No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spot the hazard.

I didn't!

Walked straight past it on my way back into camp and didn't see it till I turned around and sat in my chair.

Way to close to home for comfort so I chased it out of the spinifex bush, it went under my tent. Flipped the tent on its side and it went under the car. Chased it out from under the car and it went back under the tent.

Fun,fun,fun.

Left it alone for a while to let it settle down, it's getting dark so I need a plan, this is 2m of king brown in my camp and I'm not happy.

Snapped a dead branch off a tree, pinned its head to the ground, picked it up and took it for a 50m walk downstream.

I don't make a habit of picking up snakes and doubt I'll ever do that again, never been so nervous in my life!

Gettin' too old for this stuff

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1319.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	427360

-----------------------------------------------------
    Question everything ~ Christopher Hitchins

A few tense moments there Mick. Not the sort of thing you want around the camp. I nearly stepped on a 1.2m black snake at the door of my shed the other day, don't know who got the biggest fright, me or him, luckily for me , he took off real quick in the direction of the bush.
    Cheers, Brad.

Comment

Love finding snakes in the bush but they stress me out when they turn up in camp.

These days I'm wearing boots and long pants most of the time when out birding and feel much more relaxed for doing so. The shorts and sandal approach has delivered too many 'moments' over the years.

Used up my annual adrenaline supply all in one day while dealing with that one

Comment

Gutsy effort Mick.

Comment

Cheers Greg.

Comment

Too cold for those you would think. Been a few about this winter strangely. Good decision to move it along I think.
            Sony A7rii
            https://www.redbubble.com/people/Tod...ortfolio?asc=u

Comment

Only had a handful of days this dry season that could be called cool Todd. Warmest dry season I can remember following on from one of the driest wet seasons we've had.

It's 6:30pm here now and 27c, crazy for late July. Took that image a couple of weeks ago. I can go a couple of years without seeing a snake anywhere but have had about half a dozen encounters in the last year.

Might have to start camping on the beaches

Comment

Red belly good fun unless you are near the mother,s nest I can remember the story from my grand paper old bushie when they were bitten would sit under a tree apply tornaquay and watch the poison travel up that part of the body.
                cheers
                Rod
                Wacko-Ocker Photography

I shoot with a camera until I get paid to say other wise

www.wacko-ocker.smugmug.com

Comment

Gee, that sounds like fun

Comment

No wonder they call you loose cannon!!!!
                    Yikes!!
                    D7100, SB700. PS CS5, LR 4.4 - Flickr

Comment

Look on the bright side Mick .... you have passed the 'stress test' for your old ticker ...... good to go for another 12 months.

Barb
                      "If you change the way you look at things ........ the things you look at change"

Comment

Originally posted by ScottH View Post
                        No wonder they call you loose cannon!!!!
                        Yikes!!
                        In real life my friends call me Mad Mick But it's all relative...I'd rather deal with snakes and crocs than say heavy city traffic.

Originally posted by Sully View Post
                        Look on the bright side Mick .... you have passed the 'stress test' for your old ticker ...... good to go for another 12 months.
                        Yep, that should've cleaned out the arteries a bit. The old ticker was in top gear for a while, I'm no hero in the bush and snakes always give me the heeby jeebies.

Comment

Working...
                        X