Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ironwoods whenever shots

I have decided to start this thread in projects. I will post photos that I wouldn't start a thread for on their own. They could be of anything.

Feel free to comment on them.
    Cheers, Brad.

I have a creek running through one side of my property, there are Platypus living along some sections. They are very timid and disappear at the slightest noise or movement.
    These are the first time I have managed to photograph any of them. Not very good shots, the creek was in deep shadow, hence the high iso, 3200 and 6400.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8103.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	425061

Name:	DSC_8126.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	425062

Name:	DSC_8132.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	425063
    Cheers, Brad.

Comment

• seaslug
      seaslug commented
      Editing a comment
      They are cute though! Are you able to get close enough to use flash Brad?

• Ironwood
      Ironwood commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes very cute . From what I have seen of them in the last 12 years, I count myself lucky to even get these poor shots. This one was about 30 meters up from where I was standing, bit too far for flash.

• millicat
      millicat commented
      Editing a comment
      That is just so cool to see one in the wild and not in a zoo ..

I went for a walk along the creek when I got home from work, hoping to get some bird shots. I spotted another Platypus (or maybe the same one ) It was in a well shaded section as usual .

I managed to get a few shots before I spooked it, I tried to crouch down to get a clear shot under a low hanging branch and I crunched a twig under my foot, the Platypus disappeared instantly. I waited about 20 minutes for it to resurface, no such luck.

These are handheld with the Nikon D7100 and Tamron 150-600 , @ 600mm, f6.7, 1/500th, and iso 3200.

Name:	DSC_8221.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	425199

Name:	DSC_8229.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	425200

Name:	DSC_8247.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	425201
    Cheers, Brad.

Comment

• millicat
      millicat commented
      Editing a comment
      Even though the images aren't the best, it is still a great thing to share and keep.

Pity about the light as they are otherwise well composed. I think they have become reasonably comfortable with people at the Arboretum, but they are flighty with kids about.

Comment

• Ironwood
      Ironwood commented
      Editing a comment
      There is a spot up at Eungella ( about an hours drive NW of here ) that the tourists can go and see them. Apparently they swim around in full view there, they must be used to humans.

How lucky to have them in your 'backyard' ...... have seen the odd one in the wild over the years.
    At Bombala they swim in the river behind the caravan park (have not had much luck photographing them) .... also out of town there is a viewing platform as well (spotted a snake swim across the river while we were at the platform - from the opposite side TO the side we were on).
    Barb
    "If you change the way you look at things ........ the things you look at change"

Comment

how cool is that. would love to have them living in my backyard.
      perhaps one day..................
      Stephen Davey. Nikon Shooter

Comment

How lucky are you to have those little fellas in you patch, that is truly wonderful.
        Lloyd
        Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
        Flickr
        Smugmug

Comment

Cheers Barb, Stephan, and Lloyd. Yes I consider myself to be lucky everyday to live where I do. Its great to be able to walk around my property and see the wildlife.
          I haven't been back down to the creek since I took those last lot of photos, too busy with work and life in general, will have to make time soon.
          Cheers, Brad.

Comment

I took these photos off the end of my verandah this afternoon, these Wompoo Pigeons seem to be using this hollow on the side of this tree for a nest, they have been coming and going from here for a few weeks now. The base of the tree is down where I was standing when I took the photos of the Platypus, the hollow branch is about 20 meters up, it is on the same level as my verandah, but about 45 meters out. It is heavily tree'd with plenty of shade, makes it a bit difficult.
            I took them handheld with the Nikon D7100, and Tamron 150-600.
            @600mm, f6.3, 1/1250, iso3200

Name:	DSC_9518.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	428047

@600mm, f6.3, 1/1000, iso2000

Name:	DSC_9492.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	428048
            Cheers, Brad.

Comment

you have critiqued your own images here with the bird. but still nice to see pix of this guy. we dont get them around here
              Stephen Davey. Nikon Shooter

Comment

I think we get those pigeons here .. never seen one but some folk in Kuranda (up the hill) have taken photos of some pretty pigeons.
                Anna
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/ladymilli/
                My stuff - 7D |100mm macro|Tamron 17-50mm|50mm 1.8|Sigma 50mm 1.4| stuff for macro

Comment

Cheers Anna, my book shows their habitat right the way up the coast to Cape York, so you should have them around your area.
                  We are lucky to have them resident in the bush around our house, we see and hear them on a daily basis, I am finding it a bit challenging to get good photos of them though, they are always in the shady areas, so I am always pushing the limits with iso and slow shutter speeds.
                  Cheers, Brad.

Comment

Working...
                  X