Trachinops with a red Gorgonian fan.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fan.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	773.5 KB
ID:	418721

Very effective perspective

Comment

Love the colour of the fan and the small fish provide some scale. Interesting world down there.
      -----------------------------------------------------
      Question everything ~ Christopher Hitchins

Comment

Thanks Mick and Gabby, it's something that I've been passionate about for many years.

It's very difficult to portray what it's like to be there to those who haven't dived. To be able to move truly in three dimensions with the only sounds you hear is your own breathing and the odd click and squeak from the unseen creatures around you is pretty special..

To photograph underwater, everything moves, you, your subjects, the medium your in and the light decreases and filters out colours with any increase in depth. I'll never master it, but if I get some pleasure out of showing others and getting feedback.. well that's plenty for me.

Cheers.

Comment

That is pretty cool ... like an underwater christmas tree with the fish being ornaments hanging off it ..
          I can imagine how tricky it must be with what you mentioned, everything moving .. but you must get some good shots that you thought might not turn out so good.
          Anna
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/ladymilli/
          My stuff - 7D |100mm macro|Tamron 17-50mm|50mm 1.8|Sigma 50mm 1.4| stuff for macro

Comment

Great angle for the shot Greg, I suppose floating about like that, you could just about do any angle, unlike us landlubbers - we're limited to age and the flexibility of of our joints!
            I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
            "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

Originally posted by Isac View Post
              Great angle for the shot Greg, I suppose floating about like that, you could just about do any angle, unlike us landlubbers - we're limited to age and the flexibility of of our joints!
              Absolutely true Isac. I love the weightlessness in the water but unfortunately it comes with the penalty of having to gear up prior to the dive and getting very heavy gear back off after the dive! I know what buggerd joints are all about too after 48 years of auto mechanicing on concrete floors. Don't know how many dives are still left in me but I'm looking forward to a trip back to Lord Howe Island in October!

Comment

Originally posted by millicat View Post
                That is pretty cool ... like an underwater christmas tree with the fish being ornaments hanging off it ..
                I can imagine how tricky it must be with what you mentioned, everything moving .. but you must get some good shots that you thought might not turn out so good.
                Thanks Anna, sometimes I surprise myself!

Comment

Thank you Greg. That's a long time to make us wait for some tropical splendor!
                  I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
                  "I thought getting OLD would take much longer"

Comment

Originally posted by Isac View Post
                    Thank you Greg. That's a long time to make us wait for some tropical splendor!
                    No worries, you can always look back on my post from Hardy Reef in 'Strobist' until I can get North again. In the meantime I'll put up a few from more temperate waters.

Comment

Working...
                    X