Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uh Oh, this will be expensive

Hopelessly bogged and the nine metre tide has just turned.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1036.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	400633

And now a mate has foolishly followed in his tracks.

Name:	IMG_1049.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	400634

Here's a wide shot. I drive out here regularly but never pass the red arrow...and that's never ever ever drive past it. Ever.

In a couple of hours the water will be 2.5 metres deep at the arrow.

The tides here claim quite a few vehicles each year and I feel some sympathy for these guys, especially the mate who has attempted the rescue but sheesh, it was idiotic to be out there in the first place.

(The two tiny white dots on the right are the vehicles)

Name:	IMG_1050.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	400635

Last edited by loose cannon; 22-12-2014, 02:05 AM.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Question everything ~ Christopher Hitchins

There are a few places in Qld that I know this happens too, especially with visitors who don't know the area. But wait, aren't Toyotas unbreakable??

Comment

Always good for a bit of beachside entertainment!.. But yes, you do feel for the silly buggers.

Comment

Saw a similar thing on FB yesterday on the NSW coast .... yep, silly buggers
        Barb
        "If you change the way you look at things ........ the things you look at change"

Comment

Thanks folks..

And yes Gabby, Toyotas are unbreakable...but don't cut the mustard as boats.

Had a couple of 'moments' with my Hilux on the beaches I'd rather forget. Damn those tides move fast

Comment

No comment...just a smirk

What if there were no Hypothetical questions?
            CC always welcomed, feel free to post your ideas with an edit if you have time - Thanks.

Comment

It reminds me of a time long ago at Karratha, where the boss of mining told the workers they had to go in, even though a cyclone had just passed.
              Let's say the boss never made it in.
              Will insurance cover that?
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/77375175@N04/
              Haven't been there, not done that.
              Jo

Comment

Can't comment to the insurance outcome Jo, never had insurance of any kind myself but I'd be surprised if it did cover them. Both vehicles are reasonably late model so this could be a seriously expensive lesson on driving on mudflats...especially mudflats that already have a layer of water on top.

About a hundred metres from shore even walking becomes difficult, how they got out that far boggles the mind.

Comment

The original vehicle stuck is a late 1980s or 1990 Izuzu crew cab and would be lucky to be worth $1000 these days.

Comment

Depends where you live, condition of the vehicle etc etc

I was recently offered $7500 cash for my '88 2.8 diesel Hilux with 330k on the clock.

No a/c or power steering either, just the bare basic model but recent full underbody rebuild, HEMA navigator, ,six new quality tyres and rims, sturdy roof rack and bullbar with bush bars, good spotties, twin battery system, new radiator, new exhaust, drivers seat rebuilt to better than new spec, serviced at 5k intervals from new... etc etc.

I couldn't see myself replacing the Lux for anything under about 15k considering what I demand from a 4wd.

In Perth its worth $2k, maybe $2.5k , in the Kimberley its gold.

Comment

Comparing a HiLux in northern Australia with an Izuzu is like comparing a Mercedes with a piece of lemon peel.

FWIW You should have taken the money. A friend of my sons just purchased a 300,000km 4WD Hilux in pretty good nick in Melbourne for $3300.00

Comment

And once he spends about five or ten grand on it perhaps it will be on par with mine. I wouldn't take $10k for mine, $15k would be getting close but no cigar.

Comment

G'day Mick

and following on from the OP ... did you stick around to see the results?
                          Did magic happen? - or did the expected happen??

Phil

Comment

I couldn't watch Phil, certainly couldn't bring myself to capture the event so I went home. The expected happened I've heard, both vehicles absolutely totalled.

I've seen the aftermath before, the strong tides slowly roll the vehicles along the ocean floor and pulverize them. There's a high risk of drowning too as the tide rises very quickly but these guys had a dingy so were ok. They had a twenty minute walk to shore and the water would have been a metre deep before they were even half way. Dangerous stuff.

A mate of mine was caught many years ago on the other side of the bay. He was chasing mud crabs and found himself a in a similar situation. Tells me he felt the top of the mangrove trees touching his tummy as he swam in.

The big tides here are lethal if you give them a chance.

Comment

Working...
                            X