded in there. Soon I can grind back all the welds, bog them up a bit smooth all the edges and paint them. Rubber soles will be glued on underneath to protect the hospital floors.

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

• 30 second video of walking in the boots.

https://youtu.be/CpZXw17b3o8

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

• Now that's sorted out and I can actually wear them, it's time to tweak the comfort before I clean them up and put the rubber soles under them.

I have to cut a couple of comfort lines where it pinches or rubs slightly.

Also started to build a housing inside the chest for the arc reactor.

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

• Got to take my hat off to you Barry!

Comment

• Originally posted by seaslug View Post
                              Got to take my hat off to you Barry!

Make sure you put it back on or you'll get sunburnt! :P

Thanks so much mate!

Baz.

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

• Welded in a housing with hook tabs for elastic bands to secure the reactor. Easy removal to replace lighting should the need arise.

Nice balance.

Yea boii.

Balancing act.

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

Working...
                                X